PDA

View Full Version : Desk Top Edge Trim Question

Mark Hollingsworth
03-17-2006, 2:33 PM
I'm building a desk for my son and using oak ply for the top. I plan on edging the top with 2" wide by 1 1/4" thick walnut all the way around. I thought breadboard ends would look good but was wondering if movement would be an issue. Thought I'd just biscuit the walnut on. What do you guys think? Mark

John Timberlake
03-17-2006, 3:05 PM
Definitely need to allow for wood movement if the oak is solid wood. If it is plywood, you will probably be alright. Biscuits will not allow for the needed movement for cross grain solid woods. Need to use a sliding dovetail, plugged screws in slots, M/T with dowels in slots, or something similar. Show us pictures when done.

Tom Jones III
03-17-2006, 3:31 PM
I've thought about doing something similar, having plywood/mdf in the center with a nice walnut veneer and then edging with mahogany, the edging would be mitered at the corners and held on with biscuits. I've seen something similar in Taunton's book on desks.

John Hebert
03-17-2006, 3:31 PM
to worry about. This is why plywood got its popularity in furniture making years and years ago. Just glue the band under plenty of clamps, with good squeeze out and you'll be just fine. I've done this for years without any failures

http://www.cjohnhebert.com/edgemoldreturn.jpg

Mark Hollingsworth
03-17-2006, 3:47 PM
to worry about. This is why plywood got its popularity in furniture making years and years ago. Just glue the band under plenty of clamps, with good squeeze out and you'll be just fine. I've done this for years without any failures

http://www.cjohnhebert.com/edgemoldreturn.jpg
John, do I need to use biscuits? Mark

John Hebert
03-17-2006, 4:17 PM
a good joined edge, good glue coverage and enough clamps to insure good squeeze out is all you need.

Mark Hollingsworth
03-18-2006, 9:12 PM
a good joined edge, good glue coverage and enough clamps to insure good squeeze out is all you need.
Thanks for the picture and the reply. You saved me the hassle of messin with biscuits.