PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking clubs or guilds

Steve Ash
03-16-2006, 4:09 PM
Just sitting here waiting for Larry Merlau and Keith July to go to our monthly woodworkers meeting and I was wondering how many SMC members attend a woodworkers meeting on a regular basis? As for myself I go to two different ones....who else goes?

Jim Young
03-16-2006, 4:27 PM
I've been to one once, bunch of old cranky guys. They have this obsession with cookies. :0

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 4:30 PM
I'm off to my turner's club meeting tonight.

We do doughnuts and ice cream, Jim. No one gets cranky with that stuff around.

Jim Becker
03-16-2006, 6:25 PM
I'm a member of the local AAW (American Association of Woodturners) chapter and until last October, I attended nearly every month...business travel being the only reason I would miss. Since then, I've missed all the meetings due to this new parenthood thing, but I am planning on attending next Monday night to see John Jordan's demonstration. I am not a member of a woodworking guild, although Alan Turner mentioned awhile back the idea of starting one.

Steve Ash
03-17-2006, 7:09 AM
I've been to one once, bunch of old cranky guys. They have this obsession with cookies. :0

Once???? You are in the cookie buffet line more than anyone :D... and I'm not that old.

Geez Andy, doughnuts and ice cream....quite a combo.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2006, 8:13 AM
Geez Andy, doughnuts and ice cream....quite a combo.

I don't think Dave would be too happy about ice cream on the slider.

Tyler Howell
03-17-2006, 8:31 AM
I'm a member of MN WW Guild. I've only been to one meeting :o but there will be more. Their newsletter, web site, and 10% discount at many WW suppiers is well worth the cost of admission.
They've had many greats in for weekend seminars including Jeff Jewit (SP?). David Marks is on the ticket for this year.

larry merlau
03-17-2006, 12:36 PM

hey steve this person mentioning going once??did you hear him say "i didnt see those brownies there before" and he was off to the races:D bt hey we want to make sure those city dwellin hillbillys are taken well care off.

Jim Young
03-17-2006, 1:05 PM
Those cookies sure were good yesterday. Especially the ones with frosting.

On the serious side, if you don't go to a local club you are really missing out. It's a great way to pick up some skills from the many people there. I notice that I learn from simple conversations while standing over a tool. Unlike the internet you actually can discuss in a show and tell manner. You also will see how easy it is to do some things, something that is difficult to gage from a book or on a forum.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2006, 1:23 PM
Especially the ones with frosting.

There was frosting? :eek: Now I'm really mad I missed. :D

On the serious side, if you don't go to a local club you are really missing out. It's a great way to pick up some skills from the many people there. I notice that I learn from simple conversations while standing over a tool. Unlike the internet you actually can discuss in a show and tell manner. You also will see how easy it is to do some things, something that is difficult to gage from a book or on a forum.

And I couldn't agree more with Jim. No matter how many times I read about sharpening a scraper I couldn't get it. Then someone showed how at our meeting and now I know.

larry merlau
03-17-2006, 1:30 PM
i too agree with jim, have learned alot form the times i have went and what's better is the fact you can actually get to know others with the same intersts and the food aint bad either:) yeh matt they were homemade white sugar cookies with green frosting and white sparkles. i think the little lady that turns pens made them, she done a fine job on them. there was a veggie tray with dip and if you were the lucky one you could have gotten a free pass to applby's steak shop.. next month they said it was your turn to bring the goodies, cause keith is gonna talk and we will need something to occupy our minds for the time he is up there:D

Keith July
03-17-2006, 1:54 PM
next month they said it was your turn to bring the goodies, cause keith is gonna talk and we will need something to occupy our minds for the time he is up there:D[/quote]
What was I going to talk about?:confused: :confused:
I hope there will be plenty to eat next month cause we don't need alot of chatter in the back ground when I'm talkin.;)

Keith
PS....Hey look Steve. I have been a member for one year this month. Yea....and I have 52 posts. Thats one a week. Pretty cool huh.

Jack Hogoboom
03-17-2006, 2:11 PM
I know about the AAW chapters, but other than Google searches, anyone have any idea how to find a local woodworking club? I'd love to join one, but don't think any exist in my neck of the woods....

Sounds like that Michigan club might be worth the road-trip....:D

Jack

Steve Ash
03-17-2006, 2:35 PM
PS....Hey look Steve. I have been a member for one year this month. Yea....and I have 52 posts. Thats one a week. Pretty cool huh.

Yeah Keith....:rolleyes: If you talk as much as the speaker at next month's meeting as you post on here, we may want all that background chatter just so something IS being said.

I find that the woodworkers meetings are a great way to share information, tips, ideas and make friendships with people who have the same interests and live nearby.

Jack, maybe someone could begin a list (Sticky in support forum maybe)of woodworking clubs and a person could look for a nearby one to attend...just a thought. They are definately worth the time to check into.

Dave Anderson NH
03-17-2006, 2:43 PM
Our guild, The Guild of NH Woodworkers, is an umbrella organization. We hold 5 major meetings a year which include a business meeting, a combination jigs & fixtures and social hour, and a 2 hour presentation on a woodworking topic. Additionally, we hold 2 Small Meetings Days per year in October and March where there are anywhere from 3-6 simultaneous meetings on different topic going on in different areas of the state. This type of meeting allows us to cover topics of narrower interest and they are held in individual members shops. The guild also has several sub-groups each of which hold either 5 or six meetings per year. The Granite State Woodturners sub-group is also an AAW chapter, the Beginner-Intermediate Group (BIG) gives instruction to folks entering our hobby, and the Period Furniture Group covers topics on pre-industrial furniture such as Queen Anne, Federal, and Chippendale. GNHW also takes part in a 2 day Wood Days Festival at Cantebury Shaker Village where we demo everything from woodcarving to furniture making. For 9 days in August, we run simultaneous and continuous turning, carving, furniture making and other demos in two large tents at The League of NH Craftsmans Sunapee Fair. Our guild maintains a video library (now on DVD) of every major guild meeting going back 14 years which is available for members to rent free. We have a scholarship program to assist both member and non-member woodworkers to further their skills, and we have arranged discounts of 5-15% with various stores, lumberyards, and woodworking schools. Currently membership is about 420.

Keith July
03-17-2006, 4:05 PM
I know about the AAW chapters, but other than Google searches, anyone have any idea how to find a local woodworking club? I'd love to join one, but don't think any exist in my neck of the woods....

Sounds like that Michigan club might be worth the road-trip....:D

Jack

Jack,
You are welcome anytime. There is plans in the works to have an outdoor meeting/picnic. This summer of course. Might be a good time to make a trip.
You might want to try checking with a local lumber yard. They may know of a club in your area.
Keith

Chris Billman
03-18-2006, 7:43 PM
I have been a member for one year this month. Yea....and I have 52 posts. Thats one a week. You've got me beat by a long shot Keith! ;)

Youse guys know any good clubs in my area? :D

Steve Ash
03-18-2006, 8:17 PM
You've got me beat by a long shot Keith! ;)

Youse guys know any good clubs in my area? :D

I just about choked on the popsicle I was enjoying when I saw you finally posted on SMC. I'll be the first to welcome you to SMC except you've been here longer than me!

And to answer your question, ....there is one called Southeast Michigan Woodworkers that I'm sure would let you frequent, Mr. President.:D Need a address or do you already have it memorized?

Thomas Prondzinski
03-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm a member of the MN WW Guild,for about 5 years do a half dozen meetings a year.Going Tuesday ,veneer with Tom Schrunk. We have a great woodworking show every year, one weekend seminar every year(David Marks) this year.

Tom

David Fried
03-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Our guild, The Guild of NH Woodworkers,

Dave,

It's long drive from Connecticut, do you have cookies? I hear the competition in Maine has donuts and ice cream:D

Dave Fried

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 11:18 PM
David - We could use some new blood up here. We'll lay in a sap bucket's worth of your favorite flavor if you let us know in advance when you'll be coming.

Steve Ash
03-19-2006, 11:00 AM
We'll lay in a sap bucket's worth of your favorite flavor if you let us know in advance when you'll be coming.

hmmmm......I'm thinking ROAD TRIP.....French Vanilla ice cream with Crunchy peanut butter and caramel topping......:D :eek:
Well that was before I went on this diet....how about a diet coke instead.

Andy Hoyt
03-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Sorry, Steve. Diet is a word outside the common parlance up here. But we could churn some extra air into a run of Double Fudge Ripple Cookie Dough. Same ingredients and ratios; and results in more spoonfuls at half the caloric value while affording the opportunity for twice the consumption. Huh?

Gail O'Rourke
03-19-2006, 5:01 PM
Dave and Andy - keep me in the loop for anything that would be worth the ride from Plymouth MA - I would love to head up sometime and can make a road trip.

Dave Anderson NH
03-20-2006, 11:06 AM
For Gail, David, and others

Our NH guild unfortunately doesn't do much with food though you'd never guess from looking at my belly.:D We do allow guests to come to meetings though. We also try to run a symposium at least every 3 years open to the general woodworking public and free. Last year it was a joinery symposium with 11 different presenters including: Chris Becksvoort, David Lamb, Alan Breed, etc, etc. Martin Shupe and a friend from Texas made it there along with a few other Creekers. We had a great time and had over 100 people from other guilds in addition to our own folks.

If you would like to get an idea of what we do, you can read some of our old newsletters at our website and look at the pretty pictures. www.gnhw.org (http://www.gnhw.org)

Roger Myers
03-20-2006, 3:06 PM
I'm just back from vacation and tired (think I need a vacation)...so I'll keep my input short...
What dave Anderson said goes for me too!
:)
Roger

Frank Fusco
03-21-2006, 2:39 PM
I attend the monthly meetings of my woodturners club. Ozark Woodturners http://ozarkwoodturners.org/index.htm
Frank