PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #9 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, let's see - I left off two days ago (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32899) when I fryed my brain dealing with that one small corner of this beast. Progress has been made!
I now have the gable end all sided. At first glance the siding may look a bit crude to you, but that's intentional. The real church was sided with a rough sawn wavy yet square edged 2x8 plank. Easy for me - I just worked quick and sloppy.:D
And here are a few components to the dreaded windows. In the next photo you'll see that there are three windows roughed in, but I'm only making two, while the third demonstrates the rough opening. Anywho, the green trim units (which are now painted "Parisian Taupe" (aka off-white) to match the walls will go on the interior as the casing. These are plastic resin items that I found at the last minute from an outfit in Ohio. But they were too tall so I had to cut them down. Look for the cut line near the meeting rail. I sawed a bunch of cedar into 1/16th inch thick strips and glue laminated them around the form. The fourth and last piece is drying now. Assembly and installation will take place tomorrow simultaneously. I think.
Now that I know the dimensions and arc values of the windows I was quickly able to get the rough openings cut and the "sheetrock" set.
This shot shows a bit of everything. The siding is done on the gable; the "window wall" has received the SIPs; and the wall has been strapped. You'll note I cheated on the near end with the strapping again, but on the far end where it will all be visible I laid up some 1x4s at 16" o/c. The first course of roof shakes have been installed too.
And here's an interior shot. Better not forget that chair rail.

Hang on. I got two more pics to post.

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 10:30 PM
And here's a close up of the wall detail.
And here's a close up of the roof detail

Thanks.

Cecil Arnold
03-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Impressive Andy.

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Andy,
This is some amazing work. True artistry. Now take a break and have some ice cream.

Bruce Page
03-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Andy, I have really enjoyed watching your work progress. When it's all said & done, what does a model like this weigh?

Vaughn McMillan
03-16-2006, 4:19 AM
Amazing work, Andy. I love the detail you put into it. Many of the frame construction terms are new to me, so I'm not understanding all the pieces you're describing, but the pics illustrate the fact that you sure know what you're doing.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
03-16-2006, 6:28 AM
WOW! I'm more and more impressed as this structure takes shape Andy. Your attention to detail [not span] is remarkable. The windows seem to be overly large for the building, or is it just me? Maybe I'm just OD'ed on king crab legs from last night. :)

It appears that you will win the "Who's project will be done first" contest. You just keep the whip to them workers of your's. Do you ever give 'em a break?

Just remember the winner springs for the ICE CREAM. :D

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2006, 8:23 AM
Most excellent work there Andy!!!!! You must have the patience of 6 men. Very nice work, great detail. Thanks for sharing. :D

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 9:29 AM
Coupla follow up comments for you.

Cecil - Thanks!

Don - No time for ice cream :eek: too much to do. Horrors!

Bruce - If you look at the various photos I've been posting, you'll see that sometimes it sits down on the workbench and sometimes sits up on some boxes - it's all about eye level access. Anyway, yesterday was the point where it became so unwieldy that I can no longer move it up and down by myself with any degree of saftey. My guess is that when done it will be about 40 pounds. I just shipped this tiny one (http://www.downscaledesigns.com/html/ann_arbor__mi.html) a few weeks ago. The model weighed nine and a half pounds but the shipping crate weighed 45! That one went via Brown with no issues, but something of this size would be crated, palletized, and sent via common carrier.

Vaughn - Ignorance is often bliss (I should know!), but please write or call about something if you don't understand it. Should you call, know that my customer service hotline is outsourced to Kuala Lumpur and is staffed by numerous members of the Binti family.:D

Karl - Good eye! The windows are the same height as in the real church, but they are about eleven inches wider than preferred. I could have built them to the correct size and was all set to do so, but when I found those resin casings with the fleur de lie (sp?) muntins I was sold on them immediately as there was no way I'd ever have been able to do that on my own in the time frame that I am stuck with. And yes - my attention span is very limited. I am absitively ready to go spend some quality time with my lathe.

Dennis - My customer will be picking this up around 4 PM this Sunday. Take time out for a brew and a bowl of anything ice like, then I'll have just enough time to turn my bonker before you shut down the contest. That's my motivation to be done!