PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Workshop with Pics

Ben Roman
03-15-2006, 4:23 PM
Hello Creekers,

I am on a posting roll. Here are some pics of my up and coming workshop. I currently occupy 2 of the 3 car garage. My wife occupies middle car garage part time.:o The TS3650 table saw has been retrofitted with a Mulecab Router table insert. I have a triton router mounted in the table that will allow above table bit changes. Grizzly Supplies the dust collection and I did the pipes myself, and yes it is grounded. I used some old IKEA furniture I had in our old house for the shop rather than tossing them in the trash. As you can see I am addicted to Grizzly. I am considering buying the Big Grizzly Woodworking bench that just came out in the new catalog and replacing the little import I have next to the saw. I just received the Shop Fox Mortising Machine and I am in the process of setting it up next to the Drill press. Got it via (You Guessed it ) Grizzly. I got the Bosch Miter saw Via Toolking.com and I love it. Jointer, Planer, and Drum Sander Via Grizzly.
I decided not to clean up before snapping these photos. Ok bring on the comments, Suggestions, and Creek Chat.
<O:p

Ben :cool:

Ben Roman
03-15-2006, 4:25 PM
More Pics on the Way

Ben Roman
03-15-2006, 4:27 PM
Here are the Last of Them

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 4:27 PM
I currently occupy 2 of the 3 car garage. My wife occupies middle car garage part time.:o Ben :cool:
Well the first thing I'd do is move the wife to one side or the other. Can't comment on the rest of the shop since all we got to see was the TS/router setup...;)

Opps sorry about that I guess I shouldn't be to quick on the trigger....

Jim Hager
03-15-2006, 4:29 PM
You have got a really good start for a newbie:D Looks to me like you have been at it for a while now. I didn't have tools like that when I considered myself a newbie. That would be back 30 years ago when I was remodeling a house with a black and decker skill saw mounted underneath a sheet of plywood for a table saw. I think my tool list then would fit in the floorboard of the old 64 gmc that I drove back and forth to the job.

Nice stuff you have set up there, keep up the good work. Half the fun or maybe 2/3 of the fun is buying tools. The one who dies with the most tools wins.:rolleyes:

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 4:33 PM
shop looks good but I did notice the absence of a bands saw and a lathe...:(

Tim Armstrong
03-15-2006, 4:36 PM
Ben - looks like one heck of a nice start. If this is a newbie shop, I'm in trouble. My newbie tools are a little underwhelming by comparison. Hey, maybe it's an Ikea piece but that Miter saw stand looks like it belongs in the dining room not the shop. Anyway, looks like a great set up and good work posting all those pics. Always fun to see other people's shops.

John Lucas
03-15-2006, 4:48 PM
Ben,
What anice shop that is. But why is wife going to use the center bay? NO, i dont mean she should have either side, I mean you NEED a 3 car garage. You can get her a cloth cover to protect her car from the elements. She will appreicate that.

Bob Noles
03-15-2006, 4:53 PM
Ben,

From the looks of things, I'd say you are loaded for bear (pardon the pun) :p

Great looking set up so far and plenty of room to grow.

Thanks for the pics.

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 4:53 PM
John;
your a funney man. The new house were having built will have a three car garage since LOML insist that the next house we have she WILL park her car in a garage and since I get the last word ("Yes Dear") were gonna have a 3 car garage.

Ben Roman
03-15-2006, 5:00 PM
No lathe Bandsaw is in there !!

John Hedges
03-15-2006, 5:30 PM
Ben,

Real nice assortment of tools. Just a couple of notes though. That TS orange really clashes with the Grizzly green, I'm amazed you dont have a 1023 in there yet. I am assuming all the green grizzly tools banished it to the other side of the shop by itself.:D:D (sorry couldn't resist that one).

One thing that looks like it would help would be more solid ductwork in larger than 4", I would imagine you are losing a lot of your DC's potential with the long runs of 4" flex, as well as the 90 degree bends (especially at the DC inlet).

One last note. Where's the wood, didn't see a lumber rack in there yet. I am guessing that is next. It might be good to plan it to go in a place close to the CMS and then group the TS/Jointer and Planer close by and close together to avoid all that walkin around during wood prep.

Some real nice equipment in there, can't wait to see the projects.

Scott Vigder
03-15-2006, 5:40 PM
Dust! I don't see any dust or dirt! Let's get building!

Brent Harral
03-15-2006, 5:40 PM
You are cheating BIG TIME for a "newbie" shop :D Like Boney said, he had to cut plywood with a coping saw back in 61' (heheh) when he started out :eek: So how do you like that Bosch SCMS? I heard the good, bad and the ugly on that one and was wondering how you like...

Brent Harral
03-15-2006, 5:44 PM
Oops, I meant Jim Hager (aka Bony) old habits...sorry!

T.J. Mahaffey
03-15-2006, 5:48 PM
Woohoo! I love new workshop pictures!

Man, you've got quite an extensive setup there. I agree with the others: you're no newbie. ;)

Thanks for posting the pictures. Those are my favorite pictures to see.
My second favorite being shop jigs. "Real" projects follow a distant third. :o:D

Jeremy Chisholm
03-15-2006, 6:05 PM
Nice shop! Way ahead of my starter shop (TS, CMS, and Router table)!

The Bosch is great- front bevel lock, excellent flip-stop system, very accurate- and easy to adjust (not that I've had to since initial set-up). Best miter saw I've used, worth every one of its (many) pounds.

Tyler Howell
03-15-2006, 8:26 PM
You've grizzlie situation going there!!:cool:
Nice set up. Nice looking building too. Can we see the house:o

Brian Parker
03-15-2006, 8:30 PM
Nice place there... don't post too many pics or you might have some visitors ;) hehe.

Guys FWIW there is a bandsaw! Look at the second of his 3 posts, The third picture shows a grizzly BS in the background

Julio Navarro
03-15-2006, 8:39 PM
I like the CMS table, very classy, a WW with style?

I like the set up, plenty of more room for more big tools!

Julio Navarro
03-15-2006, 8:42 PM
Wait!! Did he say newbie? is that a drum sander, planer and jointer??

Joe Chritz
03-15-2006, 8:46 PM
Looks good lots better then my starter.

Solid ridgid tube would help the DC a lot. Lots of people use PVC but I like the 26 gauge metal. Goes together easy is light weight and easy to change.

If you search my posts you can see an easy mod to make the DC of the tablesaw a lot better and still keep the mobile base.

Joe

Bob Aquino
03-15-2006, 9:50 PM
Ben
Very nice selection of tools. And having two out of three stalls for all of em is sweet. But I agree, you should probably move the car stall to one end and keep all the equipment in two adjacent stalls. You can still utilize the extra stall for breakout work like assembling large cabinets when you need to.

But honestly, I dont care for all the hoses lying on the floor. Not only will they kill your air flow, but they are a trip hazard. Are you happy with the layout? Is it condusive to working on projects or are you always moving machines around to get things done. Even with equipment on wheels, its still a bit of a pain if you are always positioning them when you need them.

I have seen layouts where machines are grouped together, say a tablesaw and jointer and the ductwork and power come down from the ceiling. You can create "islands" of tools and minimize or eliminate any ductwork or electrical lines on the floor. I think even with two of the three stalls you should have a good amount of room (definately more than I do) to organize them in a manner that works for you.

Ben Roman
03-15-2006, 9:52 PM
I love my Bosch SCMS... It is one of the best tools I have bought !!

Ben Roman
03-15-2006, 9:53 PM
You are right With the Ridgid Orange and the Green !!!!

Jerry Olexa
03-15-2006, 9:58 PM
You're beyond "newbie" status. Looks good!

Jason Tuinstra
03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Ben, first of all, welcome. I guess I missed your first post. Glad to see you're feeling at home at SMC and that you've read the unwritten rule about pics ;) We kind of like em'.

Second, very nice shop. Well rounded assortment of tools. You can do some serious woodworking with those babies! Good for you.

John Miliunas
03-16-2006, 12:08 AM
"Newbie" my foot!!! You're set for bear in that shop, Ben! :) Oh yeah...Guess that's why there's all that Grizzly in there! :D Nice shop, indeed! :) :cool:

Ben Roman
03-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Just cause I can shop doesn't mean I can use it all yet !!!! Set for Bear but hunting with a slingshot.

Ben

Jerry White
03-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Ben, that is a shop to make any of us wannabees envious. You have purchased and setup wisely. I see one item that is absolutely required for our area of the country.....that is the window air conditioner. I plan to install one this spring.

By the way, I saw your other post with the really nice walnut table. Its clear you are using those machines, too.:D

Jerry

Bryan Somers
03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
You guys are killing me. Nubie with a setup like that!!! All I have is an old TS with a piece of junk fence, a CMS, a router with 1 bit, And a few cheep hand tools to go along.

Welcome to the creek Ben. There are some good people here and I am slowly learning from them.

That is a nice setup youve shown.

Ben Roman
03-16-2006, 1:18 PM
You bet !! Anytime your in Georgetown Texas stop on by. The AC Unit makes such a difference in the temp of the garage. It takes a while but works fine. Thanks for the complements on the table !!

Pete Harbin
03-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Nice setup Ben! Welcome to the creek!

Pete

Mark Pruitt
03-17-2006, 8:37 AM
A Newbie Shop???? My first "shop" was the sidewalk in front of my apartment, and my tool arsenal consisted of a skilsaw and a drill! :eek: Thank God those days are long gone. My dream shop would be a three car garage with a divider wall separating one bay from the other two. I'm with the others in suggesting that your wife take one of the end bays. Over time you'll quickly see the value in not having to walk that extra distance to and from the TS/RT. Have Fun!!!
Mark