PDA

View Full Version : Just Suppose...

Dave Richards
03-16-2006, 4:39 PM
That you had just bought a Delta 17-965 floor-standing drill press and it will be delivered next week. And suppose that when you set it up, you turned the base around to the back and put a whole mess of weight on it to keep the DP from tipping over. Would you make a small cart on wheels to slide in under the table?

I was looking at some literature that shows a picture of my old Walker-Turner bench top DP from 1932. The base is reversed as compared to the way we typically see them these days. The motor was originally mounted on the base with the shaft oriented front to back. The pulley was close to the shaft and the belt lead up, over a couple of pulleys at the top of the column and forward to the quill.

I got to thinking that if a floor standing DP was set up with the base toward the rear, it would give some nice floor space for a cart or cabinet that could be rolled out of the way when I need to lower the table of turn it for drilling into the end of a long piece. I don't have a ton of extra floor space so this might be a good way to keep from losing some.

So what do you think?

And did you catch the stealth gloat? :D

Tyler Howell
03-16-2006, 4:49 PM
I suppose that'd work:confused:
I've seen a few storage cabinets that slide over the base and wrap around the support collum. I was thinking your going to loose floor space with the whole DP moved more into the shop:confused:

Hey wait is this a gloat????:eek: and No pictures????

Marc Ward
03-16-2006, 5:00 PM
I can't quite imagine it in my mind's eye...maybe a "SKETCHUP" will help.

Dave Richards
03-16-2006, 5:04 PM
I knew you'd catch that. :D No pictures because the DP is supposedly on a truck somewhere making its way slowly to my shop.

Actually, with the motor hanging off the back like it does, I don't think turning the base around would push it that far out into the shop. I am expecting that I will want the base set up off the floor by perhaps 6". (DP is kinda short for me.) That would mean I would need probably 9" of clearance under a cabinet that would roll over and clear the base. That's vauable space. ;)

Dave Richards
03-16-2006, 5:24 PM
Marc, how about this. I didn't draw the DP and it's just a quickie. ;)

Frank Chaffee
03-16-2006, 5:30 PM
Dave,
I have the Delta 17-990X 16 ½” drill press, which looks similar to your 17-965. With the back of the belt drive case against a wall, the measurement from the back of the column to the wall is ~9 3/8”. Were I to reverse the base, the measurement would be ~15”.
Frank

Dave Richards
03-16-2006, 5:32 PM
So Frank, that's only about 6". I could get more usable volume in a cabinet that way.

Steve Clardy
03-16-2006, 5:36 PM
Sounds good!!!! Won't hurt to try it.

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 5:44 PM
I've done it. Machine was a bit tippy, so I lagged it to the floor. Rock solid for many years.

Vaughn McMillan
03-16-2006, 5:55 PM
Marc, how about this. I didn't draw the DP and it's just a quickie. ;)
No advice on the drill press question Dave, but I gotta compliment you on the nice mortared brick counterweight in your SU drawing. Who says brute force can't be good-looking? :p

- Vaughn

Frank Chaffee
03-16-2006, 5:55 PM
Dave,
Just providing a dimension that I hope you can use. Interesting approach and I look forward to seeing what you sketchup.
Frank

Peter Mc Mahon
03-16-2006, 6:06 PM
IF you turn the base around you have lost floor space by having to move the drill press outwards. And if the cart is on wheels just add some spacers so it clears the base and leave it in the normal orientation.

Jim Hager
03-16-2006, 6:20 PM
I have a suggestion. Why not just build the cabinet up on casters far enough to roll right over the base of the drill press so you don't loose any of that precious floor space?? I may not be seeing something right in my minds eye but if the casters are like a 4"er it is going to miss the base anyway.:confused:

Dave Richards
03-16-2006, 6:47 PM
I have a suggestion. Why not just build the cabinet up on casters far enough to roll right over the base of the drill press so you don't loose any of that precious floor space?? I may not be seeing something right in my minds eye but if the casters are like a 4"er it is going to miss the base anyway.:confused:

It won't miss the base if I put the DP on a six inch riser to make it comfortable for me to use.

Vaughn, I was really thinking lead but I didn't have a lead texture in SU. :D

Doug Shepard
03-16-2006, 6:52 PM
Dave - I can't help wondering about another option. What about putting your riser platform on heavy shop casters and make it a little wider and come further forward? Then put TWO cabinets on top of the riser base running front to back on either side of the DP and span the space in between with a longer shop-made DP table. You'd still have access to the column if you need it and the whole affair could be easily rolled out for accomodating longer boards. Plus the knee area underneath would be open if you need to stand close up to the table. Just a thought.

Frank Chaffee
03-16-2006, 7:02 PM
Vaughn, I was really thinking lead but I didn't have a lead texture in SU. :D
Dave,
All my drawings have lead texture. Get with it.
Frank

Dave Richards
03-16-2006, 7:09 PM
Doug. You might be onto something. I'll doodle a bit and see what I come up with.

Frank. :D

Folks, remember I said, "Just suppose." ;)

Don Baer
03-16-2006, 7:18 PM
Or perhaps an inverted U shaped cabinate to fit over the base and raised platform With three section of drawers the out side two being lower then the center section. That way the cabinate/Table can be rolled out of the way without the platform having to move.