PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat ... kinda ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
08-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Here are some turned boxes I've made from some free wood acquired in the past couple of weeks. The first one is red oak, from a tree a friend was having cut down in his back yard. It had been dead for years. I was given a lot of good size limbs to make these turned boxes out of ... and it's all spalted! I also got a dozen trunk sections to cut for bowl blanks. The second is from some walnut from a dead tree on my FIL's land in Hanover county. Several dead limbs to turn into boxes and some sections of trunk to become bowl blanks also. The last one is a piece of African Mahogany I acquired from Phil Duffy. It's got some different coloring than the Honduran Mahogany I've been using. I also turned and inlaid a piece of solid red corian on the top as an added attraction. The corain is some I acquired from a local counter maker as scrap material.He has all colors free for the taking, so I have a lifetime supply for projects and pens. It's fun to try different combinations of materials. Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun.

John Miliunas
08-10-2003, 1:33 PM
Nice job on all three! It's great how you highlight a special feature of each. How tough was the Corian to turn? :cool: Now that I think about it, long dead and dry Oak can't be all that easy to turn, either! :cool:

Jim Becker
08-10-2003, 1:48 PM
Outstanding work, Ron.

Philip Duffy
08-10-2003, 6:10 PM
Ron, I love your inovative approach to every piece of wood. Keep up the good work! So many things you turn just turn out marvelous! Let me know if you need some more exotic woods, or basswood. Phil

Tom Pritchard
08-10-2003, 10:18 PM
These are really beautiful Ron! I really like the middle turned box that was made from the walnut on your FIL's land. I always get excited when I find wood, and I just dragged home a piece of Yew that was 14" in diameter and 34" long that has an ingrown crotch in it! I have a bandsaw on order that I won't pick up until the beginning of October, so I won't be able to see what it looks like till then.

Great work! Really something to be proud of!