PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm wondering...

Scott Fernald
03-17-2006, 9:15 AM
All this chain saw talk, and the pictures of chunks of wood, have me thinking (dangerous there....)

Using (for example) the chunks of wood in Frank's post (the walnut), and his spiffy new chain saw :) , what is the best way to turn those pieces of "firewood" into bowl blanks?

Just curious, as there are always trees down - usually chunked into firewood length - free for the taking near me, how would I go about prepping that?

Not that I even own a lathe....just doing a little planning!

I am going to a Woodcraft bowl turning class tomorrow - is that the sound of the vortex I hear???

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2006, 9:19 AM
Hey Andy.......We got another one!

Welcome to the Abyss! You'll enjoy it! Andy and some other folks here pushed me into the vortex a month or so ago. I hope to get my new shop finished before I retire but in the meantime....I'm having fun and I'm sure you will too!

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2006, 9:25 AM
Howdy Scott and Welcome to the vortex!!!!!!!!

The best overall advice I can give ya? Order a woodturning video by Bill Grumbine. He's a memeber here and he takes you through the process of doing just what you are asking. AND.....you get to learn more about bowl turning on the same DVD. :D :D

George Conklin
03-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Scott.
I couldn't agree more with Dennis. Get Bills video. I watch that thing over and over. I'm always picking up something new when I watch it.

George

Gordon Achterhof
03-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of money spending, ERRR wood turning. Jump in with both feet right down the middle of the vortex and get it all overwith fast. There is a steep spending curve, ,,,, make that learning curve but it is fun and stress relieving.

Cheers
Gordon

John Miliunas
03-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Scott, you're headed in the right direction!!! You've even got the order of events correct; You're looking at chainsawing firewood and turning it into finished products. On my lathe, I usually end up turning projects into firewood!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Welcome Scott to the wonderful world of turning. Get Bill G.'s video. That is the only video I have on bowl turning. It takes you from cutting the log to finishing the bowl. I bought my Delta Midi in December and I am already upgrading my lathe to bigger. Come on in and enjoy.

Andy Hoyt
03-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey Andy.......We got another one!....
So I see.

Scott - STOP!

Send that stuff to me and I'll blankerize it.

You should go to Las Vegas and insert all your hard earned money into the slot machines. It'll take about the same amount of time to go broke if you do so; and you'll get some travel out if it.

You have been abysserated. Welcome.

Mark Cothren
03-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Jump on in, Scott!!!!

You have been abysserated.

Can you say that in mixed company? :D

John Hart
03-17-2006, 11:53 AM
You have been abysserated..

In an attempt to discover the etymology of this word, it was necessary to interpolate from two other words Eviscerate and Abyss

"Abyss", etymologically speaking, is

<DD class=highlight>1398, earlier abime (c.1300), from L.L. abyssus, from Gk. abyssos "bottomless," from a- "without" (see a- (2)) + byssos "bottom," possibly related to bathos "depth." Abyssal is first recorded 1691, used especially of the zone of ocean water below 300 fathoms.
"Eviscerate", is somewhat different -
Formal Definition:
1. To tear out the bowels of someone or something; to gut.
Thesaurus: disembowel, gut, draw.
Etymology: 17c: from Latin eviscerare to disembowel, from e out + viscera the bowels.
</DD>
So....Welcome to the Abyss Scott!!! If you got the guts!!:D

Andy Hoyt
03-17-2006, 12:01 PM
...Can you say that in mixed company? :D

I not only just did; but Professor Hart has just provided the epicurial equivalent of the epitome of an epidemiological exploratory event exacting equal parts of effluent and excess excretia as evidenced by the extreme effect on my keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyboard

John Miliunas
03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
I not only just did; but Professor Hart has just provided the epicurial equivalent of the epitome of an epidemiological exploratory event exacting equal parts of effluent and excess excretia as evidenced by the extreme effect on my keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyboard

Any programmers out there??? We've already got that nice "iSpell" plug-in but, I'm thinking someone should come up with a thesaurus plug-in!!! :D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM

Hugh!!!!!??????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Mark????? You gonna take that standing up?

Translator Please!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Pat Salter
03-17-2006, 3:33 PM
Jump on in, Scott!!!!

Can you say that in mixed company? :D

There's no company more mixed up then this, so SURE. We can't get any more mixed up, I don't think, maybe, :rolleyes: :D

RL Johnson
03-17-2006, 7:06 PM
Bill Grumbine also has a website http://www.wonderfulwood.com/ where there is a great tutorial on cutting blanks for turning.