PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Shaft Too Short On Craftsman 22124

Mike Goetzke
03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
...for a Dial-A-Width dado set.

See sketch you'll see the problem - the arbor shaft on my saw it too short to use the dado set even at the 3/4" width (because the dial adds a little more than 1/4" to the thickness of the stack - in the original design the dial goes all the way to the arbor shaft ):

This nut would allow the full 13/16" dado set to be used. I would need to open the hole in the dial and make a new "special" nut.

Please critique this modification.

Thanks,

Mike

(Is the arbor an Acme thread? - threads look square on arbor)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/arborasm.jpg

New arbor nut:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/arbornut.jpg

Bart Leetch
03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Return the Dial a width & get a stacked Dado set. Do Not try to re engineer this tool you could end up making it very dangerous. If all you've done is try to mount it to the saw you should be able to return it.

Mike Cutler
03-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Mike.
I'm certain that you get something to work and that the design would work, but I have to agree with Bart. Just get a conventional stacked dado set.

Byron Trantham
03-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Mike,
On my old Craftsman I just barely got a standard stacked dato set to work. I couldn't use the Belvile washer! IMHO don't use something that requires modification of the mounting hardware; just too dangerous.:mad:

Mike Goetzke
03-17-2006, 2:39 PM
O.K. - guess I'll probably unload the SD608. I actually have a 208 and hate using shims that's why I got the 608. Too bad Freud doesn't warn that this set doesn't fit many saws.

Was really just fishing to see if anyone else had a need to extend the arbor on their TS.

(I'm a mechanical engineer and did some calculations on the mod and feel extreemely comfortable with the stress levels on the components. My problem is that if a mistake is made during machining I just wasted a $200 dado set.)

Steve Clardy
03-17-2006, 8:47 PM
Are you trying to use the washer? If so, leave it off. I had to do this when I had an old Rockwell Delta.

Mike Goetzke
03-17-2006, 9:22 PM
Without the washer.

The arbor is about flush with the dial shown above. The dial is like a large washer that houses the mechanism that makes the blade adjustable.

Barry O'Mahony
03-17-2006, 9:36 PM
Mike,

With you being an ME, you're more qualified than the rest of us to critique the idea. You'd void the warranty on the Freud, I guess.

The metal shims that come with the Freud stacked dado's are a pain to put on and off, since there is little clearance from the hole in them to the arbor. Maybe after-market shims (I've seen plastic ones) might be easier.

Norman Hitt
03-18-2006, 2:29 AM
Mike, since you have one in hand, could you do us all a favor here on the forum , and measure and tell the rest of us, (who might think of buying one of these in a weak moment,;) exactly how much arbor length this unit needs when set to it's widest dado setting? I've wondered about this since they first came out, but never could find that information in anything I've looked at from Freud.

Mike Goetzke
03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Found this info after I had the fit problem:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/Frdsd608rvu.html