Paul B. Cresti
03-14-2006, 3:58 PM
Curious to see if anyone here has any input on rotary tools for odds
and ends type work & misc metal cutting etc... I am looking at the
Dremel 395d in the 3956-02 kit, B&D Wizard (variable speed kit) and
the Proxxon. Any Ideas??

tod evans
03-14-2006, 4:15 PM
now ya gone-n-done it paul!:) the brands you list are like comparing tai/chi sliders to european....for electric go foredom for 1/8-3/32 shafts for 1/4 i like milwaukee or makita but none of these hold a candle to air! if you can swing it you`ll only by air once.....02 tod

products from cooper tools
products from pferd

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 4:15 PM
Pual,
I have had the B&D wizard kit for many years, LOML thought it was cute so she got it for me for a present. It's prettty good for small tasks and the dremel sanding discs and cutters work with it. There have been a few time when it saved me a lot of work and for the price it a handy tool to have around. I recently read somwhere on this forum that Dremel also makes a non corded version so I think I would also include that in the mix.

Editted to add this remark
PS I agree with Tod if it a big task I use an air die grinder and various bits etc. I only use the wizard when I need cordless and a small job.

Paul B. Cresti
03-14-2006, 4:22 PM
Well I got me a big IR 2 stage compressor so air ain't the problem...plus I got plenty of hot air at times too :) I just was thinking about a little tool to do a bit of little metal snipping and then started down the path of, "What else could I do with this?", and "while I am at it"...... So lay it on me folks I know nothing about rotary tools, air or electric

tod evans
03-14-2006, 4:31 PM
paul, "a little bit of metal work" is a broad subject! rotary tools are great for more than just metal work, they`re pretty versitle little critters..what are you looking to accomplish? that`ll make it easier to point you in a direction..02 tod

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 4:34 PM
Pual,
A good example is I used the rotory rasps with a die grinder for wood shaping in hard to reach areas like the coves on the column when I made the Maloof table as one example. Once you get one I am sure you will find a multitude of uses.

Paul B. Cresti
03-14-2006, 4:35 PM
paul, "a little bit of metal work" is a broad subject! rotary tools are great for more than just metal work, they`re pretty versitle little critters..what are you looking to accomplish? that`ll make it easier to point you in a direction..02 tod

Well I began to look around because I needed to cut a piece of metal (thin) on a tool I own. Then I started to see all the different bits that can be bought for them as was wondering what am I missing. I know this sounds stupid but what else can I do with them? Carving? trimming misc metals? drilling?.....

Tyler Howell
03-14-2006, 4:36 PM
Roto Zip is not a tool and should be avoided IMHO

Vaughn McMillan
03-14-2006, 4:38 PM
Paul, I've got an old corded Dremel that I bought myself in high school, and it still runs like new. Way back then I also built an electronic motor speed control (from a kit) that allows me to adjust from 0 rpm to full speed (whatever that might be). I still use it occasionally, and the times I get it out it's proven to be very handy. Just yesterday, I used it with an abrasive cutting wheel to trim the length of a brass piano hinge. It's probably not suitable for day in, day out production work, but it's always done what I needed it to do.

- Vaughn

tod evans
03-14-2006, 4:48 PM
Well I began to look around because I needed to cut a piece of metal (thin) on a tool I own. Then I started to see all the different bits that can be bought for them as was wondering what am I missing. I know this sounds stupid but what else can I do with them? Carving? trimming misc metals? drilling?.....

all of the above plus cut and etch glass and tile, sharpen carving tools, shape wood and metal, the list goes on and on.....here`s one thing to think about whether you go air or electric, torque and speed are not usually in the same package so if the cutters you intend to use require high speed(60-80k rpm) you`ll need a different tool than low speed cutters(18-30k rpm) for starters i`d suggest getting a midpriced air unit about 20k rpm with a 1/4" collet and a reducer to 1/8". play with that for a while untill you see how really handy these things are then call me and i`ll get you headed in the right direction....lots of this stuff is available on the "bay" for pennies on the dollar! .02 tod

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 4:56 PM
I know Tod is going to have a stroke but I'd suggest that you drop by Harbor freight and pick up a small inexpensive die drinder and some tooling for it and try it out hteen when you find how useful it is you can take the plunge and but a real setup if you feel you need it. for less then $30 you can get everything you need to do an evaluation. I just checked there site and they have a 22K RPM grinder with a 1/4 ans a 1/8 chucks, some stones and rasps on sale for $9.00 while there pick up a few disk cutters and you'll be in bidness

.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/44700-44799/44716.gif

tod evans
03-14-2006, 5:00 PM
I know Tod is going to have a stroke but I'd suggest that you drop by Harbor freight and pick up a small inexpensive die drinder and some tooling for it and try it out hteen when you find how useful it is you can take the plunge and but a real setup if you feel you need it. for less then $30 you can get everything you need to do an evaluation. I just checked there site and they have a 22K RPM grinder with a 1/4 ans a 1/8 chucks, some stones and rasps on sale for $9.00 while there pick up a few disk cutters and you'll be in bidness

wear glasses if you use hf air tools! (don, for 9 bucks you`re right, it`ll give him a feel) .02 tod

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 5:07 PM
wear glasses if you use hf air tools! (don, for 9 bucks you`re right, it`ll give him a feel) .02 tod

Tod,
I where my safety glasses no matter what tool I'm using...;)

Gary Herrmann
03-14-2006, 5:21 PM
I've also got an old corded Dremel that still works just fine. Some day, I'll go the air route. Once I get that big compressor in the shop...

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 5:59 PM
Here you go Papul to complete your HF shopping

$3.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/04400-04499/04476.gif

$19.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/05400-05499/05490.gif

and you'll be good to go...:D

Paul B. Cresti
03-14-2006, 6:30 PM
Ok where are my expected price ranges here for one i will hold onto for ever?
In the up to 20k speed what can I expect to accomplish? What are the higher speeds better for? What is the best speed range for all around use? What are the uses and their suggested speed ranges? What is your favorite color? How fast does an African swallow fly?

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 6:46 PM
In the up to 20k speed what can I expect to accomplish? What are the higher speeds better for? What is the best speed range for all around use? What are the uses and their suggested speed ranges? What is your favorite color? How fast does an African swallow fly?

The answer to all of your questions is ....It depends. It depends on what you are doing, what tools you are using, what material you are cutting, the phase of the moon and the tides. For instance that rotary cutter in the last picture only turns at 18000 RPM max but with a 3" cutting wheel that equates to 160 MPH. I personaly wouldn't want to be holding a cutting wheel going much faster then that.:(

smaller cutter higher speeds...:D higher speeds removes more material faster and can give smoother surfaces but to high of a speed can melt some materials.

Paul, I forgot to answer you first question.

For instance You can get this Astro for $29.
http://www.dmstools.com/images/AP-1206A.jpg

or this chicago Pneumatic for $108.
http://www.dmstools.com/images/CP-860.jpg

tod evans
03-14-2006, 6:50 PM

paul, i like cooper tools stuff, their "brand names" are dotco, cleco, buckeye and masterpower.. any of these are good tools. ingersol used to offer the aro brand their new stuff is tai/chi....

for a first grinder look for 18-24k rpm and try to find a steel housing, buy used! if in doubt check prices at msc industrial;

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=2509&PARTPG=N2DRVSH&PMT4NO=0&PMITEM=60311651&PMT4TP=*LTIP
this should give you an idea of what to pay used..02 tod

Bruce Page
03-14-2006, 7:03 PM
Paul, If you're going to go electric, the Foredom has been the standard in industry for decades. For light duty / occasional use, the Dremel has saved my butt many times.

Lee DeRaud
03-14-2006, 7:08 PM
Here you go Papul to complete your HF shopping

$3.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/04400-04499/04476.gif

$19.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/05400-05499/05490.gif

and you'll be good to go...:DLooks like there's at least one part missing...do we duct-tape the burrs to the cut-off wheel or what?:eek:

Don Baer
03-14-2006, 7:14 PM

Ah Lee ya lissed my earlier post....:D

Lee DeRaud
03-14-2006, 7:31 PM
Ah Lee ya lissed my earlier post....:DOh, the cut-off tool is "in addition to", not "instead of"...gotcha.:cool:

Lou Morrissette
03-14-2006, 7:36 PM
Paul,

I've had a corded Dremel for many years and it has been my savior in many instances. For instance, drilling a .062 hole down in the corner of a box, cutting numerous pcs of metal with the small cutoff wheels, etc. It's one of those tools that gathers dust and then......it will do what no other tool in your shop can do. I've recently added the plunge base and that realy works slick on small inlays. Good investment for short $$.

Lou

Joe Chritz
03-14-2006, 8:36 PM
The only thing we use mine for regular is the dogs toenails. :D

It gives good service but is not an "industrial" unit by any means. If it gets occasional use it would be valuable. If it is going to be brought out every day then air would be cheaper in the long run.

Joe

Kelly C. Hanna
03-15-2006, 12:42 AM
I have a Dremel Advantage and love it....you can't go wrong with the first one on the market.

Norman Hitt
03-15-2006, 1:24 AM
Actually, the Air Tools from Harbor Frt seem to hold up quite well under heavy use, (much more reliable than some of their elec motor tools), but FORGET their cheap files, rotary files, drill bits, router bits, sandpaper, etc, EXCEPT for the occasional name brand sanding discs and grinding/cutoff discs they sometimes carry.

Mark Singer
03-15-2006, 8:13 AM
I use an angle grinder with carving blades...
Also die grinders like my Grex and their 2" sander is another geat help on curved work...

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/carving/99t3101s1.jpg

tod evans
03-15-2006, 8:40 AM
mark, try aluminum cutting burrs, you`ll be impressed...02 tod

Mark Singer
03-15-2006, 9:04 AM
mark, try aluminum cutting burrs, you`ll be impressed...02 tod

Tod, where do you get them? Isn't aluminum soft?

tod evans
03-15-2006, 9:20 AM
Tod, where do you get them? Isn't aluminum soft?

mark, any good supply house or search the "bay" yes aluminum is soft but it`s harder than wood:) some of the best cutters i`ve used are made by pferd out of germany ics is a us brand that`s common and of good quality too....02 tod