PDA

View Full Version : LN 85 Scraper Vs LN 112

Eric Commarato
03-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I am considering purchasing one of these scraper planes, the No. 85 or the No. 112. I know the 112 is for larger work vs the 85 for smaller, if anyone has any positives or negatives about either model I would appreciate the advice.
Thanks,

Eric

Mike Wenzloff
03-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Eric,

Having used both, I opted for a #112 as I use it mainly for large, open areas. A scraper can also be given a lot of pressure in use and I just thought that an open-sided scraper might not be best for my use.

Both can take fine shavings and this is one case I appreciate the hard A2 steel--otherwise I prefer HC blades in planes. Other than that, they both work extremely well and I have zero negatives about either.

Take care, Mike

willie sobat
03-18-2006, 1:12 PM
I've never used the 85, but I own a 112 and use it often. I recommend it.

Rob Millard
03-18-2006, 9:15 PM
I had a LN 85, and it was nearly useless. The blade is far too thick. I bought it when the were first released, and quickly sold it on Ebay. It was the only LN tool I have been disappointed with.

I have the Lee Valley large scraper plane, and it is a very nice tool. It works very well in the limited role there is for a scraper plane.
Rob Millard

Jim W. White
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
I too have the LV large scraper plane. I use it quite a bit! ...Definately worth a looksee. Maybe not quite the eye-candy as the LN; but the ability to bow the blade is pretty sweet.

I've seen several people use the small format scraper in bamboo fly rod production; but for cabinet work I think the larger format plane would prove more useful.

...Jim in Idaho

willie sobat
03-19-2006, 8:37 AM
I have to admit that the thickness of the LN 112 took some getting used to to me. At first I thought the tool was a dud. I had been used to my Stanley #80 and #81. I thought I wasn't getting the angle right. After numerous adjustments with no luck I was about to give up on it when I decided that maybe the burr was the problem. Sure enough, after removing the burr the plane worked like a charm. It has become an essential part of my final surfacing of my hardwood projects. It is much less forgiving in adjustment than a flexible blade though.

Doug Ketellapper
03-19-2006, 9:00 AM
I too thought the 112 was a dud, until I was shown how to set it up properly. The trick, as it was taught to me, is to sharpen your iron, put the burr on if you so desire, and then scrape by hand with it. When you find the angle that it works best, put it in the plane at that angle. Works great whether you put a burr on or not, and I like the final result better than the flexible blade scraper planes.

Mark Singer
03-19-2006, 9:13 AM
The 112 is a very good plane....I usually have it an a #80 out to flush joined boards . The trick to adjusting it is to set the angle tward the lower range,....loosen the screw that holds the blade....push the blade flush with the bottom by holding the plane on a board and oushing the blade down. Then tighten the screw. Now adjoust the angle a few turns using the double nut....this will lower or raise the blade slighltly and is a great way to fine tune the cut... Push at a skew angle to the joints with overlapping strokes.

Eric Commarato
03-19-2006, 9:41 AM
Thanks Guys for the advice. I appreciate it very much, as it will help me decide.

Eric

Derek Cohen
03-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Eric

One more comment. It may put the cat among the pigeons, so to speak.

The more I have used planes like the LV BUS, the less I have needed a scraper plane (I have a #112 and a #80). Add a 50 degree bevel to a BU plane (= 62 degree cutting angle), either the BUS or the LAS, and it can perform as well as a scraper plane. These planes are capable of planing into the grain as well as with it. Keep in mind, too, that a scraper plane is only good for hardwood, no good for soft wood. My #112 gets very little use these days, and my #80 is reserved for glue lines. I much prefer card scrapers anyway, and these do service when a scraper is needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Singer
03-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Derek,
I have the LV bevel ups as well....still the roughing from the glueline stage is really best done with an #80 ,the 112 and card scrapers....I start witha a Hyde paint scraper and that really removes the squeeze out and even levels the offsets a bit.. Then I will use the LV's and other favorites.. The 112 is a useful tool..