PDA

View Full Version : My winged bowl.

Rich Stewart
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Here is my first attempt at w winged bowl. It is that Austrain pine stuff i got from ebay. I have a question about winged pieces. Do you have to turn them VERY fast? I was running about 1100 RPM's. When I tried to sand the wing part on this it ripped the sandpaper out of my hand and caused me to almost soil my jeans. I took it off the lathe, filled it with sunflower seeds, and put it out for the squirrels to eat out of. Anybody got some pointers on this type of piece that will keep me from doing damage to my fingers/knuckles/hands?

Keith Burns
03-15-2006, 11:51 AM
IMHO speed can be your friend or your enemy. I would have done this with the speed at the lowest speed possible. On my lathe thats about 340 rpm. I always sand at the lowest speed possible. You will get a better finish. Bob Rosand says if your fingers get hot holding the paper your spinning to fast.

That is a nice piece by the way, the wildlife should be proud.

Ron Ainge
03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
as the first responder said you get the best results when your sanding is done at slower speeds, but to me it appears that I get smother cuts at higher speeds so I turn fast and sand slow. only my suggestion

Mark Cothren
03-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Rich, I really like that bowl!!! I may do one or two like this for my wife to use in the same way. She'll love it!

I've only done one winged bowl, and I sanded the wings with the lathe stopped.

Thanks for the pictures!

Jim Becker
03-15-2006, 3:51 PM
You may be able to get away with sanding the inside of the "bowl" on the lathe, but it is extraordinarily dangerous to try and sand those wings with the piece spinning under lathe power. Hand-sanding is the rule on these... ;)

Nice piece, Rich!

Rich Stewart
03-15-2006, 3:58 PM
Ok, that's what I wanted to know. I thought y'all sanded those winged pieces with the lathe spinning. Now, how 'bout cutting them wings. Would you do it high speed or what? The wings on mine are bandsawed but the ones on Travis's piece must've been cut on the lathe. Maybe somebody could give me a short lesson as I really like those kind.

Jim Ketron
03-15-2006, 4:04 PM
I turn mine as fast as the piece will let me.(so the lathe is not walking all over the shop) The slower the speed the more air time between the cutting edge and the wing.

Corey Hallagan
03-15-2006, 8:31 PM
Wow, never seen a winged piece before and today I see two of them and one is a natural edged. Very cool!

Corey

Travis Stinson
03-15-2006, 8:53 PM
Very nice Rich. Like Jim said, anything with an irregular surface (natural edge, voids, etc.), is best turned as fast as can be turned safely, to minimixe the air time. When sanding those irregular surfaces, it's best to sand them with the lathe off and turn them by hand while sanding. That will keep your sanding pad/ hand from bouncing in and out of the airspace.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2006, 9:01 PM
Rich looks good. I would say you did just fine. No expert or anything but I would use the lowest speed possible or took it off and sanded it. Going to have to try one of those.