PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Cabinet Saw

Gary Stamper
08-09-2003, 5:38 PM
Has anyone here ever used a Hitachi Cabinet Saw? I found a C12Y Hitachi cabinet saw the guy wants $400.00 for. It uses 12" blades and has a 3 HP motor. I don't remember seeing one of these before and was wondering if it would be worth going to have a look. I've done some searching on the net but haven't found much information on it.

Thanks,

Gary S

Charles McKinley
08-09-2003, 8:37 PM
For that price I would at least go look at it. Hitachi smaller power tools have a good reputation. Check out the trunions, condition of the table etc, worn bearing, bent arbor, rip fence and adjustment wheels. There is a dealer that eBays new Hatichi stuff but I can't think of their name at the moment. They may be able to answer some of your questions.

Good luck,

Todd Burch
08-09-2003, 9:16 PM
Several years ago I looked at a Hitachi 12" saw when my Craftsman motor burnt out. I don't remember why I was talked out of it by my professional cabinetmaker friend now, but he had a couple points that seemed worthy of consideration. His recommendation - a Powermatic 5HP. What did I buy? A Powermatic 5HP. I've never looked back - it is a fantastic saw.

Mike Sweat
08-10-2003, 1:09 PM
in PDF format at
http://www.hitachi.com/supportingdocs/consumerproducts/powertools/discontinuedtools/woodworking/C12Y_OM.pdf

Bruce Page
08-10-2003, 2:20 PM
Gary,
I could be wrong, I’ve never seen or even heard of one of these before, but after looking at Mike’s PDF post it looks like a contractors/hybrid saw on a pedestal. If it is 3-phase, I’d definitely pass on it.

Gary Stamper
08-11-2003, 8:06 AM
Thanks Everyone,

I think i"ll pass on this one. It may be a good machine but if I have a problem later on down the road, parts will be hard to find. The Hitachi site says they stock parts for a tool only for 5 years after it is discontinued. It appears there are very few of these saws out there. Thanks again for everyones help.

Gary S