PDA

View Full Version : Slipping into the "Vortex"

Jim Davenport
03-15-2006, 5:14 PM
OOOOPS. I stood too close to the edge, and am slipping into the vortex, looks like no escape;) .
I've been inspired by the beautiful work you guys do. I broke out the Venerable shopsmith, Bought a bowl gouge on sale at Woodcraft, and have a Talon chuck on order. in the mean time I scrounged through the Magic Garage, and found some pine, and oak scraps. Ive been doing little spindles, beads and cove pratice. I decided to get brave and try a bowl. found the shopsmith faceplates. Glued up some oak, and some pine. screwed it to a face plate and went to town. I bought Richard Raffan's woodturning, bowl turning books, and his wood turning video.
After some studying, I jumped in. The Bowl gouge definitely has a learning curve. I ended up doing most of the shaping with a round nose scraper. Raffan has that really down pat. I'd cut for a few minutes, then back to the "Tormek" to freshen the edge. Sure could tell when the edge started to wear. Wow I have a long ways to go.:eek:
But here's the finished product, such as it is. It started out to be a "Classic bowl. But after a bunch of catches with the bowl gouge, it turned into kinda a platter. Sanded to 320, finished with wax, asper Richard Raffan
Here's some photo's for the "Photo police".

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 5:21 PM
Another one bits the sawdust...lol

Great start and welcome to the dark side....:)

Cecil Arnold
03-15-2006, 5:27 PM
All Right Jim--another one bites the dust. Nice looking bowl. We all have those mid-project redesigns, some will admit it more than others.

Chris Barton
03-15-2006, 5:42 PM
Good looking project Jim! Welcome to the dark side.

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 6:03 PM
He shoots! He scores!

Well done, Jim.

Bob Noles
03-15-2006, 7:18 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the vortx :D It is hopless to try to excape so don't waste your time.

For a first bowl that sure is a nice job. You sure you aren't pulling our leg about it being your first? :rolleyes:

Great job!

Travis Stinson
03-15-2006, 7:27 PM
Great start Jim! Oh yea, there's no "slipping" into the vortex, it's a headfirst freefall.;)

John Hart
03-15-2006, 7:34 PM
Wow!!!! What a bowl! Welcome to the black hole big time Jim!! Nicely done.:)

Jim Becker
03-15-2006, 7:47 PM
Very nice, Jim. It really shimmers!

Relative to the bowl gouge...it's a hard tool to use on such a flat bottomed form...the scraper is the right tool to clean things up in this case, IMHO. As you turn some deeper forms with continuous curves, you'll find that the gouge will get more comfortable.

Mike Ramsey
03-15-2006, 8:34 PM
Good job Jim! You'll get more rounded bottoms after you get all that flat
work out of your brain!

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2006, 9:03 PM
Great job Jim. Bowl looks fantastic. Great work.

Keith Burns
03-15-2006, 9:42 PM
Great first bowl Jim.:) Really:) I can see by the job you did on this one that you are definately hooked so you might as well empty you wallet now:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-15-2006, 9:46 PM
Welcome to the abyss Jim! Nice first bowl/platter! I wish I had the courage to turn such an animal! Not quite ready for that yet....

Ernie Nyvall
03-15-2006, 9:57 PM
... some will admit it more than others.

I know exactly what you mean Cecil and if I were to ever have a redesign, I'd certainly admit it.;) :D

Welcome Jim... you're certainly off to a great start with that. Nice finish too. You're doooooooomed.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
You can Spin that thing around on your finger. Lookin' Good, Jim. Welcome to the vortex.

Bruce

doug webb
03-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Redesign or no, that is nice work. The vortex must be fed......Tell your friends.........give them a nudge.......

Dick Parr
03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Thats a great looking bowl Jim.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Wow Jim, I'm excited for you! This is really great and you have plenty of chips, something mine is lacking right now. Looks like I'll be just a step behind you now, so don't stop suddenly!:p

John Miliunas
03-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Way to go, Jim!!! You're off to a wonderful start. Heck, I wish my first one looked anywhere near that nice!!! :) :cool: