PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia

Glenn Hodges
03-14-2006, 1:31 PM
These 2 wee magnolia bowls were kind of bland so I added an inlay of malachite to the rim of one and burned a ring around it. I tried my hands at using analine dye on the other. Some people like dying the wood, and others say it has dyed and gone to he--. Both have lacquer finish. Your coments and critiques are welcomed.

Michael Stafford
03-14-2006, 1:40 PM
Glenn, that is a double WOW!! The dyed bowl is really an attractive piece. I love the look and the finish. The inlaid malachite bowl is also very attractive but for me the dyed bowl is my favorite. You know you are never gonna please the peanut gallery so don't worry what people say....;)

Andy Hoyt
03-14-2006, 1:41 PM
Well, if you don't like 'em send 'em to he**. The address is 35 Pines Road....

Keith Burns
03-14-2006, 2:02 PM
Wow Glenn, those are both wonderful. I have to say I like the dyed one best myself. I've wanted to try that but just havent worked up the nerve. Great pieces and if you don't like them, send them to me, not Andy. He would just ruin them by putting ice cream in them:D

John Hart
03-14-2006, 2:59 PM
They really are very cool Glenn...both of them...but I gotta choose the natural piece with the Malachite inlay as my favorite. Beautiful combinations of colors and a great form.:)

Gary Max
03-14-2006, 3:13 PM
The dye would be something new for me but I know the more different items you have for sale the better chance you have of making a buck. I like the one with the inlay rim myself but both are very well made.
Thanks for sharing

Jim Ketron
03-14-2006, 4:01 PM
Nice Bowls!
Love the looks of the dye job!

Mike Ramsey
03-14-2006, 4:47 PM
Glen, to get a proper evaluation you should seperate those
into 2 seperate posts. I love them both! but I clicked on the
red dyed one first and it bout blew my eye-balls out!! It
made the other kinda bland by the time my pupils returned
to normal ;) . As always you did a fantastic job!

Ernie Nyvall
03-14-2006, 5:02 PM
Well Glenn, if the dyed bowl was bland, the dye certainly picked up the differences in the grain pattern and popped them out to make a beautiful bowl. Your inlay has always fascinated me, especially the evenness around such a thin lip. That bowl looks great too. Thanks for posting.

Ernie

Cecil Arnold
03-14-2006, 5:17 PM
To quote a country boy,"ain't nothin' wrong with that (them)."

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2006, 5:21 PM
Great bowls. I do like the dyed one. Both look good. Nice work Glenn.

Chris Barton
03-14-2006, 5:23 PM
I like em both Glenn, good work!

Glenn Hodges
03-14-2006, 6:04 PM
I appreciate all the replies. The dye job is kind of new for me. I had done one in green once but it did not turn out as nice as this one. I might try some more with all the positive comments. My wife likes it also. Thanks again creekers.

Raymond Overman
03-14-2006, 6:13 PM
Nice looking bowls. I like the way the dye brought out the grain in the red one. Great jobs on both of them.

Rich Stewart
03-14-2006, 7:19 PM
I pick the second one. I really like that bowl. The dyed one is real nice too. Whats the procedure for dying a wooden bowl? I got tons of pine around here. Dying might be just the thing to turn an otherwise bland wood into something special.

Glenn Hodges
03-15-2006, 2:23 AM
I pick the second one. I really like that bowl. The dyed one is real nice too. Whats the procedure for dying a wooden bowl? I got tons of pine around here. Dying might be just the thing to turn an otherwise bland wood into something special.

Rich, after I sand with the 600 gritt, I apply the analine dye with a cheap China brush, let it dry. The wood fibers will be raised so I sand the bowl again with the maroon and grey synthetic steel wool pads. I then clean the bowl and apply another coat of the dye. I mix the powdered dye with water in a quart jar until I get the desired shade. I can shake it up each time to make sure it is mixed. I continue this until I like the feel and smoothness of the piece. Usually one sanding is enough and 2 coats of dye will do the job. After the bowl dryes I apply Deft Lacquer from the spray can.

Corey Hallagan
03-15-2006, 8:09 PM
Those are just too kewl looking! Nice work.

Corey