PDA

View Full Version : Excuse/Rant/Gloat (long)

Lee DeRaud
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
Sometimes the Slippery Slope has a bunch of sand and gravel spread on it for traction...

This is "Day 4" (I hope): should be about "Day 8", but so it goes. Last Sunday I had a touch of Ken Fitzgerald's cold (transmitted over the Web, no doubt) or maybe allergies, no way to tell...one day lost. By the time I was feeling well enough (read "not zoned out on antihistimines"), it was Monday afternoon and I had an appointment to get my dust collector delivered.

(begin rant, part 1) I usually make an appointment when I go to the doctor, which means I need to be at a certain place at a certain time, with about a 10-20 minute resolution. Delivery people define the term somewhat differently: "appointment" means stay at home and don't do anything productive that might make you not hear the doorbell...for 4-5 hours. Another day lost. So they showed up about three hours into that window...

(begin rant, part 2)...with one box. The Jet people use the same box for the main part of all of the DC1100-series DC's; since I was buying the canister version, the filter came in a separate box. No problem, except someone at Amazon decided that it would be a good idea to generate two completely separate shipments for a one-item order, complete with different waybill numbers, each marked "1 of 1", which of course got separated at the freight company's warehouse. So only one box shows up: when I call, I'm told "Yeah, you've got another shipment here, when would you like to schedule an 'appointment'?" (See "Rant, part 1".) Another day lost.

So Wednesday was spent getting the DC put together and testing it (resawed some gorgeous canary wood for the laser). The DC has an odd (i.e. non-square) footprint, so Thursday was spent rearranging the garage (again), plus mowing the lawn, doing laundry, vacuuming...a whole bunch of chores I couldn't do Monday or Tuesday because they were noisy enough to cover up the doorbell.

Which means it's now Friday and I'm killing time waiting for it to get warm enough in the garage to do something useful.

Oh, and an offering to the Picture Police: 34095

Keith Burns
03-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Great collector, it should serve you well ! Now to your rants.....this just proves the need for Bonkers:D :eek:

Lee DeRaud
03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Great collector, it should serve you well!In the words of Tim Allen, "It will suck the eyes out of a parrot.":eek: :cool:

It's the first time I've used the bandsaw that I didn't have to vacuum a bunch of dust out of the lower housing afterward.

Raymond Overman
03-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Lee, I feel your pain with the frustration of shipping. Just to pour salt in the wound, the shipping guy and the shipping company, just don't care.

We regularly get 200-300 Lb worth of servers on a pallet delivered. We do not have a loading dock and we have continually told the vendor that we need it delivered with a truck that has a lift gate and a pallet truck. No such luck with the last order and the shipping guy just laughed when I told him that we had repeatedly asked for delivery with lift gates and said, "Oh well. Want me to take it back?" and shrugged his shoulders.

The idea that an appointment means a 4 hour window for deliveries and for utility repairmen drives me nuts too.

Nice gloat by the way and enjoy the DC.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2006, 3:23 PM
Nice gloat on the DC Lee. When I got mine together I was told not to let the cat walk by the hose. Ain't it fun though Lee ordering stuff. :eek: :eek:

Corey Hallagan
03-17-2006, 4:08 PM
Way to go Lee, very cool and enjoy!

corey

Lee DeRaud
03-17-2006, 4:27 PM
Ain't it fun though Lee ordering stuff. :eek: :eek:"Ordering stuff" is fun. "Waiting for stuff to get delivered", not so much.

I freely admit I'm an instant-gratification kind of person.:cool:

John Hart
03-18-2006, 6:47 AM
When I lived out on the Aleutian Islands, we had to mail order everything. The wait was anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. When I came back to the real world, I was astonished that you could get things in a few days. Took me a while to acclimate....pretty nice. But I really do hate that part about having to sit and wait for the delivery "appointment".

George Conklin
03-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Which means it's now Friday and I'm killing time waiting for it to get warm enough in the garage to do something useful.

Dude.... You live in Anaheim! How cold can it be?

:D
George

Lee DeRaud
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Dude.... You live in Anaheim! How cold can it be?:DIt topped out at about 56 here at the house yesterday, raining most of the time...the inside of the garage never got close to anything I'd call warm. I guess it's payback for those days of 80's and 90's we had in January. :eek:

Dunno about anybody else, but I'm ready for spring.:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Gee Lee! I've had my shop's gas furnace on to maintain 56!.........for some months now!

Lee DeRaud
03-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Gee Lee! I've had my shop's gas furnace on to maintain 56!.........for some months now!Yeah, yeah, I know: ten miles, through the snow, uphill both ways.:eek:

BTDT: it's the reason I now live in Southern California.

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Eleven miles, through the snow, uphill both ways and shop is at 55°. Ninner ninners

Cecil Arnold
03-18-2006, 12:26 PM
And without shoes or a coat.

Curt Fuller
03-18-2006, 12:32 PM
It topped out at about 56 here at the house yesterday, raining most of the time...the inside of the garage never got close to anything I'd call warm. I guess it's payback for those days of 80's and 90's we had in January. :eek:

Dunno about anybody else, but I'm ready for spring.:cool:

Haven't seen 56 since about October. I do most of my winter turning in carhart insulated coveralls in an unheated garage. But in a couple months I'll be doing it in shorts and sandals with the shavings sticking to the sweat. There are a couple days in between when it's just right though. But I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I would like the luxury of that fancy new DC to replace my shop vac.

John Hart
03-18-2006, 1:19 PM
We carried baked potatoes in our pockets to keep us warm on the way to school and then they were our lunch.:p

Lee DeRaud
03-18-2006, 3:41 PM
We carried baked potatoes in our pockets to keep us warm on the way to school and then they were our lunch.:pYou had potatoes?!? We didn't even have pockets.:p

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 3:57 PM
Ya know..... Tyler will win this when it gets down to the dainties.

Lee DeRaud
03-18-2006, 4:13 PM
Ya know..... Tyler will win this when it gets down the dainties.Is he the reason SMC has a size limit on attachments?