PDA

View Full Version : Which Wood

Michael Fross
03-17-2006, 3:00 PM
Hello all,

I'm building a bookshelf for my office. Nothing too fancy. So, I was walking through the borg and saw they had "cabinet grade" plywood on sale. It was not very good stuff, but for $24/sheet, it was a bargin.

Well, now that the the main part is done, I need to build the face frame. But I just realized that I don't know what kind of wood it is. I want to get the frame wood to match.

To me it looks like maple, but I was hoping to get some expert opinons. The picture is not the best, but I think it shows the grain pattern fairly well.

Any guesses?

Many thanks,

Michael

John Timberlake
03-17-2006, 3:10 PM
Looks like birch, but could be maple. Face frame of either wood should work just fine.

Brian Hale
03-17-2006, 5:54 PM
Looks like the Brich i've bought from them before. Never seen maple in my borg....

Brian :)

Brett Baldwin
03-17-2006, 6:17 PM
I third the birch votes.

Michael Fross
03-17-2006, 7:30 PM
Ok all. Thank you very much. I'm going to pick up some birch this weekend and frame it up.

Much appreciated all. I knew the creek would have the answers.

Have a great weekend.

Michael

willie sobat
03-17-2006, 8:08 PM
Sometimes Maple is easier to come by, and the two woods are easily finished to look like each other.

Doug Shepard
03-17-2006, 8:59 PM
Sometimes Maple is easier to come by, and the two woods are easily finished to look like each other.

Yep. I've never even seen birch hardwood at any of the hardwood dealers I frequent. Probably because it all gets turned into ply for use as a maple look-alike.

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 9:08 PM
Looks like rotary cut birch or maple veneer. Either will likely be nice for a face frame.