PDA

View Full Version : I need a new All in one Printer

John Weber
03-17-2006, 5:18 PM
Hi,

My HP40 all-in-one is about dead, or at least making some not so nice noises. It's about 7 years old and has served me very well. I hope it will last out the ink cartridges I have, but thought I better start looking for a new machine. I a fairly heavy user, and copy function is also important. Would like a quality machine with not super expensive cartridges that I can find (I've used generic HP's for years without any problems). It doesn't need to be super fast as most any new printer will likely be faster then the old one. Mostly looking for a quality machine with low operational cost. Any ideas?

Thanks - John

Don Baer
03-17-2006, 5:32 PM
I have the Lexmark X5150. Been using it for several years. Flat bead Scaner/copier Has built in Fax. Uses seperate cartiges for Black and white and color. Cartriges run $29 for BW and $39 for color. Can do reduction and enlargement USB comunications. It sits in my shop and when the wood dust gets into it I just blow it out with an air hose.

If this one ever goes south I'll buy another.

Dave Lehnert
03-17-2006, 5:50 PM
I have the HP 1610. I like it a lot. I had a Lexmark and tossed it after 3 months. It was junk and the tec support was not much better. What I like about the HP1610 it has software to scan something like an owners manual and convert it to PDF format. Unlike other scanner software I have used this will let you scan multiple pages at once to make a book in PDF.

Joe Pelonio
03-17-2006, 6:00 PM
I'd recommend the HP PSC2400 but they discontinued it. The new model is the 2575 but I don't know if it's as reliable. Nice things include slots for camera cards and a little screen so you can print photos without even
turning on the computer, and inks are like $18 BW & $30/color. If your HP
lasted 7 years under heavy use it's a good sign to stick with them. We've had problems with their PCs and Laptops but they do seem to know printers better.

Dan Stuewe
03-17-2006, 6:07 PM
We've only had our Canon Pixma (MP780 I think) for a couple months, but so far I really like the speed and duplex capability. Brother-In-Law, who is a hardware geek, told us that Canon is a good choice and on-line reviews seem to back this up. I also like the option for bottom tray loading as well as back/top loading for heavier paper or labels (paper doesn't need to make a U-turn when loaded from the back/top). I really like doing research on cnet.com for this type of thing.

Vaughn McMillan
03-17-2006, 6:18 PM
After going through several Epson all-in-one machines (none of which lasted more than a year or so), I've got a low-end HP (don't recall the model) that I've been very happy with. Mine has the memory card slots...the slots were one of the key "must-have" features on my list when I bought the HP. After having the slots on a couple of the Epsons, I'm hooked on them. I never print my pics directly from the card to the printer, but it's a handy way to transfer pics from the card to the computer.

If you got 7 years out of your last HP, I'd say stick with that brand. ;)

- Vaughn

Matt Meiser
03-17-2006, 7:56 PM
I'm on my 3rd HP printer since my sophomore year of college 14 (:eek: ) years ago. Each has performed well, and the only reason for replacing them has been to upgrade to more features, first color, then to our current 6110 print/scan/copy/fax. We've had this one for a little over two years and are very happy with it. Ink runs in the $35 range for 2 packs of the black and white cartridges. It easily prints envelopes and cardstock too. Its predecessor is now my shop printer.

On the three printers, I've had 2 problems. The first printer had to go back to HP for new feed rollers as part of a recall after I had it a couple years. The second printer's power supply failed at about 7 years and I bought a replacement off Ebay for $15. And that may have actually been my IBM UPS's fault as it failed at the same time for the second time.

We gave my wife's POS Epson to Goodwill when we got married--it never fed paper reliably and Epson claimed that it was working as expected and blamed the paper.

Steve Clardy
03-17-2006, 8:28 PM
Still running two HPV-40's. One has the fax burnt out. [lightning strike] It's in the house.
Rebuilt ones are available yet, 90 day warranty. Least they were 6 months ago when I ran across them.

Jim DeLaney
03-17-2006, 8:53 PM
I've had an HP 6110 for several years. Pretty much bulletproof. No jams - ever - about 15 Pages Per minute black print - slower in color, of course. Color scanner, and document feeder for fax or scanner. Used 56/57 cartridges. My only gripe - the 56/57 cartridges are much smaller (lower in capacity) than the older 45/78 cartridges in the older HP printers.

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 9:19 PM
I don't particularly care for the "all in one" machines...every function seems to be a compromise. Since I never FAX, I use a photo-grade inkjet printer (Epson) and an inexpensive USB scanner (Cannon) to deal with my needs. The last "all in one" I had, an HP that my employer provided, was "less than satisfying" in almost every respect. Fortunately, they discontinued that model many years ago...the current ones reportedly are much better.

John Weber
03-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Amazon has a 6110 for $270 so it might be nice, good reviews, and looks a little "nicer" then the newer model. I'll look some more. I don't have a doc feeder, and that would be handy feature.

Jim, I got enough stuff sitting on my desk, saving a little real estate is more then worth the cost of a little lower spec'd machine. Our R40 has done everything I've asked and really done it well IMO.

John

Jim Dunn
03-17-2006, 11:36 PM
7210 HP here. So far very happy with it. I do a bunch of faxing and the ability to load the "to be faxed" pages in the top of the machine saves me a lot of time.

Dan Connolly
03-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Is color important? if not stick with a laser dry toner type machine like a HP 3100 ---much cheaper cost per page