PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Chuck Testimonial

John Hart
03-17-2006, 9:28 PM
I bought my little $40 Grizzly Chuck a while back and been trying to learn how to be more efficient and effective with it. I think I found the key to success over the past couple of projects and tonight, I decided to do a heavy test.

This bowl is 9" diameter Maple that I roughed out tonight. I cut the outside profile and cut a small tenon (maybe 1/2" thick), turned the bowl around and mounted to the chuck. I was able to re-turn the outer profile and completely hollow the inside without ever losing the bowl from the chuck. I'm pretty happy about this.:)

Chris Barton
03-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Best low dollar chuck on the market and it has a place in everyones shop.

Jim Dunn
03-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Nice looking job John. My little PSI chuck is all I want at this time and it was only $50.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the info John. I got the PSI utility chuck but want to get another one so I can make wooden Cole jaws for one of them. I think I shall place a order for one and maybe it will get here the same time the big one gets here. :D

Ernie Nyvall
03-18-2006, 6:28 AM
Nice profile on that bowl John. So, what was he key to keeping it in the jaws?

Ernie

John Hart
03-18-2006, 6:30 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PSI chuck essentially the same thing? From the pictures, it kinda looks the same, cept for the tommy bars...the PSI chuck looks like you screw them in...where the Grizzly is a slip-in. Sorry...I am Chuck-challenged. :o

John Hart
03-18-2006, 6:33 AM
Nice profile on that bowl John. So, what was he key to keeping it in the jaws?

Ernie

Oh...I didn't realize that the jaws had that little recess out near the lip. So when I cut the tenon, I put a raised ledge right at the base of the piece. Evidently, when you wrench it tight, that little ridge really offers some compression assistance or something. Really made a difference Ernie.

Ernie Nyvall
03-18-2006, 7:10 AM
Oh...I didn't realize that the jaws had that little recess out near the lip. So when I cut the tenon, I put a raised ledge right at the base of the piece. Evidently, when you wrench it tight, that little ridge really offers some compression assistance or something. Really made a difference Ernie.

Alrighty, thanks for the info. I haven't used mine in a while, but do remember that recess, which on first look seemed like a problem, but I can see now how it can be used.

Ernie

John Hart
03-18-2006, 7:22 AM
Oh...one more thing. Sorry to belabor this, but I thought it was important. That recess is actually a bit of a dovetail, so the ledge on the tenon should slope in slightly as it approaches the base of the bowl, but never be the same or smaller diameter of the tenon itself. I think this is where the actual "grip" takes place. Probably a hundred people out there saying, "Well yeah...duh John!!" But hey...It's a new discovery to me!!:)

Chris Barton
03-18-2006, 8:12 AM
Just another aside here. The griz chuck is close enough to the PSI that I found that the Cole jaws that PSI sells for their chucks would fit the griz so, one of the griz that I have has been fitted with a set of PSI Cole jaws and they stay on that chuck all the time.

Joe Tonich
03-18-2006, 8:36 AM
John,

Is this the one your talking about?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H5934

Always lookin for another chuck.......;)

Chris Barton
03-18-2006, 8:41 AM
No, this is the one...

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg288/G/G8785.jpg

Rich Stewart
03-18-2006, 8:49 AM
I got three of the PSI chucks, each fitted with a different set of jaws. I am very happy with them. Sure beats changing jaws all the time. Just spin another chuck on and keep turnin'.

Joe Tonich
03-18-2006, 8:56 AM
Hmmmm.....can't find that one on their website. Guess I have to find where LOML hid the catalog.

John Hart
03-18-2006, 8:58 AM
Wow...I like the idea that the PSI Cole Jaw will fit! I almost made an impulse buy just now. First a question though Chris....

Is it a perfect fit, or did you have to fuss a bit? In other words, should I invest in a second chuck and mount the Cole Jaws as a permanent sort of thing?

John Hart
03-18-2006, 9:02 AM
Here Joe.... http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8786

That link is the 1.5"X8TPI They have different part numbers for different threads

Joe Tonich
03-18-2006, 9:05 AM
Thanks! How'd you find that? I searched 'wood lathe chuck' and it didn't show up.

May be ordering 1 soon.

Chris Barton
03-18-2006, 9:07 AM
Wow...I like the idea that the PSI Cole Jaw will fit! I almost made an impulse buy just now. First a question though Chris....

Is it a perfect fit, or did you have to fuss a bit? In other words, should I invest in a second chuck and mount the Cole Jaws as a permanent sort of thing?

Mine was a good fit, like they were made for each other. I am very careful about using the word "perfect" in a sentence unless describing myself.:D

Chris Barton
03-18-2006, 9:09 AM
Here Joe.... http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8786

That link is the 1.5"X8TPI They have different part numbers for different threads

By the way John, who is in your avatar picture, Dorian Grey?

John Hart
03-18-2006, 9:18 AM
Thanks! How'd you find that? I searched 'wood lathe chuck' and it didn't show up.

May be ordering 1 soon.

Search on "Chuck" instead Joe. Leave out the lathe part. For some reason, it doesn't work that way.

Chris....Are you saying that my Avatar sucks?:eek: :D

Chris Barton
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Search on "Chuck" instead Joe. Leave out the lathe part. For some reason, it doesn't work that way.

Chris....Are you saying that my Avatar sucks?:eek: :D

John,

Now you know me, I would never be so crass, at least not in the turning forum. I was simply suggesting that your current avatar doesn't look like the John I am used to seeing...;) This is easy for me to say since I just replaced my old avatar (unidentifiable frog) with somthing that almost is identifiable (old fat man).

Stephen Hibbs
03-18-2006, 4:09 PM
I am pleased to hear all these great reviews since I ordered one last monday and it's set to come in the next few days. Too bad it didn't make it before the weekend though, I already ruined a cup that I plan on making a bowl out of now (it was a BIG cup), but I need those jaws so I can grab the neck part that brok off.

Corey Hallagan
03-18-2006, 9:19 PM
Thanks John and for all the info off site as well. This is the chuck I am going to buy as well.

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
03-18-2006, 9:57 PM
Oh...one more thing. Sorry to belabor this, but I thought it was important.

Pleeeeeease don't worry about this. I'm happy with all the information I can get... even with as brilliant as I am.:rolleyes: :D I talked to several Grizzly tech's about mine not holding. They finally gave me a return# to send it back. Not one mentioned what you are talking about and they had always been right on the money with everything else. It could be something the engineers threw in the design and didn't mention.

I have a couple of things that I discovered for myself that I think may be obvious to others, but now I think I'll start the thread anyway... if I can remember now what it was I discovered:confused: :rolleyes:

Ernie

Paul Douglass
03-19-2006, 11:45 AM
WOW! I bought that chuck a few weeks ago and tried it a couple time and put it away thinking I had made another bad choice. Now I can get it out and try again! Thanks for all the info!

Matt Meiser
03-22-2006, 7:55 AM
Thanks for the review John. I've been wanting to get a chuck for my Jet Mini, but didn't want to spend a lot since I probably won't use it that much. It looks like this will be a good one for me, so I ordered it last night.