PDA

View Full Version : Grizzley G0490 Jointer advise needed

Jim Watson
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Wow, hit the wrong button and deleted my question, so will try again! First off what a great site. I discovered it a week or so ago and find myself logging on every evening to check out all the great discussions going on. A great resourse to say the least.
My questions regarding the above jointer are concerning the table height adjustment levers. This will be my first jointer so I am wondering do these levers offer good control, or ease of adjustment. It would seem to me that the handwheel type control would be more precise.
And finally just what is the advantage of the "parallelogram table sytem". I really appeciate any advise,
Jim

John Hedges
03-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Levers are great on this jointer. One of the benefits of the Paralellagram beds is the ease of adjustment. The only time you need to do fine adjustments is on the outfeed table. Even there I set it close to the knives when changing them and then set the knives to an equal height when setting them. On the infeed I set it to take about a 16th of an inch and leave it there. The infeed does not have to be accurate just close. This is a great jointer for the money.

The advantages of the parallelagram design are that the tables adjust easier. The tables stay a constant distance from the cutterhead regardless of what height they are set at and if the tables ever get out of adjustment they are easily adjusted compared to a wedgebed design.

Jim Watson
03-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the information John. This sounds like a good jointer for the price - and the shipping is quite resonable. Off to oder it now,
Jim

Tom Pritchard
03-17-2006, 4:29 AM
Jim, can't help you with the jointer (don't have one yet:( ), but the G0490 is my top choice if I were buying today.

Just wanted to welcome you to the Creek! Looking forward to hearing about your new jointer!

Michael Fross
03-17-2006, 9:23 AM
What a timely thread. I'm in the market today to pick up a jointer (my first if you don't count my LN #7 ;-).

The Grizzly G0452 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452) and the Jet 708455 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064NGRY/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-5932768-3191132?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=228013) are the 2 I've narrowed it down to in my price range. I'm really torn. The Jet has a smaller motor and open stand, but has both handwheels for infeed and outfeed table support.

I was leaning towards the jet until this thread! Eeek, what's a fella to do. More reading I guess.

Any thoughts?

Michael