PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Wood Gloat

Jason Tuinstra
03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
So I happen to stop at my lumber supplier yesterday because I wanted to see if they had some wide cherry for the back panels of my wine cabinet. I wasn't expecting to see a whole lot but boy was I wrong! Check out what I found.

They just received a shipment of the wide stuff and the majority of it had this kind of figure! My mind was saying yes, but the pocket book wasn't agreeing. Argh.... I hate that fight! Anyway, I picked up what I could afford.

The widest board is 13" x 10'. The next widest is 11" and then the small one is 10". The 13" one has some sap wood on the left side (you can see it in the pic), but not bad at all. All boards are free of defects - totally clean! This will fit perfect with the cabinet I'm making.

Just thought I'd share. The price isn't bad considering the figure. I paid $6.50 bdf which is a dollar more than the normal cherry due to the width premium they tacked on.

Not bad eh?

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
WOW I thought I had the BEST lookin' Curly Cherry for the cradle I'm building, but that stuff is fantastic!

Have fun with it.

Bruce

Martin Shupe
03-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Nice score, Jason, for $6.50, I'd have bought every board.

Don Baer
03-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Great Gloat Jason, I think I'd have been tempted to over spend.

Vaughn McMillan
03-17-2006, 12:28 AM
Nice score, Jason. I'm paying more than that for plain ol' 3/4" x 6" wide cherry. At that price, I'd e buying as much as my wallet could handle. (Sounds like you did pretty much that.)

- Vaughn

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Nice score, Jason. I'm paying more than that for plain ol' 3/4" x 6" wide cherry. At that price, I'd e buying as much as my wallet could handle. (Sounds like you did pretty much that.)

- Vaughn

Yea, I spent too much money on the wine that I'm going to fill the cabinet with ;)

Tom Pritchard
03-17-2006, 4:25 AM
So I happen to stop at my lumber supplier yesterday because I wanted to see if they had some wide cherry for the back panels of my wine cabinet. I wasn't expecting to see a whole lot but boy was I wrong! Check out what I found.

They just received a shipment of the wide stuff and the majority of it had this kind of figure! My mind was saying yes, but the pocket book wasn't agreeing. Argh.... I hate that fight! Anyway, I picked up what I could afford.

The widest board is 13" x 10'. The next widest is 11" and then the small one is 10". The 13" one has some sap wood on the left side (you can see it in the pic), but not bad at all. All boards are free of defects - totally clean! This will fit perfect with the cabinet I'm making.

Just thought I'd share. The price isn't bad considering the figure. I paid $6.50 bdf which is a dollar more than the normal cherry due to the width premium they tacked on.

Not bad eh?

10", 11", and 13" wide curly cherry for $6.50 a board foot? WOW! I'd say you did GREAT!

The wood looks beautiful Jason! Nice gloat. Are you sure you want to use it on the back of a wine cabinet? It might make a more stunning piece that could be more easily seen and centrally located, like a table top.

In any case, it's beautiful stuff! Good job.

Rob Russell
03-17-2006, 8:01 AM
Jason,

Around here curly cherry 10+ wide is at least $2/bf higher than what you paid. Frankly, I can't buy plain cherry for $6.50/bf unless is less than 8" wide.

I woulda bought more too!

Rob

Joe Unni
03-17-2006, 9:54 AM
Sweet haul!

Have fun with it.

-joe

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 9:59 AM
Oh, my....I'm drooling. Really, I am! $6.50 is a very nice price for material with that kind of figure, especially outside of the normal geography for cherry!

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Nice gloat Jason. I bought some curly cherry 8" X 8' at $9.50 a bd ft.

Larry Fox
03-17-2006, 10:26 AM
WOW - that is georgeous stuff. Can't wait to see the end product.

Michael Stafford
03-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Wonderful looking wood, Jason. I know you will put it to good use. Last time I had some really fine curly cherry I made use of every scrap for turning projects, small boxes and even laminated scraps for handles and used it all but the sawdust....:D

Brett Baldwin
03-17-2006, 12:55 PM
I might think about selling some of that wine and going back for more boards. Or maybe you can just trade it directly!:D

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-17-2006, 1:59 PM
Really beautiful wood, and I agree with Tom, that wood should be front and center somewhere!

Mike

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 2:09 PM
Really beautiful wood, and I agree with Tom, that wood should be front and center somewhere!

Thanks Mike, but I have some even better stuff for front and center :p I don't want to waste it on "just" a back, but it's all I have. Besides, once the top is put on, the figure on these will look average at best... at least I hope :D

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 2:18 PM
Jason, since it's for a cabinet back...perhaps re-sawing it will stretch it further... ;)

Brent Harral
03-17-2006, 2:25 PM
and not a bad price at all. I pay $5.75 bf for 4/4 run of the mill and a little more than you for curly.

Killer lookin boards!

Dan Forman
03-17-2006, 4:59 PM
Jason---You are a lucky man to find such wood at such a price.

Dan

Bob Reeve
03-17-2006, 8:58 PM
Jason,

Nice score on the wood and the price. If you don't mind me prying, where in the central valley do you buy your wood?

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2006, 9:08 PM
Jason,

Nice score on the wood and the price. If you don't mind me prying, where in the central valley do you buy your wood?

Bob

Ahh... you're from Modesto. I'm not telling! :D :p Just kidding.

I get my wood from J.E. Higgins Lumber in Fresno - just a few miles off 99. They have a massive warehouse with humongous bundles of lumber. The guys drive around in fork lifts and move the bundles around for you to look at. This stuff was under about fifteen feet of other bundles. I said, "I'd like to look at this one please" and in a few seconds Mr. Fork-Lift let me at it. Great operation. One stop shopping. I spied some seriously wide 8/4 (@15") but I don't need anything like that, but it was impressive. I'd be happy to meet you there if you wanted to make the drive and needed some wood. They have an In-n-Out there as well. What more could you want. Cherry lumber and great burgers! Just let me know.

Bob Reeve
03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Jason,

I would love to meet you and get a double, double with cheese. My life is crazy with work and travel for the next few weeks but after that maybe we can get together. I am always looking for the next best place to find nice wood and talk with someone who shares a passion.

Bob

Pete Harbin
03-18-2006, 1:21 PM
Beautiful stuff Jason! It must be nice to have such a well stocked AND accomadating supplier! :eek: You don't see that a lot anymore.

Pete