PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever seen this....

Keith Barkhau
03-15-2006, 8:25 PM
I was driving through my neighborhood this evening when I noticed one of my neighbors had just pulled into his driveway and pressed is automatic shop door opener, when he did the strangest thing...he pulled his car into his attached two bay shop. And if that wasn't enough I noticed his wife's car was in there too!?! Where do you think he keeps all his wood, tools and sawdust? I've been in his basement, and I know its not there....

I asked SWMBO-BRI about this when I got home and all she did was punch me in the arm....

Tyler Howell
03-15-2006, 8:29 PM
That is pretty strange. Maybe he hasn't seen the light !:D

John Anderson
03-15-2006, 8:33 PM
You got some wierd neighbors....

Lee DeRaud
03-15-2006, 8:33 PM
Hey, at least you have basements! My neighbors think I'm some kind of mutant because I put my car inside the garage every night: theirs are completely full of the kinds of stuff you probably keep in your basement.

And I'm the only woodworker on the block.

Of course things have changed just a bit from days of yore when I managed to get two cars and a motorcycle in the garage at the same time...now it's just one car and a whole pile of tools.

Richard Wolf
03-15-2006, 8:42 PM
What's a garage??

Richard

Bruce Page
03-15-2006, 9:02 PM
Define "Garage"

Mike Cutler
03-15-2006, 9:11 PM
You don't have any strange "Pods" in your neighborhood do ya'.
Pretty scary if ya' ask me.;)

Jim Dailey
03-15-2006, 9:32 PM
I maintain back when Grandpa sold Grandma on this concept called "horseless carriage" or the Model T. He and Henry Ford never intended the car to sit inside ('cause how else are you going to impress the neighbors....). Henry put paint on the metal to protect it from the weather... in any color you wanted as long as it was black....... Well any way as long as Grandpa was selling the idea of a "car" he also sold the idea of a "garage".... which of course was a "shop" that is actually a place to go to get away from Grandma. If he would have straight out called it a "shop" it would have never passed "go"..... Everything was going well until WWII when he and every body else when away. Grandma, aka "Rosie the Riveter" with time on her hands and Grandpa away not to protect his shop.... er.... ah.... I mean... "garage" cleaned it out and parked the car in it!!!!!!! Can you imagine Grandpa's shock when he can home!!!! We've just been trying to get it back to it's proper state, or place all these years........

BLAME GRANDMA!!!!

Jerry Olexa
03-15-2006, 10:00 PM
They obviously don't know the true use for a garage:D :)

Mike Goetzke
03-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey your from Naperville so you'll understand my story from yesterday - I live in Orland Park.

My shop also has a big overhead door w/ an automatic SHOP door opener. If I'm not working on a project I can actually get my wife's Suburban in the SHOP. I also have 5-kids of which 3 are drivers w/cars. That's 5-cars and a pop-up camper in my suburban driveway.

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from my wife telling me that the local law inforcement officer had ticketed two of the cars for blocking the sidewalk!

I've had a car or two blocking the drive for at least 5-years now and I drove around the block and saw 9 other houses with cars blocking the sidewalk. Guess we were the lucky ones. Of coarse my wife mentioned if I wasn't taking over the garage we would have avoided the tickets.

Needless to say I'm going to protest these tickets and protect my SHOP space.

Mike

Jeff Horton
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Define "Garage"

Where I park my truck and the wifes car. A structure attached the house with a similiar construction style as the house it is attached too.:cool:

FYI
Shop (aka the Train Station) - Where the tools and old iron are stored and used to turm big peices of wood into smaller peices of wood and sawdust. ;)

Brett Baldwin
03-16-2006, 12:30 AM
I lived in Bolingbrook for most of my formative years and the only car I recall being in the shop space at our house was an MG Midget with the engine sitting in front of the car and various pieces of it strewn about. Now I did have a friend who's mother actually kept her completely intact car in the shop space except for the weekly ritual of washing it, after which it was promptly put back inside. Then again, she was German so I figured these were probably just strange habits from across the pond.

Gary Swart
03-16-2006, 12:35 AM
After about 20 years, I've managed to accomplish the same thing! It took much figuring, but I did it. First thing I did was to build a mobile cart for my clamps. Then I put every machine on a mobile base with 4 swivel caster each. That required modifying my Shop Fox bases, but sure makes fitting the machines into their parking places easy. When everything is parked, I have a huge pile of iron, and to use anything I have to back the car and truck out then pull the machines out of park, but it really isn't too hard. My wife really liked being able to get into a more or less warm car without having to scrape frost when she went to work this winter. I'm sure some of the neighbors wondered for awhile why there were never any cars in the driveway.:D

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2006, 1:13 AM
Is it even possible to get 2 cars in a garage shop? Didn't know anybody could make that happen.:D

Lee DeRaud
03-16-2006, 1:15 AM
Is it even possible to get 2 cars in a garage shop? Didn't know anybody could make that happen.:DWhere Chris Padilla when we really need him?:rolleyes:

Kelly C. Hanna
03-16-2006, 1:44 AM
That wasn't a shop.....it was a GARAGE....heaven forbid. :eek: :D

Mike Leone
03-16-2006, 8:01 AM
my workshop is in the basement, the garage is ment for storing wood:D

Jason Tuinstra
03-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Define "Garage"

Garage comes from the Latin and means, loosely translated, "Wood shop" :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Jason that's an extemely loose tranlsation!:D

Guy Germaine
03-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I would avoid those neighbors like the plague. That just sounds too strange.:D

Keith Barkhau
03-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Garage comes from the Latin and means, loosely translated, "Wood shop" :p :D

Which apparently has its orgins in the Greek word for, "What do you mean you need ANOTHER router?!?"

Mike Wilkins
03-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Only in America-do we keep our junk in the garage and our expensive vehicles in the driveway. But I would not know; I don't have a garage.

Charles Bruno
03-16-2006, 11:44 AM
That is strange? My shop only holds one car and two motorcycles. No room for my truck. I tried to expand it but my wife will not park her car or mc out side.:)

Frank Pellow
03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Since I built my shop building and removed all the construction material from the garage, I now have room for two cars. But, we only have one car so I have to do something about the waste space. So, this spring, I will gut the garage and build some wood storage racks.

Jim VanBramer
03-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Cars in the shop???:eek: I'm still trying to figure out how to get more TOOLS in there!!!:D

Steve Clardy
03-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I have a garage SPACE:rolleyes: in the end of my 16x64 addition, where I moved my mechanical tools, car and truch related stuff, to get it out of my woodshop.
Now I said have. It's usually filled with one of my sons cars, trucks.:(