PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project - Wall Clock

John Buzzurro
03-18-2006, 7:05 PM
I love clocks, and I decided to make a wall clock for our family room. After studying various designs, I went with a plan from the October, 1999 issue of Wood Magazine. I pretty much stuck to the plan, except doing the 1/2" inlay that the plan called for, on the top front piece. I felt it would have hidden the beautiful wood.

Wood is QS Curly Red Oak, except the back which is regular oak ply. Clock movement is quartz dual-chime pendulum. Had the glass done at the local glass store. Finish is 1 coat pure tung oil/MS 50/50, 1 coat dewaxed shellac, 3 coats polyurethane.

I didn't necessarily learn much new on this project, but I did get practice on miter joints, and trying to be more accurate with everything I do. I still have a long way to go, but I love doing this stuff.

Thanks for looking.

http://userweb.suscom.net/~jbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/wallclock/WallClock1.jpg

http://userweb.suscom.net/~jbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/wallclock/WallClock2.jpg

Jim Becker
03-18-2006, 7:11 PM
John, I've seen several of these made by folks over the few years I've been involved in woodworking and yours is great! Nice choice of material, too...it has a lot of character.

David Duke
03-18-2006, 7:12 PM
Looking good John, I like the way you wrapped the graing around the clock face.

Bruce Page
03-18-2006, 7:30 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif Great looking school clock John! The miters look perfect, the wood grain/color are awesome!

Tom Pritchard
03-18-2006, 7:33 PM
John, I really like your choice of wood for the clock, it looks great! I bet it was a real bugger to glue up. I've never seen curly red oak before, and the clock is an excellent accent piece for it. Nice job!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2006, 7:33 PM
Great looking clock John. I like the fit and finish. Good choice of woods.

Corey Hallagan
03-18-2006, 9:10 PM
Beautiful clock, great craftsmanship and finish.

Corey

Jason Tuinstra
03-18-2006, 10:41 PM
John, wood selection is the first step in building a great project - and you nailed it. That's some great looking wood and well utilized in this project. Very nice project.

Vaughn McMillan
03-19-2006, 3:12 AM
I agree with Jason...you really pulled all the ingredients together into a nice dish. I don't think I've ever seen curly QS oak, but you show it off nicely, John.

- Vaughn

Tom Drake
03-19-2006, 5:51 AM
Very nice work!

scott spencer
03-19-2006, 8:05 AM
Well done John! Love the look of the curly oak.

Charles Bruno
03-19-2006, 8:39 AM
Nice looking wood John! Your miters are tight good job.

David Eisenhauer
03-19-2006, 9:59 AM
That Sir, is a sure-enough clock. Outstanding work. Obviously nothing but the back-of-your hand to miters. "Filler, we don't need no stinking filler on these miters." The finish was nailed dead-on as well.

lou sansone
03-19-2006, 3:29 PM
good looking clock and very usefull as well. nice job
lou

Pete Harbin
03-19-2006, 6:52 PM
Really nice clock John. That curly oak is beautiful, and you tied it all together nicely.

Pete

Lee Schierer
03-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, what a coincidence. I just ordered the works for the clock LOML wants me to make as a gift. The clock she picked out is also an octagonal School clock. I know who to write to if I have any questions. Nice job.

William Lewis
03-20-2006, 1:03 PM
Beautiful job on the clock. Nice choice of wood and finish.

William Lewis

John Miliunas
03-20-2006, 1:10 PM
Accuracy and timepiece seem to go hand in hand with your example, John!!! Nice, tight joints throughout and, like the others have said, beautiful choice of woods! :) :cool:

John Buzzurro
03-20-2006, 5:09 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words. :)

Howard Norman
03-20-2006, 9:13 PM
John, I really like your choice of wood for the clock, it looks great! I bet it was a real bugger to glue up. I've never seen curly red oak before, and the clock is an excellent accent piece for it. Nice job!
I built a regulator clock many years ago. The glue up of the face was difficult to say the least. It was probable close to 30 years ago and I still remember the problems I had with that glue up.

Howard

Jerry Olexa
03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Well done and great choice of wood...