PDA

View Full Version : I have these windows

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I have these windows. They are really quite nice well made, safety glass, large fire escape type, vinyl clad wood frames with cranks.

Cool. I even know exactly where I'd like to put them.

There is one hitch. They don't have nailing fins or flashing, There is a slot running round the window frame that will accept a 2x4 with room for plenty of sealant. Each window comes with a fistfull of long SST screws and some little plastic caps - for the screws. There are pre drilled holes in the sides but not the top and bottom.

I'm thinking I build a 2*4 frame for it screw it to the frame and then screw the frame in the opening. OK what about flashing?

There is no shelf or other place for flashing on the exterior side of the window. There is merely a flat surface of vinyl about 3/4" wide. Inside that is the wiondow assembly and that mhas to be free to move.

If I applied flashing it'd look goofy and not likely work very well as there's not much surface area for flashing to cover and it's flat.

I'm drawing blanks here.

I've never installed a vinyl window that had no nailing fins. It's a cinch I can't nail to the vinyl.

Any one installed ever installed a vinyl casement with no flash or nailing fins?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-18-2006, 3:29 PM
The maker is a local company. I am thinking of asking how much they want to attach a flash/nail, It's a vinyl weldment.

Jim Becker
03-18-2006, 5:34 PM
These sound like replacement windows that are designed to go into an existing window structure, rather than "new" framing.