PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Nova Service center

Donald Johnson
03-15-2006, 4:56 PM
Need help with my Supernova2 Chuck. Got a new lathe, new insert and the chuck wobbles! Does anyone have a phone number for Tim Guist at a Nova Service Center in West Virginia. I also might add that I had a Jet 1440 lathe with this chuck, replace the inserts twice. The second insert worked better than the original, but it still wobbled. I gave up and decided that the Jet lathe was the problem, it never really ran smooth. The new lathe Powermatic 3520B, runs very smooth, the face plate runs smooth, turning spindles between centers is a dream, but the original chuck still wobbles. I took the jaws off, cleaned everything, put it back together with no help. Thanks in advance for your help--Donj

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-15-2006, 5:25 PM
Donald,

Don't have Tim's number handy but I did have a similar problem with mine. I ended up removing the insert and cleaning everything real good, then re-inserting the insert until it was bottomed out. I then made sure the seat on the headstock for the lathe was nice and clean and re-installed the chuck. I am sure you already know this, but the chuck HAS to seat against the flat part on the headstock bearing. That is what takes the play out of the threads.

I was sure mine was defective and ended up doing all this with a little more care than the first time and it runs very true. The first time I was so anxious to get started with it that I did not do everything carefully. Try that and see what results you get.

At the time I did contact Tim and that is what he told me to do. He said that defective inserts are very rare and most of the time the runout is caused by operator error.

Dick Parr
03-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Here ya go.

Phone Tim Geist on
(304) 295-8166 EST
or email to
Tvgeistmfg@aol.com