PDA

View Full Version : Its not a snowflake.....

Paul B. Cresti
03-16-2006, 11:34 PM
but I kind of like it :D. I finally got my new MM24 all tuned up and running. I made my fences for it, connected the DC and it is cutting away. It replaced my Agazzani B-24 and the MM24 is much heavier built everywhere, smoother running and just plain bigger. The new MM24 has 24" of resaw, which is sick!, but what the heck. I had the MM guys put a 3ph motor on it so it now has a little 3ph, 7hp motor. In my next post I will explain why I like the cast iron fence better.

Dan Oliphant
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
What a monster!!!! But I must ask (don't take offense) are you ever going to use that kind of resaw capacity? If so, on what???????

Chris Pasko
03-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Very nice man! I really like that setup! I might have to get one to sit in my shop =).

Reg Mitchell
03-17-2006, 12:00 AM
looks good paul....I think it sould do a good days work no mater what it is :)

Paul B. Cresti
03-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Dan,
In all honesty I have never had the need to resaw anything that big but, if the saw can handle that large of a resaw capacity it means it sure has to be extra rigid enough to tension an opening that big..... and besides now maybe I will go hunt down some big trees!! I do not know of anyone in my area that can resaw 24" :eek:

Don Baer
03-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Paul The is sweet.
When i win the lottery that will be on my short list..

Great goat

Paul B. Cresti
03-17-2006, 12:04 AM
looks good paul....I think it sould do a good days work no mater what it is :)

Reg,
Best of luck on your trip...will be thinking of you. I am right around the corner from Jim (about 30 mins from him just inside NJ) let me know when you will be in the area again.

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Yea.... that's pretty much sweet!

Richard Wolf
03-17-2006, 7:38 AM
Great looking saw, Paul.

Richard

Fred Voorhees
03-17-2006, 7:59 AM
Yeah Paul, well I guess if Noah needs a new ark, your the man he should be coming to.:D :D

Julio Navarro
03-17-2006, 8:35 AM
Nver quite understood why they call it a "Mini" Max, not much mini about it.

Great looking machine Paul, and your shop looks great too!

Tyler Howell
03-17-2006, 8:36 AM
There's the Beef!!!!!!:cool:

Mark Singer
03-17-2006, 8:49 AM
Paul,
Very nice saw! Why do you want to resaw your mallets? :rolleyes: There is no switch ? Where do you turn it on?....or it just knows?

Paul B. Cresti
03-17-2006, 9:03 AM
Paul,
Very nice saw! Why do you want to resaw your mallets? :rolleyes: There is no switch ? Where do you turn it on?....or it just knows?

Well the mallets are a little heavy....so I wanted to cut the weight in half.....

I installed this technology that I see all the rich folk have in their brandy new luxury cars....It is called voice recognition!.... So the saw only turns on by the sound of my voice! Problem is so does everything else in the shop....So today I am going to re-record my voice at different octaves for each machine...from tenor to baritone and each special octave in between... "computer off", dam there goes the saw again....and the j/p.... and the slider....and the dc.....and the .....:)

Julio Navarro
03-17-2006, 9:09 AM
I installed this technology that I see all the rich folk have in their brandy new luxury cars....It is called voice recognition!.... So the saw only turns on by the sound of my voice! Problem is so does everything else in the shop....So today I am going to re-record my voice at different octaves for each machine...from tenor to baritone and each special octave in between... "computer off", dam there goes the saw again....and the j/p.... and the slider....and the dc.....and the .....:)

Thats a hoot!

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 10:14 AM
One observation...even if one never uses or needs the whole 24" of re-saw, it sure does improve the sight line when you are working at the machine. I think that's one of the big benefits of the "height war" that has been going on between MM and Laguna.

Nice machine, Paul. I don't think you're going to have any problem keeping the floor on the ground anymore. As to the voice rec thing...as someone who uses this technology almost daily to access voicemail, email, calendaring, etc., I can appreciate how you want to incorporate it into your shop. :) One of these days you can install a fine, Italian leather easy chair in the shop and just sit there with Espresso in hand an talk to the machines as they create cabinets and millwork for you... :D

Michael Ballent
03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Wow what a beast. What blades are you planning on using, and do you have a smaller BS around for scroll type work?

Dev Emch
03-17-2006, 12:30 PM
The problem with posting photos of a Y-20 snowflake is that SMC may find it necessary to remove them. You see, who ever designed that machine was thinking something and it wasn't woodworking! From the lines and curves, I think the subject for the sulupture must have been Marilyn Monroe or Jane Russel in her early days.:D

Byron Trantham
03-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Now that's a band saw!!!!:eek:

lou sansone
03-17-2006, 2:32 PM
wow .... nice saw... and I actually saw it in person .. best wishes paul

lou

Paul B. Cresti
03-17-2006, 3:10 PM
Lou,
Yes it was nice to finally meet you and guys he is as nice if not nicer in person.....just ask Mia (my smallest one, if she could talk) she raised here arms up and wanted to be promptly pick up by Lou!

Greg Hairston
03-17-2006, 3:47 PM
Damn you Paul,
Now I have to go sell my MM16 and get the 24 when I get back. Keeping up with the cresti's is getting too darn hard.:D

Greg

Mark Singer
03-17-2006, 3:48 PM
Well the mallets are a little heavy....so I wanted to cut the weight in half.....

Just your voice via the internet is turning me on.....:rolleyes: I love the high tech age and all of the electrons knowing where they are going....

Mike Waddell
03-17-2006, 4:28 PM
Biiiig saw. Niiiice saw.

Awesome saw, Paul. Let us know how it cuts! I am also curious why you like the cast iron fence. Not disagreeing, but I would like to hear what it is that you like about it.

All the best,

M

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 6:01 PM
Just your voice via the internet is turning me on..... I love the high tech age and all of the electrons knowing where they are going....

I'm getting really worried about you, my friend... ;) I think you need to go out to the shop and hand plane some schlamaca...

Paul B. Cresti
03-17-2006, 6:34 PM
Just your voice via the internet is turning me on.....:rolleyes: I love the high tech age and all of the electrons knowing where they are going....

Uhhhh eer ummmm....ok there Cali boy ;) (that was not the wink you think)

David Fried
03-17-2006, 6:52 PM
That's a nice setup Paul! Your voice response system sounds impressive. I can't believe I'm still plugging my stuff into the clapper!:D

Dave Fried

Doug Shepard
03-17-2006, 7:25 PM
....... So the saw only turns on by the sound of my voice! Problem is so does everything else in the shop....So today I am going to re-record my voice at different octaves for each machine...from tenor to baritone and each special octave in between... "computer off", dam there goes the saw again....and the j/p.... and the slider....and the dc.....and the .....:)

How about just learning some Italian to talk to that awesome new saw and leave the other jealous machines out of the conversation?

Dave Malen
03-17-2006, 8:37 PM
Hey Paul - how many years is the mortgage on that thing?:D

Dave

Jim O'Dell
03-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Paul, you found my saws great great grand daddy!!! On the voice recognition recordings, make sure you can program TWO possibilities for turning the saw off...one for normal operations, and one two octives higher for when something goes wrong with the cut! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Jim.

Paul B. Cresti
03-18-2006, 12:13 PM
How about just learning some Italian to talk to that awesome new saw and leave the other jealous machines out of the conversation?

I am first generation Italian...no problem there.....but what do I do about the Austrian DC I have ;)

Paul B. Cresti
03-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow what a beast. What blades are you planning on using, and do you have a smaller BS around for scroll type work?

Michael,
I really do not do any scrolling work. I have never needed anything less than a 1/2" blade, which I can use on this saw. Most of my ork has gentle curves, besides I do have a scroll saw & jig saw if I really need anything super tight

Paul B. Cresti
03-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Biiiig saw. Niiiice saw.

Awesome saw, Paul. Let us know how it cuts! I am also curious why you like the cast iron fence. Not disagreeing, but I would like to hear what it is that you like about it.

All the best,

M

Mike, check out the post I made about cast iron bandsw fences

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33070

tod evans
03-19-2006, 10:43 AM
nice saw paul!

Michael Adelong
03-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Wow Paul!

You can mass produce cabinets in a heartbeat now. Make one long cabinet using full length sheets and slice off the sizes you need like a big loaf of bread. :)

Michael