PDA

View Full Version : This one is for you - John Hart

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 5:10 PM
John - You absitively have to check this out (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32985). You could learn a lot and your daughters will love you all that much more for it.

tod evans
03-15-2006, 5:21 PM
getum andy:)

John Hart
03-15-2006, 7:32 PM
Gangin' up on me again eh? :rolleyes: Well, I gots some news for ya. We went out to the new house over the weekend and our new neigh neigh neighbors have 12 horses...4 Clydesdales included. Some are for working, some are for the buggies and some are for the kids. We have been welcomed to ride and enjoy anytime. So....As long as I don't have to feed 'em.....it's fine with me!!:)

Jim Becker
03-15-2006, 7:45 PM
Now, that sounds like a great situation, John...none of the problems of ownership, but still the potential that the girls might get put to work helping to care for the one(s) they happen to get to ride! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2006, 9:13 PM
Sounds like a plan to me John.:D

Keith Burns
03-15-2006, 9:53 PM
Hi Ho Silver...away..............

Curt Fuller
03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
So....As long as I don't have to feed 'em.....it's fine with me!!:)

If it only stopped at feeding them. If you think cleaning up shavings gets old....at least shavings don't attract flies!

Ernie Nyvall
03-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Now, that sounds like a great situation, John...none of the problems of ownership, but still the potential that the girls might get put to work helping to care for the one(s) they happen to get to ride! ;)

This is exactly right... it sure as heck worked on me. Neighbors had horses I could ride and I got to get up before school, go in after school, clean up on the weekends. I hardly got to ride for all the work. It took a while, but I finally said no "NO MORE". It was about that time my parents asked me if I still wanted a horse and I said "no... I like wood shop now. Could use a tablesaw and a jointer though."

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 10:43 PM
No worries gents. I'm gonna have a talk with those bothersome neighbors. Rachel and Elise need their own hosses - right!?

Michael Stafford
03-16-2006, 5:58 AM
No worries gents. I'm gonna have a talk with those bothersome neighbors. Rachel and Elise need their own hosses - right!?

Yep, where's Black Beauty and Flicka when you need them?:p :D

John Hart
03-16-2006, 6:29 AM
We just watched "My Friend Flicka" on Sunday night. I had never seen it. I didn't realize that Roddy McDowell started so young. The girls were glued to it. I'm going to lose this battle, aren't I?

Well...that's one way to escape the vortex ain't it?;)

tod evans
03-16-2006, 6:39 AM
We just watched "My Friend Flicka" on Sunday night. I had never seen it. I didn't realize that Roddy McDowell started so young. The girls were glued to it. I'm going to lose this battle, aren't I?

Well...that's one way to escape the vortex ain't it?;)

john, it sounds as if the reality of teenage girls is kicking you in the teeth?:) the up side is that for a while at least horses will have their affection instead of teenage boys.....02 tod

Andy Hoyt
03-16-2006, 7:57 AM
... I'm going to lose this battle, aren't I?.......

Yup.

Hey Tod, Ya think he's realized that to do this properly, it will be two horses, not just one?

Keith Burns
03-16-2006, 8:36 AM
I'm going to lose this battle, aren't I?

John, you lost this battle before it even bagan:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 8:49 AM
John.....having teenaged daughters is kinda like having a lathe sent to you..........there's no end of the time and money you can invest!:D :rolleyes: ........Ask how I know this!;) :rolleyes:

John Miliunas
03-16-2006, 9:12 AM
Gangin' up on me again eh? :rolleyes: Well, I gots some news for ya. We went out to the new house over the weekend and our new neigh neigh neighbors have 12 horses...4 Clydesdales included. Some are for working, some are for the buggies and some are for the kids. We have been welcomed to ride and enjoy anytime. So....As long as I don't have to feed 'em.....it's fine with me!!:)

Hah! That's even worse!!!! :eek: Like the others have said, the girls will ride and end up wanting to help take care of them in return but, they will soon realize, "Hey, why should we take care of their horses when we could be taking care of our very own???!!!" :D You may as well start waving that white flag right now, John Hart!!! You're done! :eek: :D :cool:

John Hart
03-16-2006, 9:21 AM
Yep....I guess the Stable will just have to remain a Stable. No Bed&Breakfast for visiting Turners. The pasture will just have to remain a pasture. No fruit trees, no turning wood. I'll just have to redirect my tool budget to vet bills, grain, hay, straw, shovels, boots, fence mending, halters, saddles, curry combs, insecticide, carrots, horse trailer, horseshoes.
Yup...this is doable. Thanks guys! :)

Jim Becker
03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
John.....having teenaged daughters is kinda like having a lathe sent to you..........there's no end of the time and money you can invest!

They don't even need to be teens...DAMHIKT!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
They don't even need to be teens...DAMHIKT!

Quit your whining Dad!...........Someday all too quickly they'll be young adults....You'll wonder where the time went......and you'll burst with pride as they take their place among young responsible adults! There may be moments when you can't see it.......but it'll happen!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
John......in all sincerety........2 horses like 2 dogs may be easier to take board! I've known a number of dogs and horses that created a tremendous problem when they were by themselves and settled down to become great animials when in the company of another animal. The trick with horses and the mules I've packed is to get them to work alone also. You don't want a horse or mule to be "herd bound"! Good luck with what ever you do......I'll quit riding your back now!

Daddy......we each want a horsey!

:D

John Hart
03-16-2006, 11:26 AM
......I'll quit riding your back now!

Daddy......we each want a horsey!

:D

Thanks Ken. Don't think I don't appreciate it!!;) :D

Barry Stratton
03-16-2006, 11:43 AM
And just think, if the winter is long, snowy, cold and the job goes away, that lathe and turnings won't make soup or roasts or steak or burger to feed the family:eek:

I'm with you on this one John as I will be in a similar situation next summer.......resist, resist.........

Charles McKinley
03-16-2006, 3:10 PM
If you have one you might as well have four. It doesn't take any longer in the barn EVERY DAY! :D

How does the response "Get a job and pay for it." sound John?

I have already informed my dad if he gets the girls a horse he gets to keep it at his place.

In closeing the words of John Wayne, "You're hearding the dumbest animal on earth on the back of the second dumbest animal..."

Good luck with the resistance!

Andy Hoyt
03-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, I finally got through to the neigh neigh neighbors and it turns out that they were most helpful. They put me onto this website (http://www.ohek.co.uk/local/hullglossary.htm) (just scroll down to bonk...) which - if I'm not mistaken - will refute any chance for Mr. Hart to supplant turning with equine maintenance activities.

One and the same friends! Back in the pre-horseless carriage days Bonket Men were in fact liverymen who practiced the time honored tradtition of Bonketry. So if we bring this forward to our current age of wish-we-were-still-in-the-pre-horseless carriage days (thank you, Jeremiah Johnson) one can extrapolate that turning as we know it is still bonking and bonking has everything to do with all those warm furry and snuggly beasties we call horsies.

And John - what better way to live in the past than to giddy-up from time to time.

Yo Rachel! Hey Elise! Git 'er done.

Jim Dunn
03-18-2006, 6:32 PM
Here horsey horsey horsey.:)