PDA

View Full Version : AnchorSeal

Howie French
03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
where do you guys buy your AnchorSeal ?
any advantage to the colored Anchorseal versus the Clear ?

thanks, Howie

Mark Cothren
03-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Here is where I got my 5-gallon jug. They'll also send you a quart of it free - at least they used to - before you buy a big jug.

https://www.uccoatings.com/[/URL][URL="https://www.uccoatings.com"] (https://www.uccoatings.com/prod_anchorseal.php)

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Mark they don't give prices on their site. What is the price of the 2 gal or 5 gal of anchorseal? Thanks.

Mark Cothren
03-16-2006, 12:30 PM
If you select "Purchase Online" and then put in your ZIP code, you can select either or both of these and see the prices.

Jim Becker
03-16-2006, 2:21 PM
Direct in the 5 gallon pail. You can always sell some to other turners in your area if you don't feel you can use it all...and make a few bucks.

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 2:37 PM
I've always ended up buying the one gallon size, but the big bucket from UCC is very attractive price wise. Does the stuff have a shelf life? Last forever? Somewhere in between?

John Hart
03-16-2006, 3:17 PM
I've always ended up buying the one gallon size, but the big bucket from UCC is very attractive price wise. Does the stuff have a shelf life? Last forever? Somewhere in between?

It lasts forever. In fact, if it dries out, just pour some anchorseal on it and it rejuvenates.

By the way...The shipping is free. I've found that the 5 gallon pail for $40 is really a pretty good deal. 55 Gallons is better of course!!

Tom Jones III
03-16-2006, 4:15 PM
I don't think shipping is free, with my zip of 77584 one gallon is $29.50 on that web site. My local store Cutting Edge sells gallon cans of something with their label. I think the owner makes a brew based on anchor seal that he sells for $14 a gallon. I've used it and it seems to work just fine.

Ernie Nyvall
03-16-2006, 4:16 PM
It lasts forever. In fact, if it dries out, just pour some anchorseal on it and it rejuvenates.

By the way...The shipping is free. I've found that the 5 gallon pail for $40 is really a pretty good deal. 55 Gallons is better of course!!

John, where the heck do you get it for $40 for 5 gal. I looked at ucc and for my zip it is $66. Being curious I put in your zip and it is $51.50 :mad: unless I am looking at something wrong or you get yours somewhere else.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 4:24 PM
Thanks! Ran my zip and it's $51.50 also.

John Hart
03-16-2006, 4:25 PM
Mmmmm...That's weird. The last time I bought it, their site wouldn't work right so I had to call in my order. Maybe I'm wrong, but I coulda sworn that it was only 40 bucks and he told me it was free shipping. I'm prolly wrong. I'll check my receipt if I can find it.

It was a funny phone call. The guy was a VP or something and he was thinking about taking up Turning as a hobby. I just laughed and gave him the same pressure as we give here. Sucked him right in. He decided to go ahead a buy a lathe.:D

Ernie Nyvall
03-16-2006, 4:47 PM
It was a funny phone call. The guy was a VP or something and he was thinking about taking up Turning as a hobby. I just laughed and gave him the same pressure as we give here. Sucked him right in. He decided to go ahead a buy a lathe.:D

That could have been it... he may have given you a break for the friendly conversation. It happens. Course it could be why it's gone up too... Because he has to pay for lathe tools. So the price hike could be all your fault.:D To get it to Texas, it's $66 so the free shipping is built in. It's still $10 cheaper for 5 gal.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
03-16-2006, 7:31 PM
My 5 gallons was between $40 and $50... don't recall the exact amount... but it says $51.50 now... that is still not bad... I've used the heck out of my stash and still have a big plenty left.

Jim Ketron
03-16-2006, 9:57 PM
They sent me a flier a few months back saying the price was going to go up because of gas price and how its made from petroleum.
Think when I purchased my 5 gal over a year ago it was $46 with shipping. Big savings compared to $20 a gal for the woodcraft brand.

Kurt Forbes
03-17-2006, 10:47 AM
a wax water emulsion?

whear does the petrol come in?

Jim Becker
03-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Kurt, paraffin wax is made from petroleum...

Kurt Forbes
03-18-2006, 11:59 AM
so how does one emulsify wax?
I am guessing it is a difficult process or you would not worry about buying Anchorseal.

Curt Fuller
03-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Maybe you could warm up a chunk of parrafin wax and put it in the blender with a little warm water and hit purree.

Yesterday I cut some bowl blanks and sealed them with anchorseal. Left them on a big sheet of cardboard on the patio to dry. Went in the house and a had a couple jolts and completely forgot they were out there. It rained in the night and this morning when I when out all of the anchorseal was washed off and all over the patio. I guess we'll see if it makes for a good concrete sealer.

Dick Strauss
03-18-2006, 2:35 PM
guys,
our local turning club bought a 55gal drum. When we divided it up, it came to $32 per 5 gal and $7-8 for single gallons including shipping. If you can get 11 guys who want 5 gal each, order it by the drum and save the money.

I've gone through over a gallon in the last six months and I apply it sparingly so five gallons isn't really that much. If it dries in the can, you can add water and it will turn back into a liquid. I know because I was desperate one day when I was at the bottom of my first gallon can and noticed some dried AS under the rim of the can. After adding some water and doing some swishing with a paintbrush, I had more AS to use.

Jim Becker
03-18-2006, 5:29 PM
so how does one emulsify wax?
I am guessing it is a difficult process or you would not worry about buying Anchorseal.

I suspect that is true...and they have different formulas, depending on whether freezing is an issue or not...