PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #37 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-18-2006, 8:34 AM
Saturday March 18th, 2006

Kind of a busy day yesterday as far as people showing up to give me estimates for a couple of things not figured in the original bid.

Also, Benny was back to install the basement windows and the south facing kitchen window. That was the one that had the wrong swing when first delivered. Anyway, now all the window are in. :)
Kitchen window

34173 34175
Basement windows. They look a little funky to me, but under the circumstances they'll work just fine. They are on the back side of the house and will be hidden for the most part by landscape blocks that will have to be put in so we can bring grade up to the new house level.

The second primer is on so we are ready for paint next Monday and Tuesday. The week of the 27th will be the flooring and tile and trim work. I think the cabinets will be in that week also.

Terry Marshall came by with the cost of the new water service from the well head. I requested this from the outset of the project, seeing as how the pipe coming in from the well head has been there 30+ years and is galvanized. The well pump was replaced in '95 and that pipe was switched over to plastic, so I want the other switched as well. Reason is we have VERY acidic water. We do have a neutralizer, but that doesn't neutralize the water until just as it goes into the pressure tank. Anyway, we will also get a new pressure tank that will give us more pressure at the faucets, something I will really look forward to. We've been operating on about 35-40 lbs. and will go up to 45-60 lbs. The new water service will be put in the first week of April.

Next by was Jerry about how to keep the water contained while taking a shower. I.E. shower doors. This was not figured in at all, so these will be added expense. Can't even get the master shower door ordered until the tile is in, so we may not have a usable shower in the master bath when we move in.

We've also been using a temporary front door and jamb, courtesy of Schluter Const. I requested same so my door wouldn't get messed up during this time of construction. Well now that the kitchen window is in and we do know the grade around the front door landing we needed to put my door jamb and door in so we can finish the siding. After lunch I was going to help Benny get it installed. Brought the jamb up from the container and put it in place. It fit the opening nicely, except it's made for 2' X 4' construction, not 2' X 6'. Benny and I took the company van and went to HD and get a new door.
They only have replacement doors for 2' X 4' construction. :confused: We can order one. It'll take about a week. :mad: The guy says, "Well this is a home remodeling store". Well, yeah and they've also been doing 2 X 6 construction for how many years? About 20 at least. Don't you think that some of those people would be replacing their doors by now. Don't you think they'd like to come in and buy one NOW, not wait a week and make another trip to pick it up?

We ended up picking up an extender kit. It didn't work. :( Different brand of extender kit as opposed to the door. Now I need to go to Menards and see if they have the right extender kit and if not, hopefully they'll have doors in stock for 2 X 6 framed walls.

Here's an update on how much I've been able to re-use from our old house as opposed to what I thought going in.

Windows - Nope Got all new Pella Designer series casement widows.
HVAC - Nope New 80,000 BTU furnace and 3 ton A/C
Pressure Tank - Could, but decided on a higher pressure unit
Front Door - Maybe, maybe not.
Sliding Door - Yes.
If there were other things I don't remember them right off hand.

No wonder I'm turning gray. :eek:

Well, we start again next week. Thanks for looking.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2006, 8:40 AM
You're making good progress Karl! You've got a great contractor! The housebuilding Gods have smiled on you......wrong door..........minor inconvenience! Keep those posts coming!

Tyler Howell
03-18-2006, 8:59 AM
Go Karl Go!!!!

John Miliunas
03-18-2006, 9:05 AM
Well, it wouldn't be construction if there weren't some "Gotchya's" thrown into the mix!!! :rolleyes: Still, it's coming along real nicely, Karl. And, we didn't get the big dumping of snow we were expecting the other day, so that should, at least, keep your timeline somewhat close. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
03-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Are the basement windows sized such to meet an egress requirement?

Rob Russell
03-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Can't even get the master shower door ordered until the tile is in, so we may not have a usable shower in the master bath when we move in.

You could get a spring-loaded curtain rod and inexpensive shower curtain so you could at least use the master bath's shower until the door gets installed.

Karl Laustrup
03-18-2006, 5:34 PM
Are the basement windows sized such to meet an egress requirement?

No, that did cross my mind and I might have done it had we been doing a poured wall instead of using the old cement block. Would have gotten into removing a bunch of blocks and didn't really want to get into that.

It's just going to be a basement. Extra refrigerator, freezer, bulk storage for when we go to Sam's Club and stock up on important stuff, like TP paper towels etc. Oh, yeah and a play area for the grand kids.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
03-18-2006, 5:41 PM
You could get a spring-loaded curtain rod and inexpensive shower curtain so you could at least use the master bath's shower until the door gets installed.

Rob, I thought about that and just might do it, but we should have the door on the other bath by then, so we could use it for a few days.

As I mentioned in an earlier update, if the ground doesn't firm up and dry up soon, we might not be able to move in when the house is ready anyway. :( As you can tell neither entry is condusive to moving in bulky furniture.

Karl

Norman Hitt
03-19-2006, 5:02 AM
I just noticed one thing that is done differently in your part of the country from here Karl, and that is where the gas meter is placed. I see yours close to your house, while here, they are always on public property, (usually in the alley), or "Sometimes" at the edge of the street, (when there is no alley), and the service line, no matter how far, from the meter to the house is the owners responsibility, and the short line, usually no more than 10', from the meter to the gas main, is the gas Co's. Industrial service, however, is sometimes located differently though, due to the much larger size of the meters.

It is always interesting to see how differently things are done in different localities.

Karl Laustrup
03-19-2006, 7:05 AM
From SoCal to Vegas and now here in Wisconsin the meters have always been like you see it in my pics. Very interesting indeed that they do it different down your way.

Had this been totally new construction I would have opted for the gas meter to be around the back of the house near the electric meter. The time of year and cost to dig completely new gas line was the factor in keeping it where it is now. I'm going to try and hide it somewhat cause it just sticks out there like a sore thumb.

Karl

Jim Becker
03-19-2006, 9:46 AM
Our gas meter is the same here in PA, Karl (and Norm)...the only place I've seen them in public space is in urban areas, usually with town/row houses.