PDA

View Full Version : adjusting Jet jointer

Don Baker
03-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a 6 inch jet jointer, JJ-6CSX. When trying to edge join to glue up wide boards, they always come out convex. When placing then edge to edge the center matches but there is always a gap at the ends. The mamual does not show any adjustments to correct this. Can anyone help?:mad:

Michael Ballent
03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I have seen this happen when the blades are proud of outfeed. The quickest way to check is to lower the infeed table to take a 1/8" cut and edge joint about 3-4" on some 12" or longer scrap. Turn off the jointer and look to see if the part that is over the outfeed is touching the outfeed side. If you have a set of feeler guages it can make it easier to determine, but a piece of paper is about .004" thick too :D. If there is a gap between the wood and the outfeed, then raise the outfeed until it touches the part you have just jointed. The rest is technique :D

Don Baer
03-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Don,
I am not sure that its the jointer, it may be your tecnique. How are yoy pushing the board through the jointer from start to finish. I believe the correct method is to as quickly as possible transfer you force from the infeed to the outfeed table. Mybe some other creekers can explain it better.

Oh and welcome to the creek.