PDA

View Full Version : My Workbench Design

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 1:07 PM
OK, this is my design, but it was based on a bunch of other designs that I've seen and I tool all the features that I liked and added them into one. I left out the vices, because I am still not sure of which ones I will use.

When I finally build this thing, I will do one of those project threads on the General Woodworking page, but it will be a while before I actually get to that point, due to lack of shop space.

The bench is actually designed to the exact dimensions, so it looks how it will look, unless I change something in the future.

The top will be 8'x30"x3". The skirt will be 6" wide to hide the 3" gap between the top and the cabinet. I have it designed so that the vices I put on it will be able to fit without running into anything or getting in the way of anything.

My only problem is that I cant decide on which wood to use for the skirt. I originally planned on the tzalam to be the skirt, but then I checked it out with maple and kinda liked it better, so now I am stuck.

I have a few pictures of some other angles if anybody is interested. Just let me know and I will post them

EDIT: Sorry the files are too big, I will upload them to photobucket and post them in a second

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 1:22 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchWithCabinetStyle1Comp1.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchWithCabinetStyle1Comp2.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchWithCabinetStyle1P2.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchWithCabinetStyle2P2.jpg

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 1:41 PM
Anyway, I just want peoples opinion on which they think looks better.

Oh and if anybody can tell me how I can resize those pics I would appreciate it.

Dave Richards
03-15-2006, 1:45 PM
Very nice Allen.

I think I'd like the draker color for the skirt if the grain were running horizontally.

Out of curiosity, what did you use for the wood grain material? It almost looks like watercolor or maybe marker strokes done by hand. Is it a texture you could share?

John Miliunas
03-15-2006, 1:50 PM
Lookin' good, Allen! :) The Maple decision would be easy for me, as I really like the species to begin with plus, it's nice and stable. BUT, here's something I'd consider: Don't use an apron at all!!! It's amazing how often I use other clamps, in addition to the vise clamps and bench dogs. Putting that apron on would make that function difficult, if not totally undo-able. Instead of the apron, why not be sure to give yourself 3, 4 or even 5" of space for an open shelf there? That's what I opted to do on mine when I built it instead of the more traditional tool trough on the back. It's real handy to put mallets, clamps, extra bench dogs, etc... on it. Just my $00.02.... :) :cool:

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 1:51 PM
Dave, I just used real pics of wood. As for the skirt, I had used a pic of a Tzalam floor, thats why the grain is like that. If you want the pics I can send them to you, but you could also just google any wood pics and import them to your library.

Dave Richards
03-15-2006, 2:07 PM
I'll give Google a try for that image. I know about adding textures--must have a bunch. At that scale and picture size, that texture looks kind of sketchy which I like.

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 2:19 PM
Hey Dave,

Here are some links to some Tzalam wood. The first one is the one I used

http://www.goldenstateflooring.com/flooring.php/terra/0/219/tzalam_large.jpg

http://www.holz-bearbeitung.de/Holzmuster-Dateien/T/tzalam.jpg

http://www.jatobaflooring.com/images/engineered/tzalam-caribbean-walnut.jpg

Dave Richards
03-15-2006, 2:24 PM
Thanks, Allen. those are great.

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 2:45 PM
No problem Dave.

To John, The reason why I opted for the skirt, is because I cant stand the sight of the gap and I am one of those people, that if I dont like the way something looks, I will stare at it until the point of insanity.

So while some might look at this as me going with looks at the cost of functionality. I look at it as sanity at the cost of functionality. I like being sane.

Bruce Page
03-15-2006, 2:46 PM
Allen, if you are talking pure aesthetics, I like the darker wood (tzalam?)

Either way, that's going to be a beauty!

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 2:50 PM
Thanks Bruce,

Just so everybody knows, Tzalam is a Caribbean walnut. It is my favorite wood that is available to me at the local lumber... place

John Miliunas
03-15-2006, 3:01 PM
So while some might look at this as me going with looks at the cost of functionality. I look at it as sanity at the cost of functionality. I like being sane.

LOL! Well, Allen, that is, after all, why many of us do this whole WW thing to begin with (helping to keep our sanity! :D ) so, more power to you, my friend! Looks like it will be a kick-butt bench either way! :) :cool:

tod evans
03-15-2006, 3:10 PM
allen, i like the dark too. only modification i`d make is to extend the top lengthwise over the legs somewhat. you`ll gain function by being able to clamp to the top and i don`t think it would affect the asthetics...02 tod

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 3:19 PM
Tod, the gap between the legs and the inside of the skirt is 1 1/4", how much do you think i should stretch it out? another inch or 2?

tod evans
03-15-2006, 3:31 PM
allen, since you`re doing this on a computer play around. try everything from 8" down and see what you like the looks of.... or post pics for us computer morons and i`m sure you`ll get lots of input:) . .02 tod

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 3:38 PM
Ok, I'll make up some different configurations with the top and post som new pics. Be right back.

Jim Becker
03-15-2006, 3:58 PM
I like the maple skirting, especially if you build the bench traditionally with dovetails in the corners, etc.

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 4:05 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchBigTop.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchBigTop3.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/MGS4pics/Workbench/WorkbenchBigTop2.jpg

Ok, I added 3" all around, so that gives is a 4.25" gap. Also the bench is about 44" high (Im really tall). I took a picture of the underside as well so you guys can see more of the inner workings.

Anyway, like I said before, when I do make this bench I will post a construction thread on the general woodworking page for anybody intersted. Since this is not something that I plan on selling I dont mind giving anybody the plans that I will make from this design either, if anybody wants them.

Anything that I build for my shop I will post on the SMC and do a construction thread, but the designs that I plan on using to make money, I will not post in public, at least until I am already selling them through my store and online.

Right now I only have 5 minutes left on my SketchUp free trial, so I this is the last modification I can make until I am ready to do another complete design.

Frank Chaffee
03-15-2006, 4:35 PM
Allen,
I complement you on your use of the SketchUp program. Your use of the shadowing and texturing tools it affords definitely enhances and clarifies your very balanced bench design.

The five vertical divisions and the progressive drawer heights are well considered and very appealing to the eye (mine, at least).

John Miliunas and tod evans have each made suggestions regarding the functionality of the bench that, perhaps, if combined, could maintain the balanced proportions of the storage areas below, and also increase your clamping and “at-hand” storage capabilities.

But first, please allow this digression:
To John, The reason why I opted for the skirt, is because I cant stand the sight of the gap…
So this may be my personal guiding aesthetic, but I have always preferred the gap to the skirt in situations like this. A space between the benchtop and the storage area, as John Miliunas suggests, will not only serve as ready-storage for tools, but also allow the use of clamping cauls around your flat benchtop and a part being glued.

If you combine this space (gap), with tod’s suggestion to set the legs further in from each end, thereby providing for more clamping area there, you may be able to approximately maintain the graceful proportions you have given to the drawers and doors beneath the bench.

Allan, your design looks wonderful, and I look forward to seeing its development.

Frank

tod evans
03-15-2006, 4:39 PM
allen, i like the look of the expanded top better, and i think you`ll find it more servicable.....only my .02 tod

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 4:46 PM
Im not sure if I understand you correctly, Frank. There is a gap, it is just hidden, are you suggesting that I remove the skirt? or that I just bring out the skirt far enough so that I can utalize the shelf.

By the way, thanks for the comments

Dan Oelke
03-15-2006, 5:31 PM
Just an idea - what about making the skirt really thick - like 3" thick? That would give you the skirt, but yet provide 3" of area for the one end of your clamp to rest against. Maybe to keep the cost/weight down you could make the skirt as a small 3-sided box.

Frank Chaffee
03-15-2006, 5:56 PM
There is a gap, it is just hidden, are you suggesting that I remove the skirt? or that I just bring out the skirt far enough so that I can utalize the shelf.
Allan, I am suggesting that you consider utilizing the space atop the lower cabinets. If the skirt is not structural, you could lose it, and if it is structural, you could lower the height of the cabinet to gain access to its top. The existing graceful proportions of the cabinet within the bench, can still be maintained by setting the bench legs inward, as tod suggests.
Frank

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 8:33 PM
Frank,

I understand what you are saying now. I am going to experiment a little more with different hights and do some more hand drawing until, to see if I can come up with something that I like more.

If worst comes to worst and I feel that I would actually want the gap for functional purposes other than just freeing up space for the longer bench dogs, then I could always chop off the top drawer. I do want the skirt to be that big for other reasons besides just to hide the gap, but in the end, it will really depend most on what vises I decide to go with.

Anyway, thanks to everybody for your opinions and suggestions and for the compliments as well.

When I do have a final design with the vises included, I will post it here.

Anybody else who wants to add their opinions, or suggestions , feel free. And if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

Mark Stutz
03-15-2006, 8:45 PM
Allen,
I like the design, though would go with the maple for the trestle, top, and skirt, with Tzalam for the cabinet. I will agree on the Tzalam...just started using some and will definitely get more. I can only get it here in 4/4, and was wondering if you can get it locally in 8/4. I wqas told it doesn't dry well in the thicker sizes.

Allen Grimes
03-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Yes I can Mark, it was at about $4 a bf last time I checked.

Alan Turner
03-16-2006, 7:31 AM
Workbenches are one of my favorite projects. I have so far built 13 traditional benches, and more will follow I suspect. I have a comment on vises, which you have not yet selected.

In using a vise, it is oft helpful to have tha ability to clamp wood or drawers or whatever such that part of the stock extends under the bench. With your design, that is quite limited. Frequently the tail vise jaw formed by the benchtop is even with, or in front of, the leg so that you can clamp a piece of wood in the jaws of the tail vise at an angle. Think spokeshaving or drawkniving. Also, if you elect to go with an Emmert or Emmert clone as your front vise, you will need room for the lead screw assembly to pivot free of interference.

Thus, you might want to consider your vises as intregal to design of the relationship between the leg/base and the top.

My preference has always been for tail vises, and either Ememrts or quick action front vises, but opinions vary on this controversial subject.

Nice looking bench, by the way. I join in the vote to either delete the skirt, or making it wide enough so that it is a proper clamping surface. Clamping to the bench is a frequent activity. Also, there are several work holding devices which require a good dela of room under the bench top. The Lee Valley line of holddowns and benchtop screws, and the Tools for Working Wood holdfasts, are several that come quickly to mind.

For me, when I design a bench, the vises are the point of first departure. Since a bench is a work holding device, greatly assisted by proper vises, in large measure I see the bench as a vise holding mechanism.

Jonathan Szczepanski
03-16-2006, 7:48 AM
Anyway, I just want peoples opinion on which they think looks better.
Allen -

I prefer the maple. I think it helps to distinguish the top from the cabinets. With the tzalam, there is more of a visual blend between the two that doesn't appeal to me. Of course it will look fine with either wood.

Mark Singer
03-16-2006, 8:57 AM
I think you have gotten some very good advice. Let the top extend for clamping. Allow a space between the cavinets and the top for access. I would also raise the stretcher at the floor and let the cabinets float to allow more space at the floor. The vise choice should be decided now as mentioned to address integrating them into the bench so they look good and work well. I would use maple for the top...

Alan Turner
03-16-2006, 9:27 AM
Allen,
One more thought if that is OK, following up on Mark's post. You will need to sweep under the bench/cabinet, and so leaving enough room for that with the hands and knees exercise might be a prudent move.

Allen Grimes
03-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys, I was only posting this for opinions on looks, but you guys have pointed out some very important aspects that I completely overlooked.

That said, there are some things I just wanted to point out,

1) This bench was designed with 2 specific vises in mind (that is why the skirt is 6", blocking the gap is only a bonus), but I am am not 100% sure that I will use those vises, hence I didnt put them in the design. Also, the 3 inch gap is left there for some very specific bench dogs that I like so much and plan on buying.

2) This design was never intended to be the final design. I wont make the final design until I have all of the hardware in my possession. Only then can I truly know what adjustments need to be made and only then can I make a complete design.

To Alan, I opted out of having the table top too much longer than the base strictly for looks, but now that you brought it to my attention, I think I am going to either extend the top or remove the middle row of drawers. I like big though.

Frank Chaffee
03-23-2006, 1:27 PM
I would also raise the stretcher at the floor and let the cabinets float to allow more space at the floor.
Allen,
On all of the benches I have built, I have put the bottom stretchers at 4” or so off the floor so that a pallet jack may be used to move the bench. The lift range of the pallet jacks I have used is about 3” to 7”.

If you choose to go this route, the stretchers obviously must be strong enough to support the weight of the fully loaded bench, and that load could include a heavy project on its top.

Frank

Allen Grimes
03-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Frank, I dont remember exactly how big the space is between the floor and the bottom stretchers but I am pretty sure I set it at 3", I will have to check that later though, because I want to get another design in before I lose access to SketchUp.