PDA

View Full Version : Got Jumbo Jaws------Just LOVE um.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2006, 2:35 PM
This morning, I put together a set of jumbo jaws with my talon chuck. Bottoms have always been a little problem for me. These are GREAT. :D

Used them to flatten the bottom, turned the piece over and finished off the inside of this bowl.

Walnut...............6-3/4" diameter by 1-1/2" tall. The usual sanded to 4000 with final 14000/oil lub, then 6 coats - friction, hand applied - on the lathe of French polish and a final wipe with Briwax. Could have closed up the grain, but I like it this way.

As always, comments welcomed. Still looking for better end products.

Bruce;)

Jim Davenport
03-15-2006, 2:50 PM
Wow good looking bowl.
I'm teetering on the edge of the dreaded "Vortex". I Just ordered a Talon from Oneway last Friday. Right now I'm using a faceplate, working on a little platter, that started out as a bowl. Hopefully if I don't mess it up too bad, some photo's will follow.
Bruce, Would you please show some photo's of the Jumbo jaws. When I get my mad money account built back up. they're probably next. Although I've been drooling on a Jet 16X42EVS to replace my venerable Shopsmith at my local Woodcraft store.:rolleyes:

Spence DePauw
03-15-2006, 3:18 PM
I'll bet I see that one tonite, Bruce.

Spence

Rich Stewart
03-15-2006, 3:27 PM
Nice Bruce. Yeah, it's great having them jumbo jaws. Can do lots of stuff you couldn't before. Great bowl. The finish is awesome!

Paul Downes
03-15-2006, 4:37 PM
I've got to sell a few bowls and pens. After I get a good chuck, I will be getting a set 'O them jaws. I've never been satisfied with my bowl bottoms and have reconsiled myself with the idea that the bottoms are usually hidden. I have this mental image of sales lost when the potential costomer flips the bowl over..........

Keith Burns
03-15-2006, 4:54 PM
Great bowl Bruce and a fantistic finish. :) Cole jaws are a wonderful addition to anyons arsenal. Be careful though, a vacuum chuck won't be far behindl :eek: :D

Corey Hallagan
03-15-2006, 8:29 PM
Great looking bowl Bruce, the finish is awesome!
Corey

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2006, 9:09 PM
Bruce you did that one justice. Looks awesome. I use a donut chuck for my bowls. Made several sizes. They work pretty good and cheap.

Ed Scolforo
03-15-2006, 9:09 PM
Bruce, That looks SMOOOOOOTH !!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2006, 10:20 PM
OOPS..................................I didn't show the BOTTOM! Dumb.........!:o

Here you go! Two little dings, but I like it anyway!

Bruce;)

Ernie Nyvall
03-15-2006, 10:48 PM
OOPS..................................I didn't show the BOTTOM!

I'm not going to say "Nice bottom Bruce",:rolleyes: but you done good on the underside. Looks good all over really. Nice one.

Ernie

Spence DePauw
03-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I was right, I saw it tonite, and it's even better in person...

Spence

John Hart
03-16-2006, 7:11 AM
Way to go Bruce! I have my homemade jumbo setup and it works pretty well...but I'm leaning heavily toward buying a chuck and jumbo jaws right now.

Jim Dunn
03-16-2006, 7:52 AM
Nice to see a pretty bottom on here. Looking good Bruce.

Michael Stafford
03-16-2006, 11:46 AM
"Got Jumbo Jaws-------Just LOVE um"

"Bottoms have always been a little problem for me. :D "

"Still looking for better end products."

Bruce;)

Bruce, with comments like these you are making it too easy. But this time I will just let it pass. I will not say a word. But it is very tempting.....:p :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-16-2006, 4:16 PM
Mike..................You are devious, ..................................and you have way tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much time on your hands!

Bruce

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-24-2006, 1:02 AM
Sorry......................... Old Age. Here's the picture of my JUMBO JAWS that you asked to see. Shouldn't have taken this long to post it.:o

Bruce:rolleyes:

Jim Davenport
03-24-2006, 7:01 AM
Sorry......................... Old Age. Here's the picture of my JUMBO JAWS that you asked to see. Shouldn't have taken this long to post it.:o

Bruce:rolleyes:
Thank you so much Bruce. I was curious how they looked mounted. They are on my list of stuff to get.
How do you like that Rikon lathe so far? I was looking at one at my local Woodcraft store. It seemed to be well made. It had a lot of features, I liked better than the Jet.

Don Baer
03-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Thank you so much Bruce. I was curious how they looked mounted. They are on my list of stuff to get.
How do you like that Rikon lathe so far? I was looking at one at my local Woodcraft store. It seemed to be well made. It had a lot of features, I liked better than the Jet.

Jim I too am looking at the Rikon. I asked the same question in this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33498
If everything goes right I'll pick one up on monday.

Bruce thanks for posting this. another thing to ad to my short list..Oh well it's only money...

George Conklin
03-24-2006, 7:05 PM
Nicely done, Bruce. That's a beautiful pice of wood. Walnuts one of my favorites. Nicely done.

George

Christopher K. Hartley
03-24-2006, 9:51 PM
Bruce, I think you laid another Golden Egg. I really like it!

Chris DiCiaccio
03-24-2006, 9:56 PM
I also have these jaws and was wondering, do you always use all eight bumpers on bowls? I've only been using four.

Robert Mickley
03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
the wife says I eat like I got jumbo jaws :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-24-2006, 10:38 PM
In answer to the eight vs four question, I will probably use eight from now on. Had a BEAUTIFUL Spalted Walnut "Rice Bowl" (6-1/2" dia by 3-1/2 high) Turned down to 3/16" walls, just the RIGHT curve, inside and outside totally finished.

Just had to turn off the tennon and it would be ready to Give to a benefit auction Monday. Used four. As I was parting the tennon off, got an odd sound. It was the side walls flexing. They flexed so much that the piece flew across the room and ended up in six or seven pieces. I was definitely ticked off........................and I cleaned THAT up.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bruce

Scott Donley
03-25-2006, 1:17 PM
Bruce, a really greaaaat looking bowl ! Maybe in my dreams I will be able to do that someday. Thanks for showing what can be done.