PDA

View Full Version : WOOD mag bandsaw fence finished

Mike Schwing
08-09-2003, 3:38 PM
Turned out pretty nice. Very well done instructions - everything went perfectly, true, and tight. Now have a nice platform to work with and I'm sure I'll finally find my bandsaw useful. Lightly sanded and 2 coats of Bullseye Shellac on luaun plywood.

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/fence2.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/fence3.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~schwalden/fence1.JPG

Kent Cori
08-09-2003, 4:00 PM
Mike,

It looks just like the one in the magazine. You sure you didn't swipe theirs?

Seriously, you did a great job. What are the dimensions of the table?

Bob Lasley
08-09-2003, 5:03 PM
Looks good Mike! Another one of those shop projects I keep telling myself I'm going to do..............someday.

Bob

Todd Burch
08-09-2003, 5:09 PM
Mike, that looks pretty versatile. Good job. Whatcha gonna use it for first?

Mike Evertsen
08-09-2003, 6:40 PM
looks great,,,,,,,my band saw also mostly sat collecting saw dust for years tried to sell it a few times then I found a simple to make fence and put on a wide blade it is now used for resawing,,,,,,

Jim Becker
08-09-2003, 6:57 PM
Turned out pretty nice.

That would be a true statement! Great job, Mike. I've been considering building one of these myself and now it's not an option...in my copious free time, of course. :D

Bruce Page
08-09-2003, 7:20 PM
Mike, Pretty nice?? That's a great looking table. I have an oversize table on my BS and love it. You will be amazed at how often it comes in handy.

It’s the opinion of some that crops could be grown on the moon. Which raises the fear that it may not be long before we’re paying somebody not to. -- Franklin P. Jones

Mike Schwing
08-09-2003, 8:47 PM
Thanks guys. Kent, the table is approx 27" x 15", quite a substantial increase from the stock table. True, I lose 3/4" or resaw capability, but I hardly need the 12.5" I have currently - yet.

John Miliunas
08-09-2003, 8:57 PM
As my daughter's girlfriend would say, right about now: "Dude. That table rules!" Yeah, that and it's a super looking addition. And oh, BTW...You tryin' to take Terry H's "Cleanest shop of the Year" award away from him or what?! :D Between his surgically anticeptic floor and your ballroom floor...Sheeeesh! Think I'll go spend some time in my slummy shop now. :rolleyes: Seriously, very nice and useful as all get-out I'll bet! :cool:

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-10-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi Mike,

It looks outstanding, I like the large surface, the finish looks great too. The hardware seems to be simple enough as well, how long did it take you to build this?

Take care,
Jim

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
08-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi Mike,

It looks outstanding, I like the large surface, the finish looks great too. The hardware seems to be simple enough as well, how long did it take you to build this?

Take care,
Jim

Don Farr
08-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Looks great Mike. Mine is not that far along but I have a question for you. Did you use the top bearing pattern cutting bit that they recomended for trimming the inside edges of the slot?
That thing give me fits :( I cut chunks out of my straight edge and ended up with a wavy line.
Everything else is cut and ready to assemble. I ordered the hardware kit also, so that's all here and ready to go. I just have to decide if I am going to recut a new top.

Peter Kuhlman
08-11-2003, 10:12 AM
I plan on building this table as well. I was reading through some of my FWW magazines (don't remember the issue number but within the last year I think) and there was a very interesting artical on the factory tables that come on all the Delta clones. It says that the aluminum trunnions allow a lot of flex. I checked my Jet and found that applying slight pressure caused the table to sag outwards resulting in a angled cut. In the artical, they gave a detailed method of bracing and strengthening the trunnion/table and it sure looks like I need to do it with my Jet before mounting the Wood Mag table system.
Pete

Mike Schwing
08-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Looks great Mike. Mine is not that far along but I have a question for you. Did you use the top bearing pattern cutting bit that they recomended for trimming the inside edges of the slot?
That thing give me fits :( I cut chunks out of my straight edge and ended up with a wavy line.
Everything else is cut and ready to assemble. I ordered the hardware kit also, so that's all here and ready to go. I just have to decide if I am going to recut a new top.

Thanks Don. I didn't really like their method of routing out that rough cut, but went with it, sort of. I simply clamped a 1"x1" piece of straight maple to the line and used the pattern bit with the top bearing in the router table, performing the cut with the top of the table facing down on the router table. Worked fine.

I hand chiseled out the remaining cuts and squares, especially that enlarged part near the blade.