PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cue Case - Finally Done

Vaughn McMillan
03-15-2006, 5:03 AM
Sorry, but I feel compelled to remove the text and pics in this post. I cannot publicly explain my reasons for doing so, but if you would like more information about the project or the reasons why it was removed, I can be contacted at SMC -at- tg3k.com.

Tom Pritchard
03-15-2006, 5:45 AM
Vaughn, great work! The inlay on the case looks beautiful. It must have been very difficult to lay out and implement. The brass corners are also a nice touch. I've never seen jatoba wood in a finished piece before, and it really gives the case a rich look and overall tone. The finish is beautiful as well. You mentioned a "few hairline swirls", and I bet no one other than you could ever find them. If they did, just tell them that's how you can tell it wasn't made by a machine:D ! Beautiful work Vaughn!!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-15-2006, 6:01 AM
Super Duper Nice!!

I'd be afraid to take it anywhere, as it might get up and walk away, or get bumped and scratched!

VERY nice job, attention to detail is super!

Cheers!

Todd Davidson
03-15-2006, 6:10 AM
Hey Vaughn~

Fantastic! Your cue is stylin'. Could be a source of revenue - the guy with the X5 cues certainly will want to be part of the case elite.

In peace, Todd

Karl Laustrup
03-15-2006, 6:12 AM
That is sweeeeet Vaughn. Great finish on a great case. :)

Karl

Michael Stafford
03-15-2006, 6:19 AM
That is one fine piece of work, Vaughn. I really like everything about it. Back in my younger days I fancied myself to be somewhat of pool player but it was only in my imagination. Whenever one of you guys came into the pool hall toting your stick in a fancy box I knew it was time to put my wallet in a safe place. You wouldn't be one of those guys who subsidize their woodworking by sharking hapless rubes like me?:p :eek: :D :D

Beautiful!!!:D

Brent Harral
03-15-2006, 7:00 AM
Pool cues?? I thought it was to carry the Queen's jewels :D

Very very nice..

John D Watson
03-15-2006, 7:43 AM
Really nice work Vaughn, The top is gorgeous, you must be proud of that much sot-after gleam. It's worth the effort eh. Don't feel bad as the case only has four corners untill you want to cover them LOL.

Chris Barton
03-15-2006, 7:46 AM
Incredible work Vaughn! That's a case to be proud of!

tod evans
03-15-2006, 7:51 AM
nice work vaughn!

larry merlau
03-15-2006, 8:08 AM
nice case there vaughn, and the maple did show threw in your pics. i thought i recognized you from one of those espn shws :D

Gary Herrmann
03-15-2006, 8:28 AM
Nicely done, Vaughn. The case looks great.

Kent Parker
03-15-2006, 8:36 AM
Very nice work Vaughn!!

KP

John Miliunas
03-15-2006, 8:42 AM
Dooooooood....!!!! As I had pretty much expected, that's awesome!!!! :D That really does look wonderful and, even if you may not be a pro pool shooter, your WW looks every bit professional!!! :) So, in the final analysis, how did you like working with the lacquer??? IMHO, it's worth any extra effort... :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-15-2006, 8:48 AM
You should win by defalt with that case. If not blind them with the glare.
That is too sweet Vaughn.
Well done.
PS is that Stevie Ray in your Avatar???:cool:

Jim Becker
03-15-2006, 9:07 AM
Now, that's really beautiful! What a great combination of figure and color!

Greg Narozniak
03-15-2006, 9:10 AM
A Szamboti would look darn sweeet in there!

Nice Work!

Andy Hoyt
03-15-2006, 9:15 AM
..... Instead I figured I could at least have the nicest case in the bar ...... this case really isn't all that practical for taking to bars ...... Vaughn
Umm, well, huh?

Nice work, Vaughn.

Brett Baldwin
03-15-2006, 9:33 AM
That sure did turn out nice Vaughn. If you hadn't said something, the Purpleheart border would look like it was planned. You may have to go ahead and turn a cue or two now to match the your case. One thing that caught my eye is the handle for the case. I think it would look even better if you carved out your own and put it in place of the plastic.

Cecil Arnold
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Take it to the bar and see how many orders you can get from those guys that have the really costly cues. It's really nice work.

Hank Knight
03-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Vaughn, that's really nice work! The design and the finish are both beautiful. I agree with several; other posters: I'll bet you get orders from some of your buddies. I think a handmade case for two cues should cost at least as much as the combined cost of both cues, I.E., two Unisaws. ;)

Ron Robinson
03-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Stunning. Absolutely beautiful.

Ron Robinson

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Turned out outstanding Vaughn. I've been following your progress in the finish forum and have been waiting to see the results and was not disapointed.

Greg Tatum
03-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Wow! very nice work as usual.

Dick Bringhurst
03-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Vaughn, I really like the wood, the design, and the finish. Dick B.

Bruce Page
03-15-2006, 2:58 PM
Vaughan, that case is absolutely stunning! My sticks would self destruct if I ever put them in a case like that! If you ever get out this way, drop by and we’ll play a few games. My skill level is directly proportional to the number of beers that I have consumed...:o

Steve Ash
03-15-2006, 4:08 PM
Vaughan, Nice work! I'd hate to take it to a pool hall for fear of someone taking it when you're not looking.

Richard Wolf
03-15-2006, 4:11 PM
That's a great looking case, Vaughan.

Richard

John Buzzurro
03-15-2006, 5:23 PM
Very nicely done, Vaughn.

Vaughn McMillan
03-15-2006, 8:02 PM
Thanks for all the great comments and compliments. In response to some of them:

Todd, Cecil and others...I'm going to do a bit of checking to see if any of the high-rollers are interested in a pricy, made-to-order case. I'd probably need to charge about $300 to $500 to make it worth my time, but there are sticks out there that cost 40 or 50 times that. (Google "Szamboti" for some examples. You've gotta shark a lot of pool to justify a $20,000 stick.)

Big Mike...A fancy stick (or case) does not make a good player. I'm living proof. ;) And I've seen guys who could win with a broomstick. One of the most impressive beatings I've had handed to me on a pool table was by a one-armed guy named Lefty. (No kidding...and he was right-handed.)

John M... I liked the lacquer, and yes, it was worth the work. I'll be using it in the future for sure.

Tyler...The avatar is me, many years ago, when I used to make a living with a guitar. Vaughnie Ray Steve. :cool: (Photo taken by my sis.)

Andy...just because it's not practical doesn't mean I won't take it to the bar. I seldom get accused of being practical. I'm tempted to make an Anvil Case (http://www.anvilcase.com/) style flight case, so I won't have to worry about nicks and scratches.

Brett...I'd love to learn how to turn a pool cue. From what I've seen, they use a machinist's lathe, not your standard Jet Mini. making a wooden handle for the case sounds like a cool idea, too.

Bruce...my skill level used to also be tied into the number of beers I'd had. After a dozen or so, my game would start to decline, but by then, I didn't really care. :o It's been difficult learning to play without the beer, but I'm getting better at it. :p Is the Corner Pocket still at Moon and Lomas? I used to occasionally play there years ago. My claim to fame was that I beat Cowboy Jimmie Moore at a game of 8-ball once...he used to hang out at the Corner Pocket. He was in his 80's back then, but he still played like the champ he was in his younger days. (He's in the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame.) Whether we play pool or not, I'd like to say hi to you next time I'm in ABQ.

Thanks again all. I really like sharing this type of thing with folks like you all who can appreciate the work that goes into something like this.

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
03-15-2006, 8:28 PM
Bruce...my skill level used to also be tied into the number of beers I'd had. After a dozen or so, my game would start to decline, but by then, I didn't really care. :o It's been difficult learning to play without the beer, but I'm getting better at it. :p Is the Corner Pocket still at Moon and Lomas? I used to occasionally play there years ago. My claim to fame was that I beat Cowboy Jimmie Moore at a game of 8-ball once...he used to hang out at the Corner Pocket. He was in his 80's back then, but he still played like the champ he was in his younger days. (He's in the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame.) Whether we play pool or not, I'd like to say hi to you next time I'm in ABQ.
- Vaughn

Yep the Corner Pocket is still there. The wife & I use to play there often, before we bought our table.
I'm sure your skill level is waaaaay out of my league, my skill level is more of a curve. It curves up to about 6/7 beers, holds steady for about 3, then slopes down. I haven't had the cover off of the table in three months. :o
I would love to get together whenever you're out this way.

Mark Stutz
03-15-2006, 8:32 PM
Vaughn,
It's hard to come up with a compliment that hasn't already been used! Stunning . I'm sure there will be orders...custom inlays to match the stick sound good.

Von Bickley
03-15-2006, 9:50 PM
Vaughn,

Great looking case..... Now rack'em...;)

Christopher Stahl
03-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Vaughn, like Mark said, I don't know what else to say. I think it's awesome. I've been thinking about making one for some time, and looking at your case is surely inspiring. Not sure it will look as good.

If you come out to PA, stop by and we'll play. :)

chris

Dennis Peacock
03-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Most EXCELLENT Vaughn!!!!!! Very beautiful work. Congrats on a case well made.

Jason Tuinstra
03-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Vaughn, once again you show why you can proudly wear the title "Da' Man!" Very nice all the way around. From finish, to wood selection, to execution - it's all just right! Nice job.

Corey Hallagan
03-15-2006, 11:45 PM
I am a little late here Vaughn but that is one sweet case man. Sooo cool, the workmanship is tops, the finish is just grand. I like how you finished out the interior as well. Nice job Vaughn!
Corey

Keith Foster
03-17-2006, 2:00 PM
Awesome Box!

I've got to get to work on a cue holder for my pool room. While I don't have any ultra expensive cues - I do have a nice graphite one that is a much better stick than I am a player! Just wish the pool table wasn't upstairs - knees just aren't what they use to be and I know that keeps me from playing as often as I'd like. Well, that and the long list of projects I can't seem to get started on! :D