PDA

View Full Version : Making a silk purse out of a sows ear

Don Baer
03-18-2006, 7:17 PM
Since it was raining today and I extra time. I decided to tune up my planes. My neighbor came over with a brand new cheapy "Great Neck" plane and asked me if I wanted it since he said it was a piece of $&^*. This plane is similar to my old Bailey #5 so I said I would look at it and see if I could tune it up. I put a good edge on it using the Scary sharp method. The I began to look at the plane. The mouth on it is twice as wide as the one on my Bailey and the Iron was at least 3/8" from the front of the mouth. I readjusted the frog so the the Iron so it is less then a 1/32" to the front of the mouth. Then I reset the chip breaker so it was as close as possible to the front of the blade. I took some scrap maple that I had and adjusted the Iron to wear it will now make shavings that you can read through. A few months ago I wouldn't have had any idea what to do. As a result of my hanging out with you guys I was able to take an inexpensive but inaccurate tool and make it into a fairly good tool. Just posting it to thank you guys for putting up with a newbie Niender

Randy Moore
03-18-2006, 7:36 PM
Don
After tuning the POC plane did you show the neighbor what the plane would do with a little TLC? And did you offer it back to him?

I haven't played with my planes since I got my Dad's tools, so one of these days I will have to go back through the archives and do what you have done.

I am happy that I found this place , the people here are the friendliest bunch I have ever known

Congrats on the plane and making it work.:)

Randy

Don Baer
03-18-2006, 8:06 PM
Actualy Randy I just went over there and took it back to him. I took along a piece of scrap and showed him what it would do, then I left it with him...:D

Jerry Olexa
03-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Since it was raining today and I extra time. I decided to tune up my planes. My neighbor came over with a brand new cheapy "Great Neck" plane and asked me if I wanted it since he said it was a piece of $&^*. This plane is similar to my old Bailey #5 so I said I would look at it and see if I could tune it up. I put a good edge on it using the Scary sharp method. The I began to look at the plane. The mouth on it is twice as wide as the one on my Bailey and the Iron was at least 3/8" from the front of the mouth. I readjusted the frog so the the Iron so it is less then a 1/32" to the front of the mouth. Then I reset the chip breaker so it was as close as possible to the front of the blade. I took some scrap maple that I had and adjusted the Iron to wear it will now make shavings that you can read through. A few months ago I wouldn't have had any idea what to do. As a result of my hanging out with you guys I was able to take an inexpensive but inaccurate tool and make it into a fairly good tool. Just posting it to thank you guys for putting up with a newbie Niender

Don, I did a similiar thing a few weeks ago w my Dad's old planes. Amazing how a liitle time spent sharpening and adjusting pays big dividends. Its a pleasure to now see the thin shavings roll off easily off the new silk surface. I used to think those planes were beyond hope.

willie sobat
03-19-2006, 8:59 AM
Congrats. It just goes to show the importance of skill over equipment. After struggling with sharpening my tools I read about the Scary Sharp System. After that I could put a keen edge on anything. It helped me become the hand tool enthusiast I am today.

Jim Becker
03-19-2006, 9:39 AM
My neighbor came over with a brand new cheapy "Great Neck" plane and asked me if I wanted it since he said it was a piece of $&^*.
Interesting neighbor... ;)

...but it sounds like you have another well-tuned user in your collection now. While even a rank amateur Neander like myself understands there are significant differences in tools, your post shows that with some elbow grease, one can make a tool with issues serviceable. Thanks, Don!