PDA

View Full Version : Say it isn't so Joe! - SketchUp done got Googled

Doug Shepard
03-14-2006, 6:22 PM
Imagine my surprise. In my email today was a news update from SketchUp. Here's an excerpt:

Well, about the biggest thing ever: we've been Googled! That's right, Google Inc. has acquired @Last Software…so you might have just spit your coffee all over your keyboard, or you're rolling your eyes thinking this is another one of my April Fool's jokes. Believe me, we're still having a hard time believing it ourselves, but it's real—we are now Google!

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 6:38 PM
I read General forum. According to the link they will continue doing there own thing...lol. I have been on both sides of some big corp. buyouts and that ain't gonna happen. The big company will assimlate them and then they prpbubly off shore the support. I hope the folks from sketchup got a bundle so they can enjoy their retirement...:(

Kevin Murdock
03-14-2006, 6:50 PM
Hmm... that's interesting.

Google is known for buying companies and giving away the software to home users. Sketchup is well known as good software, but very expensive for the non-professional ($500!).

That's what Google did with Picasa (photo editing software) and Google Earth (formally very expensive software from a company called Digital Globe if I recall) which were from companies that they bought. Other examples escape me now.

It will be interesting. Notice in the list of questions about the Google buyout on the sketchup website that they don't address this. May be due to the fact that it is being considered?

Keeping my fingers crossed! :D Though even if the price gets within the reach of the average home user, it would be nice.

/Kevin

Keith Starosta
03-14-2006, 7:36 PM
I was just coming to the forum to post this myself. Ya beat me to it!! I see this as a pretty interesting and exciting opportunity. My firm is really trying to grow its geospatial capabilities, and I would not be surprised if we partnered with Google Earth in the future. Since I am in the process of building my geospatial development skills, this may be a good opportunity to have the company send me to SketchUp training!! :D How funny would that be?!

- Keith