PDA

View Full Version : Back Panel Solution... no curly sacrifice

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 6:02 PM
After being convicted by ya'll about hacking up some of the curly cherry for the back panels, it dawned on me. Just add another panel and use some of the smaller non-figured stuff you have. I know this is a rather "duh!" kind of thing, but I was so focused on doing it one way, I couldn't see another way around. "Hi. My name is Jason. I'm prone to prolonged periods of stupidity!"

Anyway, after about an hour and a half or so, this is what I came up with. Again, let me add a "duh!!!"

Thanks for all the help.

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 6:05 PM
AH, that's a pretty piece and the "new" back panel is perfect! That thing will look good "anywhere", even when there isn't a wall involved. Great job!

Don Baer
03-17-2006, 6:10 PM
Super solution Jason and I'm looking forward to seeing it completed

Chris Dodge
03-17-2006, 6:24 PM
Great looking piece! I only have one problem...your garage is way too clean!

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 6:28 PM
Great looking piece! I only have one problem...your garage is way too clean!

I don't have good dust collection, so I remove it digitally... :D :p Photoshop Elements is cheaper than a cyclone :D

Actually, I vacuumed up my mess before I snapped the shots. Sorry about that. Bad habit. :)

Jim Hager
03-17-2006, 7:00 PM
Nice looking piece for sure my friend. You must have posted something on it earlier that I missed. What is it going to be??? Whatever it is, sure is nice. I don't usually spend that much time and $ on the backside of what I do, however I probably should.

I've heard that blind people finish things on the inside as well as the outside. I recently did a repair on a doll cradle that was done by a blind man several years back. He did a good job on the cradle for a sighted man and it was finished as well underneath as it was on top. Since the repair, the cradle now has a new kid to entertain while growing up.

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 9:01 PM
Jim, yea, this is in reference to a post I made about getting some wide curly cherry and whether or not I should use it for the back. No big deal.

Hopefully, this is going to be a wine cabinet. I have a ton of work left to do, but I'm getting there a little bit at a time. I have a couple of extras that I want to do with this one as well. In a few weeks I hope to show it off, but who knows...

Concerning the back, I try to finish the back as though it were going to be seen just as much as the front. Just one of those things I guess. I want to know that no matter what angle a person looks at a piece (from inside or out) it will look good. Sometimes I even actually live up to this standard :D :p

ROBERT ELLIS
03-18-2006, 9:13 PM
Jason,

In case your interested, in a previous issue Winemaker magazine solicited its readers (thats me) for pictures (and I think drawings) of wine racks...Yours (when you get it finished) would definately look good gracing their pages.

BTW, beautiful work, and I like the pictures of your curly cherry boards. I've got a few curly cherry boards I've layed aside waiting to make something for myself one day...

Robert

Jason Tuinstra
03-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Jason,

In case your interested, in a previous issue Winemaker magazine solicited its readers (thats me) for pictures (and I think drawings) of wine racks...Yours (when you get it finished) would definately look good gracing their pages.

BTW, beautiful work, and I like the pictures of your curly cherry boards. I've got a few curly cherry boards I've layed aside waiting to make something for myself one day...

Robert

Robert, thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check out the magazine.

Gary Herrmann
03-19-2006, 2:01 AM
Nicely done, Jason.