PDA

View Full Version : Dang ---Not fun

Gary Max
03-14-2006, 7:01 PM
Box Elder with some real cool flame and spalting. Now the bad news--- had this hunk of wire hide inside, I lost about 1/3 of the size. Of course I got the vise grips out---a hammer and chisel ---and went to work on it. The wood was almost to far gone-- but I wasn't going to give up. Here's what I ended up with. SWMBO is still working on the finish.

Rich Stewart
03-14-2006, 7:14 PM
How cool is that? I would find some way to incorporate the wire into the piece. I'm slightly warped. What can I say?

Gary Max
03-14-2006, 7:28 PM
Rich I wanted to leave part of the wire just hanging out of the side. It was located closer to the base and had to be removed or I would of just had a square block of wood that was hollowed out.

Chris Barton
03-14-2006, 7:33 PM
Wow Gary, that is a bummer! I have found some surprises thus far but, no metal...

John Hart
03-14-2006, 8:11 PM
I've found my share of metal...but usually with the chainsaw:mad: That's pretty rough Gary....kinda cool though.

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 8:37 PM
Adds character Gary. Work it into the piece.

Reminds me of the time I found an entire hammer head in crotch piece I was working. Trouble was ---- I found it with the jointer.

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2006, 8:40 PM
Bummer Gary. I would try to leave it and work it in somehow. Bowl looks good.

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 9:39 PM
Wow Gary, did it slap you around? I just viewed a piece the other day that had a square nail left in it. That is some nice wood.

Ernie