PDA

View Full Version : Solid panel vs. floating panel for baby cradle

Andy Fox
03-15-2006, 2:41 PM
I'm planning to build a baby cradle, and I'm using this plan as a starting point: http://www.furnitureplans.com/pi_products/1401. The plan details floating panel construction, but I'm thinking of using solid 3/4" cherry panels with the grain running vertical for the head and foot of the cradle. The bottom of the cradle will be 36" x 18" x 1/2" plywood floating on solid wood edge supports screwed to side of side rails.

The main body of the solid panels will be about 20" wide x 15" high. The plans show the end grain of the side rails joined to the head/foot panels with screws only :(, but I plan to use a wedged motise and tenon instead. Using the Wood Movement Calculator program, I calculated the potential tangential movement (over 20" dimension) to be 0.8". (Using current shop conditions of 62 deg. F, 50% RH to storage conditions of 100 deg F, 98% RH.)

Questions:
1. As long as I allow enough support to keep the bottom from falling out at max expansion, the panels will expand equally, the side rails should move along with the panels, and I won't have any wood movement problems, right? :confused: The side rails are 5 degrees out from vertical.

2. There will be about 1" wide x 1" total thickness (two pieces) of vertical grain supporting the cradle at the hang points. Is this enough to prevent the cherry from splitting? Do I maybe need the extra support piece (between cradle end panel and post leg, "plant") to be oriented so that it supports across the grain?

3. The wedged mortise and tenon will be small, about 3/8" wide x 2" high x 3/4" deep (through end panel). Is this too small or does it exceed the practical limits of a wedged m&t joint in some way?

Michael Adelong
03-15-2006, 5:28 PM
Hehe... Questions 2 & 3 made me laugh Andy.

Sure... it's going to be carrying precious cargo...

But... it's a baby, not a Buick. :D Somewhere between 6 and say 25 pounds or so before it'll be too big for the cradle.

I think the wood will hold. :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist busting your chops, :p
Mike

Andy Fox
03-15-2006, 6:07 PM
Thanks Mike! :p

I do tend to overengineer a bit. In question 2, I was picturing the scenario of big 4 year old sister climbing in to reminisce of her younger years. And hopefully generations of this as it's passed down. And then there's the usual abuse by movers and holding thoughtlessly stacked item while in inevitable storage/furniture torture chamber. :D

Question 3 is concerned more with just making the joint itself, such as the thickness of the tenon wedges.