PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of new Grizzly lathe

Dave Mcintire
03-15-2006, 9:01 PM
Has anybody tried out or heard any reports about the new 20 inch swing Grizzly lathe?

Pete Jordan
03-15-2006, 9:05 PM
I had ordered it but was talked out of it on this forum so I canceled my order. The thing that scared me the most was the low end speed of 500 rpms. Being new to turning, I was informed that 500 was too fast for large bowls. I ended up getting the PM3520B and am very happy!

Pete

Bart Leetch
03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
It's an old design. The 24" swing is only over the gap & the low speed RPM is to fast for bigger bowls. If your going to make a 24" swing lathe make it full length of the bed get rid of the gap. Also I wish Grizzly would get rid of the disk sander on the back side of their lathe heads on the 2 higher end lathes. A lathe is a lathe not a sander. Make the head so you can turn outboard for bigger projects. I like Grizzly tools but would not waste my money on this one. Again I say get rid of the sander a lathe is a lathe is a lathe not a sander.

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-16-2006, 12:29 PM
A lathe is a lathe not a sander
And it makes it harder and more expensive to add a vacume chuck.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-16-2006, 2:46 PM
A lathe is a lathe not a sander. Again I say get rid of the sander a lathe is a lathe is a lathe not a sander.

Boy Bart, I wish someone would tell Jet. I opened my manual and this is what I read under the wiring section:
http://home.houston.rr.com/foreverz2002/Turnings/instr.jpg
Someone needs a good proof reader. Just a little humor to go round and round.

Ernie Nyvall
03-16-2006, 10:36 PM
As Pete and Bart have already stated, the 500 rpm start off is too fast for the large diameter bowl that the machine will turn. The banjo looks to be like the one I have on the G1495 and it is completely inadequate for turning anything over 9" in diameter. They make extensions for the banjo and I broke four of them before I just said forget it. The gap where the 24" swing is presents a problem finishing up the outside of a bowl because you need the tool rest between the bowl and the motor... with the step you can't do it unless you glue an extension on the bottom of the bowl. Grizzly has made an impressive SOUNDING lathe in my opinion with the power, swing and price, but to me is not worth it.

Oh, I have other Grizzly tools that I am happy with, but I wouldn't try to sell the lathe I have to a friend. That's why it's still in my shop even though I have since bought the PM3520.

Ernie