PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project- Router Table

John Gagnon
03-18-2006, 4:17 PM
Well it took awhile but I finally finished my router table. Now I can get started on the kitchen cabinets. Here's a few pics I took.

Steve Clardy
03-18-2006, 4:22 PM
Looks nice and big!! Drawers inside?

John Gagnon
03-18-2006, 4:52 PM
Looks nice and big!! Drawers inside?
Yes it is big. 37X32 table top. Actually I haven't decided what to do on the inside. All of my router bits are already in aluminum cases, so I might just do shelves. I enclosed the router in a vacuum box, so that is in the middle. The lift cylinders are courtesy of a 1990 Lincoln hood lifts.

Jim Becker
03-18-2006, 4:54 PM
Snazzy fence adjustment mechanism, John! Nice job on the whole project.

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!

Vaughn McMillan
03-18-2006, 5:18 PM
Great job, John. I'm with Jim -- the fence mechanism looks very nice, and I like the lift cylinder idea a lot, too.

- Vaughn

John Hebert
03-18-2006, 5:23 PM
that's a fine looking set up. You did a heck of a nice job:)

John Gagnon
03-18-2006, 5:25 PM
Great job, John. I'm with Jim -- the fence mechanism looks very nice, and I like the lift cylinder idea a lot, too.

- Vaughn
Thanx! guys! I do appreciate it. I did go a little overboard on the fence. It's actually accurate to .002". The fence is T slotted on all 4 sides so I can change and adjust the melamine fence, or add guides or holdowns if I need them.

frank shic
03-18-2006, 5:37 PM
john, that's a FANTASTIC looking router table which will work MARVELOUSLY for your kitchen cabinets. it looks like you've also figured out how to build a decent box. just out of curiosity, why did you choose to overlap the rails over the stiles? most face frames overlap the stiles over the rails.

John Gagnon
03-18-2006, 7:27 PM
john, that's a FANTASTIC looking router table which will work MARVELOUSLY for your kitchen cabinets. it looks like you've also figured out how to build a decent box. just out of curiosity, why did you choose to overlap the rails over the stiles? most face frames overlap the stiles over the rails.
Thanx! Well I used aluminum angle brackets that I made at work to join the cabinet together from the inside, so there was no visible screws. So on the front it was just cosmetics that made the choice.

Corey Hallagan
03-18-2006, 9:12 PM
Very nice router table, I really like the lift top designs myself. I am sure it will serve you well.

Corey

Mark Hollingsworth
03-18-2006, 9:17 PM
Well it took awhile but I finally finished my router table. Now I can get started on the kitchen cabinets. Here's a few pics I took.
Of course it took a while. Anything that nice has to take a while. Looks great. Now show us some routering. mark

Jason Tuinstra
03-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Wow, that's one great looking router table. Very nice design. It looks like it's built like a tank. Should be just what you need to get those cabinets done. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Olexa
03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Very nice work...

Larry Cooke
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
John,

That's a real nice table! Mind if I ask a couple of (possible newbie) questions?

I noticed you placed a switch on the rear of the table, is there a reason for this? I'd be tempted to put it up front, of course I may be missing something here.

What did you do with the top, double 3/4 MDF? Or?

I too am looking to get into making kitchen cabinets and I know I'll need a router table to do it right. I really like yours, so knowing why and how will help me.

Larry

Dave Fifield
03-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Good work John! Some nice features and well executed.

Dave F.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Well executed project John! Excellent!

Pete Harbin
03-19-2006, 1:13 AM
Nicely done John! You should get a lot of use out of it. Really cool fence design.

Pete

Norman Hitt
03-19-2006, 2:51 AM
Very nice, John. Could you show/describe a little more of the details of the fence adjustment system in the center? Nice concept all the way around.

Tom Andersen
03-19-2006, 5:00 AM
Looks fine! Any pics of the inside?

Tom Drake
03-19-2006, 5:49 AM
Great looking router table. What router did you hang under the table?

Jace Weber
03-19-2006, 6:14 AM
Very VERY nice job, it's gonna be a joy and a pleasure to use.

Rich Torino
03-19-2006, 7:11 AM
Great table... I really like the size of the top..

David Eisenhauer
03-19-2006, 10:09 AM
The fence and lift stuff is NASA quality work. You better hope they don't see it or your spare time will be spoken for.

John Gagnon
03-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Very nice, John. Could you show/describe a little more of the details of the fence adjustment system in the center? Nice concept all the way around.
Wow! an overwhelming response. I'll try to answer your questions. First the top is 2 layers of 3/4 melamine sandwiched together using about 100 drywall screws and construction adhesive. The router plugs into an outlet on the inside, so it is just left in the on position all the time, I use the switch on the back to turn it on and off. I will be using the table out in the middle of my shop, so it really didn't matter where I put the switch. The table has wheels in the back and lift arms that extend out on the sides so I can move it easily. I made it the exact height so it wheels out of the way under my radial arm saw bench when not in use. The fence is moved on T slots for locking and 2 ground 3/4" guide bars in aluminum slide blocks to keep it straight. The hand wheel drives a piece of 3/8-16 threaded rod (1 turn = 1/16" movement) and is also graduated into 32 divisions hence approximately .002" per graduation. There is also a 1/32" division steel ruler attached for rough adjustment. I hope this answers your questions. Thanx again for all your feedback! OH I almost forgot the Router is an O'malley. If you've ever heard of it?