PDA

View Full Version : Venting Miter Saw

Bob Spare
03-17-2006, 7:18 PM
Today built a free standing 8' foo table mounted to the wall for my Dewalt miter saw.

Modified the dust port from 1.5" to 2.5" opening.

I know I still am going to eat dust.

Here is my train of thought.
In addition to the above has anybody had any luck with mounting a second hose under the table to create a down draft, or am I wasting my time?

Andy Hoyt
03-17-2006, 8:29 PM
I did it and it works very well - when I remember to open the blast gate.

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 9:03 PM
I'm using a downdraft system on my miter station...got the idea from the NYW/Air Handling Systems. Pictorial on my site. (http://sawsndust.com/a-miterstation.htm)

Bob Spare
03-18-2006, 2:45 PM
Thanks guys for getting me on the right track.
Got a big mouth vent from Woodcraft about 14" square.
Mounted on the underside of the table per your pictures.

I never had my dust collector (Grizzle) chew up so much dust from the miter saw before. I had just some dust laying around the saw after I cut up bunch of wood to see how it would go.

I know that you can never catch 100% but I am getting 99% so
I AM SO HAPPY...............thanks again for getting me on the right course.

Bob Spare
03-21-2006, 4:55 PM
Doing extensive remodling on the shop. Built a 8' foot miter table.
Thanks goes out to two members that helped me with my dust collection effort on the miter saw. 99% improvment..............THANKS GUYS
I am so happy:D :D :D your advise worked.

Now here is the question
Have a Delta air cleaner mounted on the ceiling over the table saw and miter saw.

WHAT IF
one was to make a drop down L-SHAPE and come down so it is not a head banger to catch the dust almost immediate that is floating in the air?
It would be on the same principle as a hood over a kitchen stove.

This would not restrict the air intake or out flow.........but my thoughts are that it would be move effective. I suppose one could drop the unit down lower......but it was a bear to get it up there.

Bart Leetch
03-21-2006, 8:19 PM
So how high is your intake above your saws table?

Norman Hitt
03-22-2006, 12:19 AM
I think a second pickup hooked to an overhead blade guard and connected to the DC would be more effective on your TS. Another thing is that you wouldn't want the Air Cleaner mounted "above" the TS because it would pull all the dust up past your face and you would be breathing that dust. An air cleaner should be mounted so that it pulls the dust away from where you will be standing.