PDA

View Full Version : Bent saw blade

Lynn Sonier
08-09-2003, 7:33 PM
Taking loving care of my saw today. Took off the WW II blade and noted something. The pitch that builds around the blade looked sort of funny. It describes a circle until it gets to one point where it veers off at a 30 degree angle and goes straight to the edge.
I assume the blade is bent but do not understand how it got bent. I treat this blade very carefully and it is only a few months old. Anyone one know what the heck (expletive deleted) is happening here?

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-09-2003, 7:47 PM
Wow Lynn, that is a new one on me. I am sure there is a way for a blade to get bent, but I have never had that happen to me. Have you cut a kerf with it and checked out the kerf measurement? That would be a tell tale sign of a bent blade. If it is bent just a LITTLE, it will cut a wider kerf, and there will also be noticeable vibration. I know if you take a piece of masking tape and put it on the blade, on the outside under a portion of the Washer or Arbor Nut, it will cut a wider Kerf. Even a very thin piece of tape will widen the kerf considerably, and I would think a slightly bent blade would be very noticeable, and have the same result. Maybe just a freak thing also? Try laying it flat on a good, flat surface, say your table saw top, and check to see if there is a high spot when you push down on each cutter with your finger, all the way around the blade, this may point out the problem area, if there is one. Maybe someone else has had this problem.........sure is strange, Huh?

Todd Burch
08-09-2003, 9:20 PM
I just got my WWII back from the sharpener... Now it's a wobble blade... Gonna have a talk with the owner... I'm ticked.

Jim Becker
08-09-2003, 9:55 PM
I just got my WWII back from the sharpener... Now it's a wobble blade... Gonna have a talk with the owner... I'm ticked.

Forrest on the east coast and Scott's Sharpening Service near Phoenix are the only places I'd trust with a WW-II!

Rob Glynn
08-09-2003, 10:52 PM
I have 3 12" blades for my TS. 2 are special purpose and the 3rd is an all purpose. The all purpose blade has a slight bend that is visible if I view the blade, end on, when it is running at full height. I can see a slight waver of the edge.
The blade has 3mm wide teeth but cuts a kerf of about 4.5 mm. I continue to use the blade, for first, course cuts.
My only concern about such a blade is that it should not be used to tune and align the saw. In fact, I have reservations about using any blade. I have cut a circle from 6 mm hardboard and I fit that to the saw when I want to adjust the alignment or vertical angle of the saw.

Bruce Page
08-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Lynn,
I’d start by removing any pitch from the blade and making sure that the arbor flange & cup washer are clean. I would then follow Kevin’s suggestion of checking the kerf width. If it is substantially oversize, Forrest can re-flatten it for you. I have an almost new Freud blade that got bent and I don’t have a clue how it got that way – stuff happens.