03-15-2006, 2:10 PM
Et Tu, Frank?

Jim Becker
03-15-2006, 3:59 PM
:( The Ides of March :(

Ide rather not think about it...

Ray Bersch
03-15-2006, 8:39 PM
You know, Frank, that is just what I thought when I got up this morning - knew I was facing a long and busy day (I work a half-day, you see.) But by the end of the day the following was accomplished:

At about 9 AM we got news that we were awarded a half-million dollar grant for the housing project we have in the works.

Met with a local church that wants to donate a lot for a multi-family affordable project

Same church wants to partner with us to help clean up and develop a "brownfields" lot in the neighborhood

Met with our environmental guy - he said the "brownfields" property clean up will not be as bad as we anticipated (but no guarantees)

Met with our consultant who gave us the news that another project appears quite favorable for an award of Low Income Housing Tax Credits at close to $1.7 million.

Just before I left the office at 6 PM I e-mailed a colleague with all the good news and ended with a comment: Great Day for Us - too bad for Caesar"

I am taking tomorrow off.
Ray

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Yup. I ain't turnin' my back on the TS or lettin' a router close to my hands for two weeks.

Bruce

Frank Pellow
03-16-2006, 6:36 AM
Hey, that all sounds great Ray. Big Julie's REALLY BAD day, appears to be a GREAT day for you. Congratulations!

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2006, 8:29 AM
Ides rather be in the shop than work!!!!!

Besides that...what's this "Ides of March" thang you're talking about.? I don't mind showing that I don't know it all.

Ray Bersch
03-16-2006, 9:23 AM
Well you see Dennis, it was on the 15th of March that Brutus and others killed Julius Caesar - or so we are told - by stabbing him in the back. So, the saying "Beware the ides of March." Now, I am not sure why the 15th is called the "ides" but as I understand it, it also means the 15th of May, July or October AND the 13th of any other month in the old Roman calendar - go figger....... anyway, it was a good day this year for the group that I work with.
Ray

Jack Hogoboom
03-16-2006, 3:21 PM
Dennis,

Caesar's dying words were alleged to "Et tu Brute?" which literally translates to "And you Brutus?" but which is more freely translated as "You too Brutus?".

Product of a wasted childhood....:o :p

J.

Allen Grimes
03-16-2006, 3:36 PM
I thought Ides just meant the middle of the month and not any specific day.

Anyway, as for Jacks latin translation, it latin is anything like spanish then "et tu" (and you), would be like "y tu" (which means the same), but it can also be used to ask "why you", so that could have well been what he meant, instead of "you too".

"Y tu", can mean a bunch of different things depending on the situation (such as, "what do you want" or "what are you doing here"), so I am assuming that "Et tu" is the same, so I am going with "Why you" as the more reasonable translation of what he said.

Yes, this is pointless information, but I have nothing better to do:cool:

Frank Pellow
03-16-2006, 4:54 PM
Yes, this is pointless information, but I have nothing better to do:cool:
That's OK Allen. This was a pointless thread that I started because I had nothing better to do. :D

But, now I have something better to do, so I had beter go and do it. :)

Allen Grimes
03-16-2006, 5:04 PM
Well actually Frank, I am running my store right now, but running my store means sitting around doing nothing all day while I wait for customers to stop by.

Ray Bersch
03-16-2006, 9:12 PM
I dunno, guys, I kinda think the "et tu" comment meant something totally different. After all, he did have a knife in his back and I can tell you what I would have said - or not, at least not here, but I would do my drill instructor proud, I'll tell you.

Ray

Richard Gillespie
03-17-2006, 9:40 AM
Yup. I ain't turnin' my back on the TS or lettin' a router close to my hands for two weeks.

Bruce

How's the thumb healing? You able to do any woodworking yet?

Allen Grimes
03-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Ray, I remember learning in school that Brutus actually stabbed him from the front not the back. Even though the phrase "Stabbed in the back" came from that incident.

Also I heard that it was a psychic that told Cesar "Beware, the Ides of March"

I dont think anybody really knows (or really can for that matter) what happened so all we got are these contradicting legends.

Oh and what I was saying about "Y tu" in spanish, it is more often than not, the rude way of saying things.