PDA

View Full Version : Jig for cutting carpet

Joe Pelonio
03-14-2006, 4:33 PM
I could use some design help from people that like to design jigs. This customer looks like they are going to repeat on this and it takes too long the way I'm doing it. It's a custom car place, and they are having me cut out logos on pieces of automobile carpet, from two colors of carpet, which they will remove and swap to the other color, bind it on the bottom and make into floor mats. This time they brought 4 pieces, 2 forest green and two grey. They would then have two green mats with grey letters, two grey mats with green letters. The problem is the hunks of carpet are about 18"x30 and the laser is 12x24, the logo takes up 5"x12" near one corner. I set the laser to just cut through the jute.

What I've done previously and for these 4 is to put the area to be cut on a piece of 1/2" MDO with pushpins to hold it, then fold under on two sides, and place objects under it until it's level. That, plus arranging it to a good starting point are what take time.

Maybe something of wood with legs, like a table, and a thinner piece on top to hold it tight? Legs have to go out at angles from the corners to allow the fold under. Can't clamp with anything that the head would hit, and can't put screws through the carpet that would leave holes.

Any suggestions welcome.

Michael McDuffie
03-14-2006, 7:09 PM
Joe,
This is what I use for tubes that are too long for the machine.

The front of my Epilog comes off so that things can stick out the front. This jig clamps to the front edge of the table and gives me a 2' long shelf to lay the tubes on. The spacer should be the thickness of the table or just a bit more so that it clamps tightly.

I would make something like this but wider and make some clamps or glue some clothes pins or use Destatco clamps to hold the carpet down.

The jig helper allows me to keep the jigs tidy and clean:p

Michael
In Des Moines, about a 45 minute drive from you.

Joe Pelonio
03-15-2006, 8:16 AM
Thanks Michael. I think I can use some of that to come up with a workable
jig, maybe use spring clamps as they will stick out to the sides and not be in the way of the head. My Epilog is a 24tt and the sides come off for extra long items rather than the front. Cute helper you have there.

Michael McDuffie
03-15-2006, 12:56 PM
You might also look at sticky back velcro. A few pieces here and there may be all you need. It probably won't stick to MDF or MDO without help from carpet tape or contact cement.

Michael

Jeff Chumbley
03-15-2006, 2:32 PM
I have a 24TT also Joe I didnt know you could take the sides off for longer things. Doesnt it have a kill switch there for the laser?

Jeff

Joe Pelonio
03-15-2006, 2:49 PM
I have a 24TT also Joe I didnt know you could take the sides off for longer things. Doesnt it have a kill switch there for the laser?

Jeff
The kill switch is in the glass door. Look on the inside toward the back
on both sides and you will see an opening big enough for a baseball bat
and then some. It does run with the sides off, I know because when I changed out my tube I tested/adjusted it before putting the sides and front back on.

Jeff Chumbley
03-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Joe