PDA

View Full Version : "Sawstop" in action at the Fine woodworking shop

Jim Davenport
03-15-2006, 5:29 PM
I subscribe to the "Fine woodworking E-Letter".
Here's an article about The "Sawstop" in action. some one ran a Miter guage into the blade. I thought the Sawstop only worked on flesh.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00188.asp

Barry O'Mahony
03-15-2006, 5:42 PM
It works on anything conductive. That's why you have to watch it with wet (green) lumber as well.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-15-2006, 6:37 PM
There is an electrical delta between the operator and the part of the machine (trunnion and blade) that is rigged to detect the delta. It's a capacatance I believe. Any way when the thing sees that delta it stops. It saw that delta as the operator was holding the metal mitre guage.

Reminds me of fly by wire in light planes.

Alan Turner
03-16-2006, 7:37 AM
My understanding is not electrical, but based upon SS's literature. If metal touches the blade and the saw table at the same time, then the stop will fire. There is a bypass on the stopping mechanism which is to be used when cutting things like foil backed insulation.

I will be interested to see the promised article on the TS review. Wonder if the new PM with riving knife was included in the review.

Bill Simmeth
03-16-2006, 8:06 AM
I like the way they blamed the mishap on a "junior staff member". :rolleyes: The apprentice always gets the blame. :D

Mark Singer
03-16-2006, 9:05 AM
I like the way they blamed the mishap on a "junior staff member". :rolleyes: The apprentice always gets the blame. :D

That is true in my shop as well (even though I work by myself) all my ill fitting joinery was done by the apprentice:confused:

John Miliunas
03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
That is true in my shop as well (even though I work by myself) all my ill fitting joinery was done by the apprentice:confused:

Hey, now wait a minute...I haven't been in that shop for months!!!! :eek: Hrrrrrrmph...Bet I'm still getting blamed for those joints!!! :D :cool: