PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana hardwood sources?

Charles Green
03-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to find out where everyone buys their lumber around Baton Rouge? I need maple and walnut. Is there any place worth driving to in New Orleans?

let me know you favorites and thanks in advance.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Charles...........I can't help with a lumber source but I can Welcome you to the Creek!

Randy Looney
03-17-2006, 4:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to find out where everyone buys their lumber around Baton Rouge? I need maple and walnut. Is there any place worth driving to in New Orleans?

let me know you favorites and thanks in advance.

Hello Charles, Welcome to the Creek :)

No need to drive to NO.
There are several places in Baton Rouge to buy hard woods. I use Hogan HardWoods and Moulding http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pages/locations/locations_louisiana.asp#Baton_Rouge,_LA
which I just bought some Ash from them or if I am going to visit family in Texas I will drop by M&G Sawmill http://www.mgsawmill.com/index.html I bought Walnut, Ash, Quarter Sawn White oak, and Cedar from them the last time I went. I am planning another trip in a Month or so. HTH

Carl Eyman
03-17-2006, 7:49 AM
Service Lumber at the intersection of I 12 and Airline highway (behind the John Deere dealer) is a place I've been buying Walnut. Hogan is good for certain varieties - call them first. I hear Riverside in New Orleans is open again but haven't been there since the storm.

Mike Leone
03-17-2006, 7:58 AM
I lived in BR about 8-9 yrs ago there was a place up in zachary, zachary hardwoods, I think they still exist you may want to check them out.

David Eisenhauer
03-17-2006, 9:43 AM
Byron is a transplanted BR boy, doing lots of commercial work, and a very helpful guy. He posts on the Oak and WOODWEB, not sure if he migrated here or not. Best of luck.

Kurt Loup
03-18-2006, 9:43 PM
Like Carl, I occasionally buy from Service Lumber. I've called the lumber yard in Hammond and they carry a wide range of lumber, but I've haven't purchased from them. I've purchased some nice stuff from Robichaux Lumber in Raceland.

Kurt