PDA

View Full Version : Big changes ahead.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-14-2006, 10:14 PM
I've been around quite a while but don't post as much as I used to. Started back with Badger Pond and after it dried up I started visiting both Sawmill Creek and Wood Central because Ponders went to both sites. I've logged on as Don Henthorn from Texas but that is going to change. I am 86 and my wife is 80. She is not in as good health as I am. I need to get her back to where we have relatives around to send us to the the glue factory when it is time. We signed the papers to sell our home yesterday and will close in late April. We have sold most of our furniture and belongings including my shop tools. I plan on trading our little Mazda for a used pick up so we can pull a trailer with our worldly goods to northern California. My wife has edema pretty bad and isn't supposed to ride in a car for more than an hour at a time. I will wrap her legs with Ace bandages and she can sit sidesaddle in the back seat so she can keep her feet up and I think she will be ok. She wants to ride with me rather than fly back with my daughter. Anyway i have a few weeks to pack and can continue to read the posts here. When we leave I will be off the web for several weeks at least. Just thought I would post this note and wish everyone well, in case I get so busy I forget,

Jim Becker
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Don, best wishes to you and your wife on your move!! I'm sure it wasn't a really easy decision, but you have to do what you have to do. I do hope you hung on to a few things to faddle with wood...

(And Jackie can "change" your name in the profile to match what you want it when you get where you're headed)

Jerry Olexa
03-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Have a safe journey..A difficult decision but sounds like the right one and you have a good and loyal partner..Godspeed. Keep us informed. We'll miss you.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Evening Don. Sorry you and your wife are having troubles. My wife, too, has edema (Lymphodema) and know about finding better ways to get where we need to go. God Speed and smooth seas my fellow ww'r.

Bruce

Rob Russell
03-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Don,

Best of luck with your move. You might consider renting a pickup for the move rather than buying a used one, if only because there's a good chance it'll be newer and with less chance of something going wrong during the trip. That, and if it does break down, the rental company covers the repair costs.

Rob

Martin Shupe
03-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Don,

I have always enjoyed and learned from your posts, both here and at WC. Please continue to post when you get settled in CA. You are too important to this board to lose.

Safe journeys, my friend.

Norman Hitt
03-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Don, I understand the reasons for the move, but we hate to see you leave Texas anyhow. All the best to you and your wife on your new venture and have a safe trip out to the LEFT Coast.:D I guess since you sold all your Shop Tools, you can always take up Whittlin' when you get settled, after all, it's still a form of WoodWorking.;)

Jason Roehl
03-15-2006, 6:48 AM
Don, I've always enjoyed the broad wealth of knowledge, wisdom and experience in your posts. Godspeed to you and your wife in your change of scenery, and I pray she is able to recover from her edema. Even your brief absence will be missed, but we'll know you're here in spirit while you're doing what you need to for your family.

Mike Tempel
03-15-2006, 7:07 AM
Don, sorry to hear you leaving Texas but hope all is going to be well for you in your move. I had often thought of you when you replied to a post concerning drill bit sharpening. I always thought it would have been great to meet you and have you teach me how to sharpen drill bits by hand. A lost art that I would have enjoyed learning. Hope you can rejoin us soon. Thanks, Mike

Frank Pellow
03-15-2006, 7:55 AM
Don, I am sorry to hear the news. I guess that something similar will happen to Margaret and to me someday and this serves as a reminder to us to enjoy our good health while we have it.

I wish you a successful relocation. And, even though you say you have sold your tools, I hope that you are able to do some woodworking at your new place.

Dave Richards
03-15-2006, 8:00 AM
Best wishes for a smooth trip and good health, Don.

John Miliunas
03-15-2006, 8:52 AM
Don, I'm sure Texas will miss you but, there are a LOT of super folks out Cali way, as well! Have a safe and uneventful trip and touch base with us as soon as it's convenient for you to do so! Take care!:) :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-15-2006, 8:58 AM
Old Buddy.
Thanks for the years of education. Learned many things from your posts. Looking forward to more.
Safe journey.;)

Charles McKinley
03-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Don,

Have a safe trip. Enjoy your family in California. Please post back when you get settled in.

Wes Bischel
03-15-2006, 1:55 PM
Don,
May the wind be at your back during your trip. I hope all goes well.

Do you know your route to N. California? If so, maybe a few Creekers along the way could PM you their numbers "just in case". Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong coast. If you don't have a cell phone, you may want to get a prepaid one for the trip - well worth the piece of mind.

OK, enough bother from Mom.

I hope you and your wife can have fun on your cross country adventure!

Wes

Bill Grumbine
03-15-2006, 4:39 PM
Hi Don

I hope all goes well with your move, and we both know that better days are coming! Jude 24,25

Bill

Vaughn McMillan
03-15-2006, 4:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the reasons for the move Don, but hoping all the best for you and your wife out here in the land of Fruits and Nuts. Lots of beautiful country in Northern California, and not as many wackos as down here in La La Land. :)

Do stay in touch...remember, it takes more than tools to make a woodworker, and you're still a woodworker even without the tools. Looking forward to seeing future posts from you.

- Vaughn

Carl Eyman
03-15-2006, 6:05 PM
I sure can relate to your situation and hope I can deal as well when the time comes. Most important: pack your computer carefully so you can get back to us. Meanwhile, make your daily legs short and enjoy.

Don Baer
03-15-2006, 6:14 PM
Don,
Sorry that you got to make the move but N. Cal has some pretty places. like others have said take your time and stop frequently.

Stay in touch

another Don

John Bailey
03-15-2006, 7:11 PM
Don,

Hope the move goes well. Hope to hear from you soon. Enjoy!!

John

Karl Laustrup
03-15-2006, 8:32 PM
Don, you and your wife have a safe trip. There is some beautiful scenery along the way. Be sure to stop and smell the roses. ;) :) Look forward to hearing from you when you get re-established.

Karl

Earl Reid
03-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Don
Wishing the best for you and the wife as you travel to the west coast and settle in your new home

Earl:)