PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #10 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 8:27 PM
In the last update (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33012) I had just gotten the windows roughed in.

Well, I am happy to say that, "She's done". Just in time too. The new happy home owner is coming by midday tomorrow to pick it up and head south to Massachusetts and put it in the exhibition. Got nine pics for your review.
This first one is an art shot. I like it, so I'm throwing it out there/here.
Windows have been built and are in; siding and trim are on; and the shakes have been laid up. My glue up lamination of the jambs failed due to not enough flexibility, so I bandsawed the arches out of flat stock and shaved and sanded til they fit. That was a long day. Trimming them out was tedious and getting the siding to butt up to the trim wore me out.
Nice shot of the front elevation again with the windows in this time.
Same shot just slightly to the side.
And a close up of my friend,The Tower. I'll never forget that day. Musta climbed that ladder 438 times.:D

Okay, next up, will be a few interiors.

Jim Hager
03-18-2006, 8:34 PM
Really nice Andy, I even called for LOML to take a look at it. She was impressed as I am. Oh, for that kind of patience.

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 8:42 PM
Oops. One more exterior shot showing the shakes installed at a 10" exposure. Note the vertical course of 1x4 strapping at 16" o/c. This vents the roof which is essential in any cathedral space (no pun intended - although this is where that term comes from). On top of that are 1x8 and 1x12 sheathing planks which act as the nail base for the shakes. There are other ways to vent a roof for a timberframe, but this is how the folks in Miramichi did it, so I did too.
Nice inside shot. Got the chair rail installed, swept us the mess the builder left behind, and we're good to go.
One more interior shot from a different angle. Couldn't get any close ups of the windows due to various lighting diffugilties. I'll try again tomorrow and see if natural light will help.
And lastly, we have a shot from where the choir loft might be if there was one.

This has been fun running this line of threads for you folks. It added some potential for self inflicted punishment in terms of embarrassment if I hadn't met the deadline, but since I acknowledge that I'm a horrible procrastinator I chose to do this to make sure I got it done. It took twenty-two non stop days averaging about eleven hours a day. It will quite likely take twice that time to get all the CA glue off my hands and fingers; and outta my hair.

Thanks!

Steve Ash
03-18-2006, 8:49 PM
Andy, I've enjoyed following along with your project...quite impressive and detailed. I'm like Jim, I called my wife over to have a look. She was also pretty amazed.

Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see what others do and the skills they posess. I'm also glad you met your deadline....sit back and relax, you've earned it.

Don Baer
03-18-2006, 8:54 PM
Butiful Job Ando Now I guess you'd better head for the Bomb shelter...:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 8:55 PM
Thanks, Jim and Steve. Oops you too Don

I'm gonna jump off now and go get a monster bowl of White Chocolate Chip and slather it with some Grade A Fancy that was just boiled today! Aint nothin finer.

Dan Oliphant
03-18-2006, 9:21 PM
Andy, I have been following this thread sense you started the project, and I must say that this is the finest representation of scaled work that I have ever seen.
What you have achieved with this project is amazing, well done sir!!!!

Jim Becker
03-18-2006, 9:27 PM
That's a mighty fine project, Andy. Wonderful!

David Fried
03-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Andy,

Reminds me of my own home projects - calling it done when 2/3 of the windows are in, 4/5 of the roof is on, etc.. Very realistic!

Thanks for the series, I realize you're a professional and I won't try this at home!

While I'm sure the customer will be thrilled, you, my friend, have run out of bonker avoidance excuses!!!

Dave Fried

Mark Stutz
03-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Andy,
Thanks so much for documenting this process for us. I sit in awe every time a new edition comes around. Since I knew nothing about timber framing, this was very educational as well. From an historical perspective, what would the original framers have used on the roof, since they would not have had insulating foam panels:D .
Please keep us in mind for another project in the future.

Bruce Page
03-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Bravo!

Inspiring work!

Dick Parr
03-19-2006, 1:00 AM
Wonderful job Andy, you did good.:D Beautiful work!;)

Jim Ketron
03-19-2006, 1:12 AM
Nice Job Andy!
You do some great looking work!
Now get back to turning :D

Gary Herrmann
03-19-2006, 2:12 AM
Very well done, Andy. And the "art shot" was especially nice.

Karl Laustrup
03-19-2006, 7:29 AM
I'm almost at a loss for words. Congrats on finishing within the time constraints put forth. Got to be some relief knowing that it's done. Triple scoop is justified and earned. :)

Question is, will it fit in the transport vehicle?

How about the furniture, pews etc., when do you start those?

What about the bell? In all those 400+ trips up and down the steeple you forgot the bell!!! :eek: :D You should make one more trip up and set the bell. Just think how pleasent the ride will be to Mass. with the bell dinging all the way. :D

Karl

Jim Dunn
03-19-2006, 8:24 AM
I too was almost lost for words. That scared me and I had to think of something real fast: Great, Wonderful, Beautiful, Real nice. Could get out the thesaursus but that would be cheating. You know I like it.

Tom Drake
03-19-2006, 8:34 AM
Beautiful work Andy. I've enjoyed following your progress.

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks again, one and all.

Dan - Your words are especially meaningful. Thanks very much.

Mark - In europe thatched roofs were the norm (and often still is) and here in the colonies thatching was done when the right material was available as well as riven planks. As for insulation - nothing! That's what distilled spirits, wool, and a sweetheart were for. And still are, as well.

David/Jim - I'll be bonkering in a few minutes.

Karl - Doh! Shoulda thought of that. Would have been cool!

Tyler Howell
03-19-2006, 11:03 AM
[quote=David Fried]Andy,

Reminds me of my own home projects - calling it done when 2/3 of the windows are in, 4/5 of the roof is on, etc.. Very realistic!
LOL!
Mine too!:o :o
Well done Andy:cool:

Fred LeBail
03-19-2006, 1:17 PM
Andy, it has been quite a ride watching do this project especially since I can see the actual site from my property on the Miramichi River. As others have said you did a great job both on the thread and especially the scale model.
But, having lived here all of my life I know how cold it gets when the wind blows from the North West, the Parishoners on that side will be a bit drafty!!

I am sure the clients will be pleased and I can't wait to see it in person next year when it arrives on the Miramichi.

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 1:22 PM
Thanks, Fred.

Hey! Any chance of you going over there and get a few current shots of the inside and outside. Be kinda cool to see what it look likes now, as all I've ever seen were pics at the very end of, and during, construction.

Fred LeBail
03-19-2006, 1:28 PM
Ok Andy , I will try to get inside to give you some interior shots and also some site pic's as well. It may be a couple of days (work commitments) but will get'er done.

tod evans
03-19-2006, 1:32 PM
nice work andy!

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 4:32 PM
Thanks, Fred. Can't wait!

Well, here are two more pics hot off the press to prove that "I got 'er done".

The second shot demonstrates how to give your new house that lived in look.
34309 34310

Frank Chaffee
03-19-2006, 6:22 PM
Andy,
Since I first saw your cute face peeking thru a scaled building (doll house?), last year and learned that you were doing downscaled timber framing, a construction process that you were sharing with your young daughter, I have been interested in seeing exactly the details that you have chronicled in this thread. I think I have followed this thread more closely than any other on SMC.
Even if your motivation for this thread was to encourage a procrastinator to work those 22 consecutive 11 hour days or risk public embarrassment, I thank you for taking the time to share the developments with us, and with me particularly.
I really liked seeing the scaled marking board for lumber, and your milling setup for mortise and tenon joints. Too bad those new “Bobs Rules” tape measures are still so expensive.
If ever you are moved to document a downscaled design construction here again, I will be in the audience.
Wishing you many well deserved bowls of ice cream,
Frank

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2006, 6:29 PM
Excellent work Andy!!! I admire you work here. Great craftsmanship!!!! Thanks for sharing the progress.

John Miliunas
03-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Wow, Andy!!! That is just way, way too nice. :D I just can't get over the absolute realism in scale and construction, which it so wonderfully displays! You're a true craftsman, Andy! :) BTW, did I happen to mention, "WOW!!!"??? :D :cool:

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-20-2006, 1:30 PM
Great work Andy! Your attention to detail is amazing.

Mike

Fred Voorhees
03-20-2006, 6:16 PM
Good God Andy! That is absolutely masterful. Very impressive and inspiring.

Howie French
03-20-2006, 6:31 PM
Andy, I really enjoy your work. Just Beautiful, the workmanship is fanastic !
Great pics as well !

Howie

Barry Stratton
03-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks for sharing this project! Amazing attention to detail and all that other mushy stuff.... If you are ever in my neck of the woods, I'll buy you an ice cream!! This will go with those other classic Sawmilll Creek threads like Stu's logging in Tokyo one.

Andy Hoyt
03-21-2006, 8:47 AM
Again, thanks to all for your comments. Encouragement is a powerful force!

Barry - I've been to AK a few times - The Kenai in the mid 70's and Eagle River just after 9/11. A marvelous place.

And extra special thanks go out to Fred LeBail who has just done as promised. He posted these pics in another thread, and I've copied them over to here so that they'll be preserved together for all time.

You da man, Fred.

34464 34465 34466 34467

Andy Hoyt
03-21-2006, 8:49 AM
Some more

That's it. Again - Thanks Fred. These were great to see.

Curt Fuller
03-22-2006, 8:38 PM
I sure have enjoyed watching this project evolve. And now seeing what it's all about even makes it better. Thanks Andy. I'll bet your daughter's doll houses are the envy of every girl that ever saw them.

Andy Hoyt
05-14-2006, 9:48 AM
Thought you folks might enjoy this pic.

On my way down to Derry, NH for the turning symposium I detoured to Lawrence, Massachusetts so I could see the model in its intended setting.

Not sure if I mentioned this before during the project, but.... when I'm building these things I often feel like a surrogate mother - doing all I can to ensure a healthy life yet knowing full well that I'll have to give it up for adoption before too long. So it made "this mother" proud to see my offspring all grown up and holding its own in its new life.

Jim Dunn
05-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Andy I'd be proud too! I get the same feeling when I go to my mom's house and a bowl of mine is on the coffee table.

John Miliunas
05-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Sorry Andy but, at the very least, you need to lose the beard before you convince us of being any type of "mother"!!! :D Seriously, I bet it feels great seeing you work in a place of prominence, though I'm sure there is some seperation anxiety! I always enjoy seeing your work and, maybe one of these years, I'll be able to see it in person! Good job, man! :) :cool:

John Hart
05-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Happy Mother's Day Andy!!! It is a very nice display. You should be proud.:)

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Andy, I'm glad you posted that last picture...it really gives us an idea of the true scale of the project!! (And happy Mother's Day!)

BTW, I think it is likely that we will be able to stop by in July since we have to go right by to our wedding in the Bangor area. Hopefully, you'll have something neat in progress.

Andy Hoyt
05-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Thannks, guys.

That's good news, Jim. Looking forward to meeting you.

But if you really need a guarantee of something in progress, I suggest you flex your "plastic muscle":D

Ian Barley
05-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Not sure if I mentioned this before during the project, but.... when I'm building these things I often feel like a surrogate mother - doing all I can to ensure a healthy life yet knowing full well that I'll have to give it up for adoption before too long.

Andy - Beautiful work and great to see it in place.

One of my customers once compared my approach to selling my stuff as being like "giving away kittens". I liked this. I did once tell a lady who had been rude at a show that she wasn't allowed to buy the chair that she wanted because she wouldn't appreciate it. Needless to say I had already filled my days sales quota! It can be tough to let go and I can only imagine how much tougher with one-offs like yours.

Frank Chaffee
05-14-2006, 1:30 PM
So it made "this mother" proud to see my offspring all grown up and holding its own in its new life.
…And rightfully so, Andy.
Happy “Mother’s” Day, you’ve earned it.
Now go make up a special ice cream blend as your reward.

Frank

Jim Becker
05-14-2006, 1:34 PM
But if you really need a guarantee of something in progress, I suggest you flex your "plastic muscle"

Here ya go...

Chris Barton
05-14-2006, 4:24 PM
Magnificent!

Karl Laustrup
05-14-2006, 8:05 PM
Looking good Andy.

I can tell from the picture the pride you have in that piece. :cool: :D

One question though, is there a reference to the artisan that labored to make it what it is today? If not, I think there should be.

Karl

Curt Fuller
05-14-2006, 8:12 PM
Thanks for posting that display. It really puts the entire project in perspective seeing it in the setting it was built for. That looks like something that would be as fun and rewarding as turning can be.
Congratulations proud Mother!

Vaughn McMillan
05-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Excellent capping-off of a wonderful project. You have lots of reason to be proud, and the final display installation looks great. So who is that handsome-looking young man in the picture? Is that the client, or some professional model made up to look all "backwoods" and stuff?

- Vaughn