PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project- Scroll sawn Butterfly Box

David Duke
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Was wanting to play around with the scroll saw even though I'm not really good with it and decided to make this as a gift for my oldest son's GF's birthday.

The top, top ring and bottom are made of soft maple, the inner rings are cherry and the weave stiching is oak. Finished with several coats of Deft satin spray lacquer.

Thanks for looking

Cecil Arnold
03-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Outstanding David.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Your son's going to hate you! She'll leave him for you! Excellent..excellent work!

Jason Tuinstra
03-18-2006, 1:18 PM
David, very creative. It looks really nice. A lot of detail to catch the eye. Good job.

Vaughn McMillan
03-18-2006, 2:43 PM
Very nice, David. So...if that's what you can do when you're "not very good" with a scroll saw, I'd love to see what you can do once you get better. I've never seen the weave stitching before. How is it done?

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
03-18-2006, 3:52 PM
Very nice, David. So...if that's what you can do when you're "not very good" with a scroll saw, I'd love to see what you can do once you get better. I've never seen the weave stitching before. How is it done?Look at one of the rings: it's essentially a sine wave wrapped around a circle (or at least that's how I'd go about drawing the pattern). Cut as many of those as required for the box height. Stack them, offsetting every other ring one/half cycle. Stuff short vertical pieces down each "hole": instant basket.

David Duke
03-18-2006, 6:21 PM
Lee described it just about perfect, but to save wood, each ring is a half circle connected with a tongue/grove configuration. You could make it in one piece but takes a lot more material.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I like scroll work but my eyes aren't a good as they use to be and looking throught the magnifying light sometimes gives me a headache so I don't do that much of it.

John Hebert
03-18-2006, 6:26 PM
absolutely gorgeous!:)

John Buzzurro
03-18-2006, 6:40 PM
Awesome, David - nice job.

Jim Hager
03-18-2006, 6:45 PM
Wow, that is nice. I had never seen that method of making basket weave either. Nice for sure.

Corey Hallagan
03-18-2006, 9:14 PM
Great job on the scroll saw box. There is alot of stock in that little box, I have made a few myself. Very nice job!

Corey