PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly vs. Jet

John Branam
03-15-2006, 9:08 AM
I am pondering a lathe purchase and I am looking for some input on these 2 particular lathes. The first is the grizzly G8690 or the Jet Mini, possibly even the Delta Midi. The Grizzly is $159.95, the Jet $275, and the Delta $285. Any input from those who own or have used any of these is much appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2006, 9:35 AM
I would go with the Jet or Delta. I have the Delta Midi and have been well satisfied with it. I have the bed extension with it. I can turn spindles up to 37", lidded boxes, vases and bowls up to 9 1/2". It is non-variable speed but can change speeds on it in about 30 to 45 seconds. It has been a good little lathe for me.

Keith Burns
03-15-2006, 9:56 AM
I'll have to agree with Bernie. Either the Jet or Delta. I too have the Delta Midi and it has been an excellent lathe. I don't find the non-variable speed a problem for me. The Jet VS gets a lot of praise as well.

Raymond Overman
03-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Not to stir the pot but you may want to also consider the new Rikon mini. At $249 (Woodcraft's price) you get a 12" swing / 16" between centers compared to 10" swing / 14" between centers with the Jet for $279. 2" doesn't seem like a lot but it makes a little difference when you want a 10" platter out of a 10" square slab or have a knot on the side of a log that you can't safely reach with your saw.

Of course with any mini/midi weight is a big factor on what you can turn. Holding down a lathe with ballast and varying the speed is key to keeping your lathe from walking away.

John Branam
03-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Not to stir the pot but you may want to also consider the new Rikon mini. At $249 (Woodcraft's price) you get a 12" swing / 16" between centers compared to 10" swing / 14" between centers with the Jet for $279. 2" doesn't seem like a lot but it makes a little difference when you want a 10" platter out of a 10" square slab or have a knot on the side of a log that you can't safely reach with your saw.

Of course with any mini/midi weight is a big factor on what you can turn. Holding down a lathe with ballast and varying the speed is key to keeping your lathe from walking away.

I will have to look at the Rikon, I plan on anchoring the lathe to a bech surface that is already anchored to the wall (kind of a counter top set up) so that should eliminate the weight or lack there of concern.

Raymond Overman
03-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I will have to look at the Rikon, I plan on anchoring the lathe to a bech surface that is already anchored to the wall (kind of a counter top set up) so that should eliminate the weight or lack there of concern.

By anchoring it to the wall, you will be transfering any vibrations to the wall. Be aware that even slightly out of round pieces end up vibrating a lot at 430 RPM. If there's anything hanging on the wall, make sure it's secure. I would make sure you have support to the floor under your cabinet and mass to dampen the vibration as well. Sand seems to do the trick very well.

My $.02

John Branam
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
My shop is a basement shop so the counter top is anchored to the concrete walls of the foundation and the concrete floors.

Don Orr
03-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Jet, Jet, Jet ! Get the Jet ! Go with the Jet ! Jet Rocks ! White Iron Rules !;)

Can you tell I like my Jet minis (I have 2-my original manual VS and a newer one with a bed extension) :D . I also have a Jet 1642 EVS lathe, a Jet Tablesaw and a Jet bandsaw. Very happy with all my Jet tools. The Mini Lathes are tough as nails and dependable. I have beaten and abused my minis for years and they just laugh at me and ask "Is that all you got":D .
I'm very curious about the Rikon though. Looking forward to peoples opinions as they arise.

Good Luck, Don.

Ron Ainge
03-15-2006, 1:14 PM
I will first tell you that I own a Jet Mini VS and two older Delta Lathe and am thinking about getting a mustard colored lathe in the future. I have turned on all three of the lathes you are tinking about, the Delta Midi, the Jet Mini and the Rikon and in my opinion the Rikon is not currently in the same class as the first two. The quality control on the Rikon is not up to speed as of yet. I know that several creekers have purchased them and like them but I spent two days doing demos on the Rikon last October and had to do repairs on it several times each day. My opinion only. The other two lathes would be good investments.

John Miliunas
03-15-2006, 1:40 PM
I will first tell you that I own a Jet Mini VS and two older Delta Lathe and am thinking about getting a mustard colored lathe in the future. I have turned on all three of the lathes you are tinking about, the Delta Midi, the Jet Mini and the Rikon and in my opinion the Rikon is not currently in the same class as the first two. The quality control on the Rikon is not up to speed as of yet. I know that several creekers have purchased them and like them but I spent two days doing demos on the Rikon last October and had to do repairs on it several times each day. My opinion only. The other two lathes would be good investments.

Ron, great info! I'd be real interested in hearing what types of repairs/problems you had with the Rikon. Thanks!:) :cool:

John Hart
03-15-2006, 2:27 PM
My shop is a basement shop so the counter top is anchored to the concrete walls of the foundation and the concrete floors.

John....My shop is in the basement too and I had my Lathe bench anchored to the foundation and walls. It's not anchored to the walls anymore, and I didn't un-anchor it. :o

Probably won't happen to you....but...you know.....Just thought I'd mention it.:)

John Branam
03-15-2006, 3:05 PM
John....My shop is in the basement too and I had my Lathe bench anchored to the foundation and walls. It's not anchored to the walls anymore, and I didn't un-anchor it. :o

Probably won't happen to you....but...you know.....Just thought I'd mention it.:)

I will keep that in mind. the counter is anchored directly into the concrete walls, I may have to add a few more after your input though!;)

Dominic Greco
03-15-2006, 8:19 PM

John,
Depending on how much you believe tool reviews in woodworking magazines, the Rikon got a so-so review by Phil Brennion in the current issue of WOOD magazine. He said they had some real quality control issues with the fit and finish, as well as some bottoming out issues with the spur center in the spindle's #2MT. While the review quotes the President of the company saying that they had fixed these issues already (like he would say otherwise!), I'd still tend to steer clear of this lathe.

No one here will be real surprised when I suggest purchasing a Jet lathe. I've had a Jet JWL-1642 EVS for about 3 years and really love using it. Or if you're in the market for a smaller lathe, you can't go wrong with the Jet Mini.

Mike Priest
03-15-2006, 11:05 PM
My opinion is just from my observation, as I dont have my lathe yet, but I talked to a few people that didnt care for the delta, and didnt find anyone that had a problem with the Jet. That was enough for me.

I just purchased the Jet mini on Amazon.

Jet 708351VS/JML-1014VS Variable Speed Mini Lathe - 279$
Porter-Cable 42690 Edge Guide (for Models 100, 690, 691, 693 Routers) - 30$
added the router jig to get the total over 300 and you can get 75$ off.

Total price with A9 discount was 231$ seemed like a decent deal

Be warned delivery is scheduled to take until late April, but for the price I was willing to wait.